• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I have now spoken to some who were there yesterday and from all appearances ISA were totally outclassed by a slick CHS team. No excuses were given but it was pointed out that this was the third game for CHS and the first for ISA and mostof the ISA team played yesterday and the team were disrupted by injuries. However, CHS were clearly the better team.

The back three for CHS were very good and the side was well led by their captain at half. The 7 broome was the best player on the ground when he came on.

As for ISA things need to improve and hopefully with a few changes the performance on Friday will be much better. I was told that Dombkins led the team well and tried all he could to get his team going forward. He couldn't play his normal game in attack as CHS had most of the ball and when they did get some possession ISA turned it over or kicked it too often back to CHS. Aside from his leadership his defence was good and he too often was the only forward trying to compete with the CHS forwards at the breakdown. He also jumped well in the lineout. Menzies also did well after getting a call up to the 1's but the cattle around him left him a bit stranded. Natoli must be the half on Friday with possibly Purcell at five-eigth to try and get the centrefield defence stronger and get some attack going.
Al in all a very imressive effort by CHS, who given the team GPS has picked, could complete a clean sweep on Friday. ISA will improve and here's hoping will get up over CAS

As an appointed couch selector may I make some recomendations to the ISA selectors for fridays game. Move the 3 to 8 where he plays for Oakhill. This will provide more go forward and bulk to the backrow. Replace him with the Oakhill 1 playing in the II's as he is big and skillfull with the ball. If Domkins is unfit then bring in the Oakhill 7 from II's and look to play an uptempo game and move CAS around the park with two opensides (particularly if Talakai and Ingram-Melsom play as they can't be at peak condition yet). Agree with promoting Natoli and playing Purcell at 10. I would then ask the Oakhill 12 to make himself available for the match as he is in outstanding form and bring the 13 with him if sundays 13 is out injured. I couldn't persevere with Menzies as CHS went through the middle far too many times on the weekend (Broomes second try was farcical defence). The other option would be to promote the two St Andrews centres although one was out injured and the other played 4 in the II's on sunday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No 9, I thought these were trials for NSW opens? It is not about point scoring between associations. It's about seeing which individuals go on to the next level.
How about instead of getting Oakhill to play in ISA jumpers, the kids that played the best at the ISA trials keep playing.
Why would you sabotage last years NSW1's 12 by playing him out of position to accommodate an Oakhill kid that wasn't even there on Sunday?
BTW I thought Broomes 2nd try was an example of a beautifully run line, impeccable timed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I said that I might write of the Twos game between ISA and CHS but ran out of time. I thing I would like to mention though is the superb play of 7. Kelepi Leao (Hills) on both attack and defence. It was much the same against CAS.

Anybody know if he's still U/16 qualified, or not - or what year he is at school?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I said that I might write of the Twos game between ISA and CHS but ran out of time. I thing I would like to mention though is the superb play of 7. Kelepi Leao (Hills) on both attack and defence. It was much the same against CAS.

Anybody know if he's still U/16 qualified, or not - or what year he is at school?

Lee

kelepi is in year 12 and will turn 18 this year

J

justinlippy

Can anyone confirm this and be a little clearer? What's on Sunday? I thought it was GPS v CAS 5:30pm on Tuesday night - and then 3:20pm GPS v CHS on the Friday afternoon....

cheers

O

OppO

Can anyone confirm this and be a little clearer? What's on Sunday? I thought it was GPS v CAS 5:30pm on Tuesday night - and then 3:20pm GPS v CHS on the Friday afternoon....

cheers

Yes this is correct to my knowledge with the seconds at 4:00pm etc...

Rugbyfish

Stan Wickham (3)
[
=no9;253179]As an appointed couch selector may I make some recomendations to the ISA selectors for fridays game. Move the 3 to 8 where he plays for Oakhill. This will provide more go forward and bulk to the backrow. Replace him with the Oakhill 1 playing in the II's as he is big and skillfull with the ball. If Domkins is unfit then bring in the Oakhill 7 from II's and look to play an uptempo game and move CAS around the park with two opensides (particularly if Talakai and Ingram-Melsom play as they can't be at peak condition yet). Agree with promoting Natoli and playing Purcell at 10. I would then ask the Oakhill 12 to make himself available for the match as he is in outstanding form and bring the 13 with him if sundays 13 is out injured. I couldn't persevere with Menzies as CHS went through the middle far too many times on the weekend (Broomes second try was farcical defence). The other option would be to promote the two St Andrews centres although one was out injured and the other played 4 in the II's on sunday.[/QUOTE] you don't support oakhill at all do you?? So you are suggesting dropping one of the two or three best players in the whole of the ISA comp in the form of dombkins after one weaker than normal game?? And I would move Purcell either as I believe his next game will be 10 times this one as I heard he was carrying an injury against C.H.S.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thanks - he is very good for a Twos player, isn't he?

kelepi is an outstanding player who comes along when there is someone just a little better in fornt of him - Gordon Broome.

kelepi has been in NTS in the past and his undoubted skills have been noticed lately. he has a good allround game and he could play 6 or 8 quite easily. From what I have seen so far this year there aren't too many in front of him. i think Broome will get the 1's spot but the two's spot will be between kelepi and Walters, with the one missing out on the starting position getting a bench spot in NSW.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Earlier today I was feeling rather jealous of those people missing work et al to watch the GPS/CAS game this evening. Looking westward from my window high over the CBD at the moment, I believe that not quite to be the case....

Not that I should be gloating about it.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Earlier today I was feeling rather jealous of those people missing work et al to watch the GPS/CAS game this evening. Looking westward from my window high over the CBD at the moment, I believe that not quite to be the case....

Not that I should be gloating about it.

if your a cas fan you wont be too happy
in the 3rds GPS got up 46 -0 and in the 2nds GPS again 27-0

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
if your a cas fan you wont be too happy
in the 3rds GPS got up 46 -0 and in the 2nds GPS again 27-0

GPS 1s 34 defeated CAS 1s 19 in a see-sawing game. When one considers an 8 school group defeats a 6 school group the score is about right.

Will be interested in comments from Lee Grant but I think a few reputations were damaged this evening. It will be a much more `cosmopolitan' team than our GPS fans were predicting( as it always should be!)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS 1s 34 defeated CAS 1s 19 in a see-sawing game. When one considers an 8 school group defeats a 6 school group the score is about right.

Don't agree with the suggestion that its an 8 school group against a 6 school group particularly at 1's level - it's 6 v 6

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Don't agree with the suggestion that its an 8 school group against a 6 school group particularly at 1's level - it's 6 v 6

Crap. You are implying that no boy from Grammar for example is ones standard and that is crap. Go look at colts to see why I am right.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Both responses don't disappoint me!

Should be an interesting dayat Graeme Mapp Oval(Curragul) on Friday.
Oh yeah CHS have 100s of schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.