• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm happy to announce that the GPS Representative Teams were announced today. According to reports, the teams are made up of the following members:

1st Team:
  1. Grammar (Captain)
  2. Grammar
  3. Joeys
  4. Riverview
2nd Team:
  1. Joeys
  2. Shore (State Team)
  3. Scots (State Team)
  4. Sydney Boys
3rd Team:
  1. Kings (Winner of the Lawrence Campbell Prize)
  2. Shore
  3. Scots
  4. Riverview
Congratulations to all who were selected.

Note: I received this information from a secondary source, so please take it with a grain of salt. However, to the best of my knowledge, it is accurate.

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
I shouldn't need to remind people that it is pretty cruel to the kids to post fake or unverified team lists. I know for a fact some of the rep teams have upset by some of the comments/predictions made on here about them.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
I've seen some truly middling speeches from them

Asdyjftj, thank you for ensuring that information about teams is accurate before it's shared. It's crucial to disseminate reliable information to filter negativity and avoid offending anyone.

debators

Frank Row (1)
I'm happy to announce that the GPS Representative Teams were announced today. According to reports, the teams are made up of the following members:

1st Team:
  1. Grammar (Captain)
  2. Grammar
  3. Joeys
  4. Riverview
2nd Team:
  1. Joeys
  2. Shore (State Team)
  3. Scots (State Team)
  4. Sydney Boys
3rd Team:
  1. Kings (Winner of the Lawrence Campbell Prize)
  2. Shore
  3. Scots
  4. Riverview
Congratulations to all who were selected.

Note: I received this information from a secondary source, so please take it with a grain of salt. However, to the best of my knowledge, it is accurate.
unusual for GPS to have a school completely unrepresented. Even if that team isn't having much success

Debating4life

Bob McCowan (2)
so you are telling me a team that is coming 3re has 2 speakers in gps 1sts and the out of the 2 teams tieing at 1st at the moment (Joey's, shore) only 1 speaker us in 1sts, and both state speakers in 2nd. Also if you are so close with gps tabulation can you reveal when the teams will be released to society and not on some random rugby forum
I will rear my head again to remind us that last years' successful GPS 1sts comprised of 2 Grammar students despite not winning the competition.

However, to the certain members stirring speculation without justification, please disengage or provide legitimate information. You do no benefit to anyone, especially to the kids. Yes, it is Green and Gold and it is worthless chatter, but unfortunately, many parties relevant to the competitions, including the children and the selectors, see what is posted. Stop, whether it is unintentionally or intentionally, hurting kids' prospects.

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
Are these team lists accurate? Do you have a source? Are these in speaking order? Is the Scots State Speaker in the 1sts or 3rds?

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
1s: Scots Grammar Shore Joeys
2s: Joeys View View Grammar
3s: SBHS Newington Scots Kings
If these lists are accurate I don't see why speaker caps are too much of an issue? Especially in the firsts, given the incredibly tight contest where Joeys Scots and Shore have broken the traditional Grammar stronghold I don't see how speaker caps locked out strong speakers from potentially making 1s. Perhaps in the 2s and 3s...

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not all of barkers 1sts made CAS 1sts but I do agree with you, the speaker cap ultimately negatively impacts the rep teams but also stops good speakers from making rep teams because they have teammates that are really good.
Yes a Barker seconds speaker did make CAS firsts. In GPS it looks like there are no Grammar Year 12’s who made reps, even though they won ISDA !

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes a Barker seconds speaker did make CAS firsts. In GPS it looks like there are no Grammar Year 12’s who made reps, even though they won ISDA !
If true, I agree this is surprising re GPS, cap or no cap. Also, of all the ISDA grand final speakers, looks like only 1 speaker has made a firsts rep team.

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes a state team bias clearly evident by Shore and Scots cripplingly bad performances. Shore is surely not at the top of their ladder having beaten Joeys and Grammar. Scots surely doesn't have one of the best debaters in the state presently. Stop with these useless and silly insinuations and wake up to the truth. The state team selection process is one of if not the most thorough trials that are conducted by world class adjes and debaters. Don't mind the grammar support and they definitely are a good team with noteworthy debaters but just because the firsts GPS team isn't an all Grammar team don't start dragging down debaters who have time and time again proven their competency.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
The GPS Firsts Team is:
First Speaker: Scotts
Second Speaker: Grammar
Third Speaker: Shore
Fourth Speaker: Joeys

Predictions for Round 1 against CAS?