• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't know but it is a NSW Country side and if you want it to be supported in the Country the players should have some connection to the country.

Maybe the Easts and Randwick players will be considered if a suitable Country Origin player cannot be found for a position

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
yeah there it is a bit of a grey area for me, will all depend what takes precednt the coiuntry players current shute shield side or their origin, Im thinking logistically it is going to be easier to use the clubs as the first guide, meaning the randwick and Easts guys will get a bit of a look in at country.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But if the clubs don't want a player and he is country "eligible" will he then be considered for the Country team e.g. Matwijo(?) for Norths may be overlooked in the Northern Rays as there is a number of backrowers who may be preferred and therefore may be picked up by Country

T

Train Without a Station

It's not origin. Will not all players be eligible for all teams and market forces will dictate close to the best players end up spread out regardless of which SS club they play for?

Surely NRC supersedes SS and not the other way around.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyone else concerned with Darren Coleman being named head coach? From what I remember he hasn't been particularly successful and some in the Brumbies were glad to see the back of him. Or am I being harsh / senility creeping in?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Rising social media person indicated that squad announcements, memberships pricing and game day scheduling will be made in mid-July.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The Rising social media person indicated that squad announcements, memberships pricing and game day scheduling will be made in mid-July.

I read elsewhere that the Melbourne Rising already have a squad of non Super 15 players training.
I hope the lack of information about the Country Eagles is not a reflection of the progress being made to create a new team.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah that's correct. Preliminary squad made up of invited club players is training. I'd estimate around 40 but that's a guess based on one team's representation.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone else concerned with Darren Coleman being named head coach? From what I remember he hasn't been particularly successful and some in the Brumbies were glad to see the back of him. Or am I being harsh / senility creeping in?

Or maybe it was the Brumbies. Sometimes a coach doesnt fit one team then does well at another.

I'm not real sure how he'll go. TBH I wouldve liked to have seen his brother Scott get the gig but I believe he's with Italian team Benevento at the mo.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Didn't do much with Penrith or Norths either AS, both of those clubs were rooted to the bottom of the table (though in Penrith's case they have pretty much been at the bottom of the table for their entire SS existence except for a few years under the coaching of Scott Johnston and Matt Ryan).

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't Norths go well under Coleman? IIRC he took them to the semis in 2007. They then didn't go so well with Greg Mumm after that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Coleman got Toyota Shokki promoted to the Top League in Japan for this year.

He's a useful coach.

I wouldve liked to have seen his brother Scott get the gig but I believe he's with Italian team Benevento at the mo.

Scott had a great record at Newcastle, but a big reason why he got the gig at Benevento was because his brother coached them back in the noughties. They love the Colemans in Italia (Canada too).

Darren also guided L'Aqila to a promotion play-off in the Serie A in 2007–08.

One thing that's worth bearing in mind is that coaches who weren't big names as players tend to have to do more hard yards through the coaching ranks. Coleman was a decent player-coach but never a state-level or test player. He started coaching low-mid level teams and worked up.

More illustrious names (I won't mention them here) often get a faster track and better cattle.

Let's see how he goes with NSW Country.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didn't do much with Penrith or Norths either AS, both of those clubs were rooted to the bottom of the table (though in Penrith's case they have pretty much been at the bottom of the table for their entire SS existence except for a few years under the coaching of Scott Johnston and Matt Ryan).

Ah, I didnt know this. Doesnt look good on a Coaching CV does it. I guess we'll just have to sit back & see how it unfolds.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
First thing I'm going to say is I'm not Darren Coleman. Never met the bloke, and don't know him. ;)

You've gotta look at the teams on the CV and what they've done, not just the trophies. I'm only going back to 2005 but in each season coached since then DC has progressed with the cattle he's been dealt; either improving their record in the league and/or getting them into the playoffs.

Penrith:
2004 (0 wins, −644 pts diff) →​
2005 (DC: 1 win, −307 pts diff)​
Norths:
2005 (11th) →​
2006 (DC: 7th) →​
2007 (DC: 4th + QF)​
L'Aquila
2006/07 (S10: relegated 10th) →​
2007/08 (DC: Serie A, Div1, 3rd + play-off)​
Shokki
2010/11 (Top League: 14th, Relegated) →​
2011/12 (DC: West: 1st, + Challenge play-offs ) →​
2012/13 (DC: West: 1st, Won Challenge Promo to Top League)​

None of this guarantees him anything with NSW Country, of course. But he's paid his dues and worked his way up over about 15 years in coaching and knows how to get improvements from teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.