• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday lunch time and still zip to see - most uncharacteristic. Only schools have posted their squad

Monday lunchtime and still nothing.

It is now nearly a week since the announcement was made in the papers.

I assume that the successful boys in the SJRU selection have been told somehow, by some means, (another gaggerlander has implied that a certain player had received a phone call) and that the grapevine has done the rest. If a family didn't get the paper, and didn't subscribe to G&GR, and their lad wasn't selected, HTF would they know where they are? Has SJRU personally rung all 92 regional trial players to inform them yay or nay?

Poor form by SJRU to assume.

G

G&GR News Bot

Greater Public Schools have downed a solid and at times skilful Combined High Schools side by 47-3 at Knox Grammar School on Friday.

Although CHS started well with a penalty in the third minute that came from a bustling run from second-rower Ofiu Manukeu, it was GPS that controlled the game and made the most of the CHS turnovers.
It wasn’t until the sixth minute that GPS came to light and a solid scrum from their pack eventually led to a penalty and a show of confidence with GPS kicking to touch. The GPS side was outmuscled only two phases later and CHS came back with their second turnover for the half.
A very strong showing from CHS breakaway Brandon Paenga-Amosa kept the CHS team in the hunt but eventually in the twelfth minute the first GPS try was scored by St Joseph’s College winger Josh Wilde. The try was converted by fullback Andrew Kellaway and this set the tone for the rest of the match.
Only moments later St Ignatius’ breakaway Jack Dempsey’s constant pilfering at the breakdown paid off with a 30-metre run and try under the posts to make the score 14-3.
CHS were ruing the missed chances, and another led to a twenty-metre run and try to Kellaway. This was helped by the space created by a slick pass out wide from five-eighth and captain David Horwitz. And this blew GPS’s lead out to 16.
CHS eventually marshalled the muscle in the forwards and almost had a five-pointer, only to be held up by some scrambling GPS defence. A CHS penalty only moments before half-time was turned over, leading to a wonderful 95-metre GPS team run that went through a string of passes and was eventually finished off by halfback Andrew Ferris. This made the score 26-3 to GPS at the break.
GPS came back from the break with the same attacking prowess, and the Scots College combination of Horwitz and Kellaway kept GPS in a strong position. This skilful attack led to the first try of the second half to the Kings School centre, Lalakai Foketi.
It was all GPS for the rest of the game, with the lead blowing out to 37 points at the 50-minute mark. In the 55th minute Horwitz turned on the skill that has him in contention to captain the NSW 1 side for the Australian Schoolboys Championships early in July, showing great vision to see an unmarked Harry Jones on the wing, and with a cross field-kick, Jones was given a run down the sideline and he made simple pass to centre Foketi. The try sealed a convincing win for the GPS 1 side.
Although CHS looked at times much physically stronger than the GPS side, the skill and structure shown by many of the GPS players — in particular captain David Horwitz and fullback Andrew Kellaway — put the highlight on the GPS squad ahead of the selection of the two NSW teams for the Australian Schoolboy Championships.
GPS 47 (Josh Wilde, Jack Dempsey, Andrew Kellaway 2, Andrew Ferris, Lalakai Foketi 2 tries, Andrew Kellaway 6 cons) bt CHS 3 (Jake McIntyre pen).
GPS 1: Andrew Kellaway, Harry Jones, Lalakai Foketi, Tanne Milne, Josh Wilde, David Horwitz (c), Andrew Ferris, Mitchell Whitely, Tom Murphy, Jack Dempsey, Fergus Lee-Warner, Harrison Rourke, Tomas Robertson, Ben Carolan, Oscar Pryor-Lees.
CHS 1: Adrian Delore, Dan Boland, Harry Brown, John Porch, Brent Anderson, Jake McIntyre, Zeb Buchanan, Albert Hemopo, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Billy Whalan, Ofiu Manukeu, Connor Vest, Matagi Sau, Jake Kay, Aisea Tukipili.

Continue reading...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SJRU U16 team for Nationals is finally up on the web site:

Congratulations:

The team has already been posted elsewhere, but here goes again.

L.Burland, G.Lehmann, H.Taylor (Beercoft - Cherrybrook),
S.Blair, C.Leach (Sylvania),
S.Cater, J.Clancy, N.Clancy, J.Hayson, C.Menzies, E.Pritchard (Mosman),
T.Tangitau, T.Glasson, J.Loto'aniu (Hillview),
S.Kirby, R.Vevers, J.Woodhill, N.Burkett (Chatswood),
T.Molloy, P.Olver (Lane Cove),
T.Rudolph (Coogee),
A.Black (West Harbour),
N.Fiapuleniko (Dural),
J.Rivers (Coach)

Bill McLean (32)
I know it is not directly related to rugby however NSWRL have just announced their U/17 team to play the touring England U/18 team next week at the NSW Academy Sport for 25 July 2012. It includes the following 'dual coders':

Taane Milne (Centre)
Michael Morgan (Wing)
Tepai Moeroa (Interchange)

I guess it will be some consolation for Moeroa who was not selected for one of the Australian teams, and Morgan who tore ankle ligaments at his school association's rugby union trials!

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
I know it is not directly related to rugby however NSWRL have just announced their U/17 team to play the touring England U/18 team next week at the NSW Academy Sport for 25 July 2012. It includes the following 'dual coders':

Taane Milne (Centre)
Michael Morgan (Wing)
Tepai Moeroa (Interchange)

I guess it will be some consolation for Moeroa who was not selected for one of the Australian teams, and Morgan who tore ankle ligaments at his school association's rugby union trials!

Congratulations to these boys, especially Tepai and Michael. I hope you also seen my post re: CCC selection numbers in Aust School League teams on the 'Selection Bias' thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see that the Under 15's CIty v Country result, and NSW team to take on ACT and QLD has been posted on the NSW U15 thread.

Any results and match reports from Under 16, & Under 17's ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big day of Rugby. Under 16 s City won 25 to 7. I hear City won all games unsure of all scores other than 14 s City 36 to 7.
Woodrat was there so may be able to update. Contrast also to mini Woodrat on making the NSW 15s side.

Cross post from National U16 Thread for information.

Z

zulumuster

U17 Sydney v Country Results: Sydney 27 to Country 19.
Sydney 5 Tries and 1 Conversion. Country 3 Tries and 2 Conversions.
A good game of rugby in very windy/cold conditions. The difference between the two teams was Sydney used their backline. I was sitting next to a Dad from Country and the ball really didn't go out to either wing once.

NSW Under 17 Team announced after the game (Note some names will not be correctly spelled as I wrote these down with lots of noise around. Apologies to any I missed. They chose 23. The list as read out):

• K Ashwell
  • H Brown
  • B Cotton
  • J Anderson
  • D Fleming
  • C Fleming
  • C Fenwick
  • C Angeloni
  • N Koutsoukis
  • E Aukafolau
  • J Taefotu
  • J Taweel
  • P Maa
  • J Vainikolo
  • B Paenga-Amosa
  • B Wicker
  • R Powter
  • B Walsh
  • T Winterstein
  • T Davis
  • T Lewis
  • C Kagiassis
  • J Parkes
Maybe someone else can correct any names I misspelt or missed.

Well done to all those boys selected and also to the boys who missed out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
City Vs Country Results:
U/14s SJRU 36 defeated CJRU 7
U/15s SJRU 19 defeated CJRU 12
U/16s SJRU 25 defeated CJRU 7
U/17s SJRU 27 defeated CJRU 19

At the conclusion of the U/15s and U/17s games the NSWJRU teams to play ACTJRU in mid September and QldJRU in October were announced:

NSW Under 17
Joshua Anderson Liam Baker
Cale Angeloni
Keanu Ashwell
Eric Aukafolau
Harrison Brown
Ben Cotton
Tyson Davis
Cody Fenwick
Damian Fleming
Corey Fleming
Christian Kagiassis
Nicholas Koutsoukis
Tim Lewis
Peter Maa
Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Jackson Parkes
Ryan Powter
James Taefotu
Joshua Taweel
Josh Vainikolo
Blake Walsh
Brent Whicker
Trent Winterstein

NSW Under 15
Liam Baker
Phillip Bradford
Daniel England
Max Girdler
Ben Gunter
James Hawkins
Louis Heaton
Reece Hewat
Harry Holmes
Conor Hurley
Henry Hutchison
Cameron King
Tom Lever
Sepesa Loga-Torogi
Jack McGregor
Will McRae
Jack Nettleton
Guy Porter
Jacob Richards
Max Stewart
Jacob Storey
Kirk-Steven Tuiavii
Cyprus Tutunoa

Source: http://nswjuniors.rugbynet.com.au/

Bill McLean (32)
I trekked out to the bush to watch the games and I was somewhat bemused by some of the selections TBH.

Can someone explain if a coach's son becomes ineligible for selection in the NSWJRU team because their father was the coach of SJRU team?

There were two SJRU lads who I thought were worthy of selection in the NSW team; Laga'aia (the prop) and Hanigan the lock. I'm quite mystified at the non-selection of these two, especially Laga'aia who not only outplayed his opposition but was by far the best SJRU prop!

This is exactly what happened to Trent Winterstein after the last years Regionals (i.e. was the best player and wasn't an original SJRU selection until the uproar of complaints).

:( :(. :(

Wannabe Selector

Frank Nicholson (4)
I trekked out to the bush to watch the games and I was somewhat bemused by some of the selections TBH.

Can someone explain if a coach's son becomes ineligible for selection in the NSWJRU team because their father was the coach of SJRU team?

There were two SJRU lads who I thought were worthy of selection in the NSW team; Laga'aia (the prop) and Hanigan the lock. I'm quite mystified at the non-selection of these two, especially Laga'aia who not only outplayed his opposition but was by far the best SJRU prop!

This is exactly what happened to Trent Winterstein after the last years Regionals (i.e. was the best player and wasn't an original SJRU selection until the uproar of complaints).

Unfortunately there is always a sacrifice to make and it is the connected pathway that some of these kids have from there parents involvement in Rugby. Seen it, was surrounded in it and have been dissapointed from it. And if I could be honest it sucks when you have seen your son play hard and work hard to make something and he knows in his heart he was a better player than his opposition and not be chosen. You are probably aware my sons all played rep and went to Westfields from previous posts and I went through the same thing as a father with politics and I tell you it is hard. You burn out as a parent.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)

Newbie,

They won't admit to it but there is a quota of Country players who must be picked each year. If you look at last years NSW selections there were exactly 7 Country selections in each age group. In the 16's they were the better team in a drawn game and only got 7 while they were spanked in the 17's but some City boys had to make way no matter.

Bill McLean (32)
SC & WS,

I agree with what you both say, however both of the abovementioned lads were standout forwards.

Correct me if i am wrong but did the Hanigan lad not make a good break to score a great 'meat pie'? I know his set pieces (particularly the line out) were great! Clean ball all day from his jumping!

As with the Lagaaia lad his scrummaging and defence were superb. Haven't heard a lot of him as far as representative rugby goes, but recent searches suggest he has always been on the fringe of higher honours (e.g., was a MSZ rep and CHS U/16's rep). I believe he is also in the NGS program so he can't be half bad!

Also noticed that Paenga-Amosa was selected! Now correct me if I am wrong, but was he not a no-show at the 'State Championship' from which the u/17 SJRU team was selected? Don't get me wrong the lad is a quality talent, but he elected not to participate in the SC. I was hearing that he was medically dispensated for the SC and hence his return into SJRU team after certain injuries to other players. Well that being the truth how was he then able to participate in the opens schools trials during the same period?

For mine it would seem that loyalty to Club Rugby is not reciprocating! Bad luck boys (i.e. Hanigan and Laga'aia) your cream will eventually rise to the top!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Broken record time. Loyalty to Club rugby is not an issue if you are a talented player. About 1/2 the SJRU U16 team do NOT play any regular village club rugby. They qualify for SC via a loophole which exists but IMHO is morally wrong.

SJRU select these ghost players to represent them because they are good rugby players and will help them to beat Country and QLD. Ego stroking.

Bill McLean (32)
Broken record time. Loyalty to Club rugby is not an issue if you are a talented player. About 1/2 the SJRU U16 team do NOT play any regular village club rugby. They qualify for SC via a loophole which exists but IMHO is morally wrong.

SJRU select these ghost players to represent them because they are good rugby players and will help them to beat Country and QLD. Ego stroking.

Tis' a sad state of affairs!

I personally know of one SJRU lad who was heard to speaking of NSWJRU representation before he had even taken the field (i.e. knew he was in the team).

So much disenfranchisement, and then they all ask why we are not able to beat the 'All Blacks (and others) later on! Come to me I have a theory!

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
The loop hole may be an important tool to limit he amount of football these players are asked to play, each raised level is a lift in intensity and strain on these large but still growing bodies. Players are watched and noted for a range of skills and temprement for several seasons and some understanding of their capcity is built up over time. once these lads are playing rep footy they will be asked to play school and rep footy,
two games of high collision sport in this time frame is likely to be to much. ask them to play village club as well, a third game in the week! will subject many to long term injury before they even start playing adult rugby.

Dont allow this loophole and you have only the school stream to go through, thats worth while if you are from AICEs or CCC isn't it. that too will disenfrannchise players

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't agree Wood Rat, the "loophole" is currently being used by many players as a back up plan in the event they do not make the School side they trialled for.
An easy way to avoid this would be for the kids to nominate at the start of the season their choice of pathway.
Either they choose the School route, or the village route. See how many "phantoms" turn up to state champs if this was in place.
Only those that currently play in the Village comp,should be a representative of that comp.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
So the kids in the politicaly weeker associations that should have a chance at reps through that avenue should nominate for club rugby
and leave the schools to GPS and CAS. that would make a few a little more comfortable
Though Its more likely the latter currently having their cake and eating it too
I thought broadening competition, not restricting it would be more likely to improve results

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kids playing regularly for both village club and school should have both pathways open to them. They should not be penalised by having their pathways restricted to one.

Kids who are not playing village club regularly, or are registered with a village club for convenience only, should not be allowed to represent Sydney Juniors, play at NSW JRU State Championships, or represent NSW JRU. There are strict rules enforced for participation in SJRU village club finals series to prevent ring ins and rorting. These should be similarly applied for Rep teams for State Champs.

Unless a kid has a genuine and legitimate reason not to play at State Championships, then they should not be selected for Sydney or NSW Juniors. Legitimate = injury, or "my district does not have enough players to form a rep team".

Kids who are prevented/discouraged from playing village club rugby by their school are in a tough situation. But if having two pathways is that important to them, then change schools. Only one pathway - Schools for them.

Wood Rat, there is a thing called a parent that has a duty of care to their sons to manage how much sport they play. One Rugby pathway is not going to achieve this. I suppose you are aware that many kids are doing rugby and mungo games. During the rep season, these demands can mount up for the more talented athletes, ie School rugby, Rep school rugby, Mungo club, rep mungo, Mungo development programme.

Parents (albeit many will not exercise this right) are ultimately responsible for managing the amount of contact footy in both codes. In some socio-econommic groupings, there is current financial incentives (and a dream of massive future financial incentives) that prevent parents from limiting the amount of footy played.

Mungo and Rugby will never meet and agree to reasonable game time limits across codes for the duel coders.

Status
Not open for further replies.