• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the general forum on the NRC it would appear that Country will playtheir first game at Coggee Oval. So much for the regional centres. Does this mean that Randwick will have more say over the team then first thought

If NSW Country play their first game in Coogee it will alienate a lot of country folks, who are meant to be their fan base.
At least some of these players have regional roots. Ethan Ford played for Kiama and Pat Dellitt is from Maitland.

It's the first weekend of the competition and they worked out that there weren't any games in Sydney so that fixture was put there as I guess they figured it would attract a good crowd against a Sydney team (Rams).

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it (so don't shoot the messenger!) but I believe that was the thinking.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It looked like David Horwitz and Sam Croke from the U20's will also be in the Eagles Squad, based on the segment on the Rugby Club tonight.

JimD

Frank Row (1)
All the players that featured on Rugby HQ are currently playing in Sydney. Yes I think there is going to be 4 or 5 current cockatoos maybe.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
All the players that featured on Rugby HQ are currently playing in Sydney. Yes I think there is going to be 4 or 5 current cockatoos maybe.

The names I've seen as committed are-

Sam Croke - Oz Under 20 - Norths Colts
Tim Metcher - Waratahs Gen Blue - Rebels
Stephen Hoiles - Tahs etc
Hayden Tidswell - Country
Tala Gray - Gen Blue
Kellaway - Oz 20 Wicks Ist Grade
Horwitz - Waratahs, Oz 20, Wicks 1st Grade

Looks like the Back row is sown up. Is Sam Croke the next John Eales or something? - its a big call to bypass grade into Rep Footy - particularly in the piggies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Tala Gray - Gen Blue

Looks like the Back row is sown up. Is Sam Croke the next John Eales or something? - its a big call to bypass grade into Rep Footy - particularly in the piggies.

Cameron Teloar is going to be turning out for country as well:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Tala Gray - Gen Blue
Brendan McKibbin, Easts, Tahs, etc

Fixed (McKibbin added)

Interested to see it the Eagles can land Jed Holloway. Yamba boy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first Country game at Coogee Oval followed by watching the 2nd Bledisloe at the club sounds like a solid option.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Two more i think you can lock away in this mix are Richie Stanford from Easts, from out in the central west area IIRC and Ned Hanigan from Randwick. Likely an Aus U20 next year and another from the Central West Region.

Hanigan might be young, but from a publicity perspective is right in the ball park and has played a bit of 1st grade and given they have picked up Croke from Norths, who is yet to play any 1st grade, i would hedge my bets and suggest they will take the punt!

What of the likes of Carraro? Would think is going to in there somewhere surely?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any Waratahs that play for Easts or Randwick can fairly safely be assumed to be part of this side I expect.

McKibbin, Gray, Chapman, Horwitz, Carraro, Kellaway (Tah next year).

I agree that Stanford will probably make the cut given his Super Rugby experience, plays for Easts and is a country boy.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Two more i think you can lock away in this mix are Richie Stanford from Easts, from out in the central west area IIRC and Ned Hanigan from Randwick. Likely an Aus U20 next year and another from the Central West Region.

Hanigan might be young, but from a publicity perspective is right in the ball park and has played a bit of 1st grade and given they have picked up Croke from Norths, who is yet to play any 1st grade, i would hedge my bets and suggest they will take the punt!

What of the likes of Carraro? Would think is going to in there somewhere surely?

Carraro is injured.
I agree with your logic as to how the selectors may be thinking.
I do however question the intelligence of picking Colts unless they have large amounts of First Grade under their belts.
Picking Colts will bypass a bunch of high quality players. Easts & Randwick both have some young forwards that have proven themselves in the Shute Shield which is recognised as a much tougher competition than the Bush or Sydney Colts.
For example, I just noticed that a good young Country player Nick Palmer, is making his first grade debut for Norths this week. He played Country Firsts last year and has been in 3rds at Norths most of this year. And Norths haven't been going that well.
Not sure the selectors will get it right. I guess, as the franchise is privately owned, the selectors can do what they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.