• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Can anyone fill us in on the story behind the victorious Manly 17s
I heard it was a "face book invitation" team driven by a hand full of players. Is there more to the story than this or is it exaggerated

J

Josh Phillips

14's was very entertaining all carnival. In my opinion ACT were the strongest team throughout but were beaten by the better team in Norths this morning and Norths went on to win the carnival. Thoughts on under 14's?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Facebook story about MMM U17 could be true. They only had a bench of 3 players, and it looked like a Colts player was their coach.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
U11's NSWJRU Champs went to script with the 2 best sides meeting in the final. Manly were dominant all weekend & will be the team to watch in coming years.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
True. Thoughts?
If true is a response to my question in post 81 the instigators should be in line for significant levels of praise. The most posted on threads in this forum are about the successes of pampered players that are used to being the centre of attention. It is often suggested those players get a little lost when they turn up at colt or grade games watched by as many early morning dog walkers as support crew.
This group of young men have approached the game from a forgotten place and put a value on the u17 state cup that many others don't. They managed themselves and won. Just getting on the field was a victory in itself.
It's easy getting somewhere when there is a path prepared...... These blokes seemed to have made their own !!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wood Rat, they nearly didn't make it to the victory podium after their star #10 Ben Crerar came off injured early in the Grand Final game. He injured his shoulder in a tackle and as he was making his way to the sideline like a bird with a broken wing, he pulled off a try saving tackle. He was gone good and proper after that. The 3 man bench for Manly was down to 2.

In a rather bad day all round for #10's, the Central Coast #10 had to be assisted from the field early in the game with what appeared to be an injury to the gentlemen's department. He made a cameo re-appearance later in the match after the gentlemens department had recovered.

Back on Manly U17, the programme lists 1 coach and 1 manager. One team in the U17 had no less than 3 Coaches, 2 Assistant Coaches, and 2 Managers, and a full squad of 25 players listed in the programme. The Tent embassy that team had at St Lukes park rivalled anything that the SES would deploy at a bushfire triage centre.

Rahrah

Frank Row (1)
Yes it is true that the victorious Manly U17 team was formed by a number of the players who had been competing at the State Championships since the U10s. The coach was in fact an U17 player who was injured and out for the season. The boys trained and prepared themselves and borrowed jerseys from the colts team of which several of them now play. No fancy marquees for this team, instead they used an old paint stained tarp to put their gear on. They were a real credit to themselves and showed a lot of guts to take out the championship.

Rahrah

Frank Row (1)
On an unfortunate note, whilst the U17 Manly team were on the field contesting the grand final some low-life/s raided their bags in the dressing room and stole all their cash and several mobile phones.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So in addition to using disabled parking spaces for VIP's, the organisers at TG Millner provide an environment where participants valuables are less safe than leaving them in the open on an old paint stained tarp.

The news of the changing room low life act would have put a damper on the weekend for the team of Fibros from Silvertail town.

Big Bopper

Frank Row (1)
Can anyone fill us in on the story behind the victorious Manly 17s
I heard it was a "face book invitation" team driven by a hand full of players. Is there more to the story than this or is it exaggerated

It is good that a team can be pulled together via Facebook, but what about the eligibility rules?? Be registered with a club team-easily done, play 4 club games in 2012 or 2013- not so easy on fb. I saw a couple of names in this team that play league and look like ring ins. How many others were ring ins?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The volunteers from West Harbour Juniors deserve recognition for running a very slick operation at St Lukes Park over the weekend during the Pool play and Semi Finals of the Under 16's and Under 17 State championships. I hope that they made a fist full of dollars to plow back into their juniors programme from the Canteen and BBQ.

It was also very pleasing to see that the Referees association took the games very seriously with most (if not all) referees wired up for sound, and each referee seemed to have their performance observed by at least one referee coach. A couple of games I saw, there were at least two clipboard wielding Referee coaches assessing the performance of Sir.

There will always be spectators that have significantly better ability to see infringements, and far superior knowledge of the laws of the game, who feel that they are obliged to provide constructive advice to the Referee during game time over and above that which is provided by the Referee Coach who is assessing the individual and providing feedback using a technique and process that is endorsed by the Referee's association. It is a real shame that these extremely knowlegeable and competent folk continue to eschew the opportunity to showcase their skills by actually volunteering to referee games. We humble rugby folk deserve nothing less than to be enthralled by the brilliance of their performance out in the middle.

In general I felt that the referees communication with the players was first class, as well as the signals given by the referees after the Acme Thunderer was tweeted.

U

Unders Line

The finals at TG Milner were all extremely close matches. 14s,15s and 16s showed the depth of NSW rugby. I especially enjoyed watching the 15s game, Eastwood and gordon. Eastword were the underdogs going into the game against the powerhouse gordon, but they stood up and proved themselves

BlueandRed

Frank Row (1)
Camden Rugby Club did an excellent job hosting the U12s. Plenty of friendly volunteers, a good parking set up and grounds in really good condition. Made for an enjoyable weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is good that a team can be pulled together via Facebook, but what about the eligibility rules?? Be registered with a club team-easily done, play 4 club games in 2012 or 2013- not so easy on fb. I saw a couple of names in this team that play league and look like ring ins. How many others were ring ins?

There wasn't the usual stampede of Ghost players in the Under 17's that we are used to seeing in the Under 16's. With no second chance into National schoolboys competition at stake, it is not surprising that this occurred. Any Ghost players at U17 level are usually there because they simply love playing footy.

As someone has said above most of the Manly boys have been playing together since Under 10's and attended most championships since then. There weren't many names in the Manly 17's lineup that weren't in last years Manly U16 team. Previous years programmes are long gone but most of the names in the Manly mob seemed to be "familiar" to this scribe. The lad in the programme from Campbelltown did not play for Manly, nor did the lad listed as "Wests?". Presumably the programmes were printed before all the dispensation applications were granted.

This is a good segue into my usual rant about the level of Open grade competition in SJRU. I saw that Eastwood had 3 players who's club was listed as Colts. Someone has previously posted that the West Harbour #9 was playing Colts 1 for the Pirates. Rahrah has said that some of the Manly boys were also playing Colts footy. Most of the Sydney District teams in the U17's were from only one or two village clubs. Southern Districts did not enter a team, yet their Sylvania Bulldogs are close to the top of the SJRU Opens Competition table.

Eastern Suburbs had no teams > U14 in the programme and only 1 boy listed as "on loan" to another district in U15-U17s section. No Randwick teams in U16 or U17, No Manly U16 team, No Hobbits in U17, No U17 Norths (despite being previous multiple State champions in this cohort), Gordon U17 team belted. What hope is there for growth and expansion in Sydney's West when there are very limited numbers in the Senior ranks of Heartland (North and East of the ANZAC Bridge) Junior Village club footy?

Lets assume that the Manly boys met the eligibility criteria (let's face it, it's not too hard to meet), and I know that Kerry Brady and her team at NSW Juniors work pretty hard to review all dispensation applications to ensure compliance with the criteria (albeit rather loose). The criteria does not exclude kids playing Fivekick only (or Colts) this year. As long as they are registered with a Club in 2013 and played at least 4 games last season. Then you have the likes of Bonnie West policing the sign-ons. Not much gets past her.

Things are crook in Tallarook, when a team of boys who want to play together do not have a regular competition that they are happy to play in. There is a SJRU Opens competition but for some reason there is no Manly Roos team playing. An examination of the team lists in the Shute Shield Colts competition web site reveals that there are a stack of kids (over and above the kids that "dropped down" to play for U17 State Champs) who would be eligible to play U17 or U18 SJRU juniors competitions. The question has to be asked why are they not playing for Juniors?

The SJRU, NSW JRU, SRU and NSW RU need to have a decent look at the Under 16-Under 19 clubland environment and critically examine if the current structures and pathways are still appropriate and relevant.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Eastern Suburbs had no teams > U14 in the programme and only 1 boy listed as "on loan" to another district in U15-U17s section.

The Easts positions is even worse than it looks.
The U13s were purely a one side club team that will be playing again this Sunday in the SJRU comp in very slightly different jerseys.
I cant speak for U14's but I'd be surprised if the position was much different.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
The finals at TG Milner were all extremely close matches. 14s,15s and 16s showed the depth of NSW rugby. I especially enjoyed watching the 15s game, Eastwood and gordon. Eastword were the underdogs going into the game against the powerhouse gordon, but they stood up and proved themselves

In the 15's, Norths might feel hard done by that they didn't lose a match all weekend, including beating Eastwood in the pool matches, but didn't make the grand final.

Agreed though, a fantastic weekend of rugby.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
In the 15's, Norths might feel hard done by that they didn't lose a match all weekend, including beating Eastwood in the pool matches, but didn't make the grand final.

Agreed though, a fantastic weekend of rugby.

Don’t know if North’s were hard done by, unlucky for sure but as they say that’s the luck of the draw. Few would have given Eastwood a chance of making the finals and that’s the beauty of the tournament - like Samoa making the semi’s a few world cups back it enhances the competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't get started on that old chestnut.

At the last Diveball World Cup in Safferland, the only team that didn't lose any matches all tournament was the All Whites team from New Zealand. The eventual World Championship winners (Spain, I think - don't really care) lost a game in pool play.

Despite what some parents may think and act like, the NSW Junior RU State Championships is not the World Championships of the most popular football code in the world.

The "best" team frequently doesn't make it to Grand Final, let alone win the Premiership. This phenomena is even more apparent in a condensed tournament like the State Champs. The team that scores the most points in the Grand Final is the declared the Champion/Premier.

There is always next year for the Norths boys. "Revenge" is a meal best served cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.