• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
First thing I'm going to say is I'm not Darren Coleman. Never met the bloke, and don't know him. ;)

You've gotta look at the teams on the CV and what they've done, not just the trophies. I'm only going back to 2005 but in each season coached since then DC has progressed with the cattle he's been dealt; either improving their record in the league and/or getting them into the playoffs.

Penrith:
2004 (0 wins, −644 pts diff) →​
2005 (DC: 1 win, −307 pts diff)​
Norths:
2005 (11th) →​
2006 (DC: 7th) →​
2007 (DC: 4th + QF)​
L'Aquila
2006/07 (S10: relegated 10th) →​
2007/08 (DC: Serie A, Div1, 3rd + play-off)​
Shokki
2010/11 (Top League: 14th, Relegated) →​
2011/12 (DC: West: 1st, + Challenge play-offs ) →​
2012/13 (DC: West: 1st, Won Challenge Promo to Top League)​

None of this guarantees him anything with NSW Country, of course. But he's paid his dues and worked his way up over about 15 years in coaching and knows how to get improvements from teams.

Great post to counter the very inaccurate post about his Shute Shield form. My recollection was that both teams improved under him and regressed after he left. Your facts support that.

Beast642011

Frank Row (1)
I also am not DC, but have been privy to process that just recently appointed Darren Coleman as Director of Rugby at Easts so I actually have his CV here in front of me.
To add more detail to Kiap's comments
He was coaching the Waratahs Academy at 24, a full Super team staff member (Skills Coach) @ 26, before coaching/playing 5 years abroad in Ireland, Italy & Canada, where he won 4 consecutive provincial championships in Canada and a 1st ever National Super League with Calgary Mavericks, and did well with a low budget team Benevento, not high level Rugby but a good grounding for a very young Coach.
Upon returning to Sydney he did 3 years with Penrith (who actually won another 5 games in the Shute Shield section of the competition that year, far exceeding previous seasons and took North's from 12th to playoffs in 2 seasons.
At the conclusion of this he teamed with John McKee and Lachlan Fear to win the inaugural ARC, so out of all NRC coaches in the League he is the only to actually have tasted success in the this format.
Another short stint at LAuila before 3 years at the Brumbies, his Academy program there they recruited & produced many current Super players - Hooper, White, Colby Fainga, Robbie Coleman, Sam Carter, Hugh Pyle etc etc and had very high winning success rate with the Brumby Runners thru 3 per-seasons.
Then back to 3 years in Japan when the shit hit the fan in Brumby land with the senior team, which has now led him back to Sydney Easts and NSW Country Eagles.
We are more than happy with the programs he is putting in place at Easts to improve our football development and recruitment and hope to bear fruit next season from this going forward.
I understand his recruitment drive for the Eagles is progressing well under trying circumstances and senior Super players Hoiles, Chapman, Douglas, Ashley-Cooper, Beale are keen and excited to be a part of the Eagles.
The NRC competition is about providing opportunities, from my short knowledge of the guy he does deserve a crack and our support,
Carn the Eagles!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I have coached with and against DC, he knows what he is doing. He is a guy that wont have a problem challenging Wallabies if he has to.

Will he have the sway to stop selection bias towards lads currently playing in the bush though, I wonder.
I would be concerned that the Aussie Under 20s beat NSW Country by 50 and that the standard out there may be too big a leap for the Country Lads to go straight to the 3rd tier.
I have been following a lad who played for the Country Cockatoos last year and moved to the City this year. He has played mainly 2nds & 3rds in a Club that is in the bottom half of the Comp.
Its a big jump.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From the general forum on the NRC it would appear that Country will playtheir first game at Coggee Oval. So much for the regional centres. Does this mean that Randwick will have more say over the team then first thought

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My latest mail is that Ethan Ford and Kuki Maafu from Randwick 1st grade have been the only ones to have been contacted

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On the Rugby Club last night they did a bit on the Perth side and Brad lacey the winger from the U20's said that he was looking forward to playing Country against Kellaway and Pat dellitt

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
If NSW Country play their first game in Coogee it will alienate a lot of country folks, who are meant to be their fan base.
At least some of these players have regional roots. Ethan Ford played for Kiama and Pat Dellitt is from Maitland.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Play
If NSW Country play their first game in Coogee it will alienate a lot of country folks, who are meant to be their fan base.
At least some of these players have regional roots. Ethan Ford played for Kiama and Pat Dellitt is from Maitland.
Yep playing at coogee is outrageous, if Randwick wanted a team playing there they should have put their own damn one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.