• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I talked to one of the 2nds CAS coach and he made it clear that this was a very understrengthed 2nds team with a couple of Knox and Barker 2nds players making the squad due to so many injuries.

Had a look at the CAS 2 squad for this friday's game against ISA, Keep an eye out for Rowley (2nd rower returning from injury)..think he made NSW u16 last year, very tall. has been standout for knox 1sts this year.

I think CAS II's are playing CCC. GPS II's are playing ISA II's

K

KeenEye

Williams' elevation to CAS 1 is interesting. Only 16 yrs...and a real talent.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There has been a lot of people saying that players won't make it from GPS 2s. Every year a number of players are selected from GPS 2s who go on to make NSW and then Australia after that. The NSW selectors are smarter than the GPS fools and realise that often players have been picked in the wrong GPS side, or as is also often the case, the GPS has the 2 best players in those positions so they both go through.

The same applies for the CAS 2s except this year they really don't have any talent. Several years ago Nathan Charles made Aus schoolboys from CAS 2s. Ben Whittaker was CAS 1s hooker that year and also made it.

This year i expect the following GPS 2s lads to be a real shot at further selections:
Horwitz
Gallagher
Dempsey
Walters
Roods - (even though he hasn't played i reckon he will still get picked)

Luani made GPS 2s last year and he seemed to be as dominant a player as anyone in the GPS comp. It didn't stop him from making Aust Schools.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Bursle out?

I see that the CAS team for Friday has a couple of changes:
*Jac Cameron(K) coming in @ fullback
*Forward pack being rejigged with Orr(T) moving to back-row and Rowley(K) replacing him in 2nd Row.

Does anyone know what happened to Bursle???

T

T.Rugby

I see that the CAS team for Friday has a couple of changes:
*Jac Cameron(K) coming in @ fullback
*Forward pack being rejigged with Orr(T) moving to back-row and Rowley(K) replacing him in 2nd Row.

Does anyone know what happened to Bursle???

I'm pretty sure he is fine, from what I know he has just gone away with the family.

T

theboss

Looks like he has been withdrawn (as of this morning) - as have quite a few of the 16s decided to concentrate on their own age group.

Big week end at Knox - don't miss it!

Williams' elevation to CAS 1 is interesting. Only 16 yrs...and a real talent.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Congratulations on their reasoning and foresight to ILMF and no9 in suggesting JJ Purcell has the skills to play at 10. My understanding is that ISA agree and he'll be playing there tomorrow along with a couple of other changes to the run on side as well. No doubt he will aquit himself well and press for higher selection.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Congratulations on their reasoning and foresight to ILMF and no9 in suggesting JJ Purcell has the skills to play at 10. My understanding is that ISA agree and he'll be playing there tomorrow along with a couple of other changes to the run on side as well. No doubt he will aquit himself well and press for higher selection.

Lets hope Purcell plays to his undoubted ability and leads ISA to a solid performance that will help showcase all the players contributions tomorrow

O

Old Offside No7

CHS v GPS tomorrow ... Broome (CHS) out with bulging disk. Baldwin (GPS) out with continued ankle injury ... feel sorry for the player but it is a facse at the GPS selection table that Baldwin who has been out injured for the past 4 weeks was able to be selected. He was obvoiusly never close to even 80%. Walters comes back up to GPS1s No 7 spot. Like OppO I would loved to have seen the match up between to 2 real form No 7s gunning for the NSW 1st spot.

C

CrashTackle

CHS v GPS tomorrow ... Broome (CHS) out with bulging disk. Baldwin (GPS) out with continued ankle injury ... feel sorry for the player but it is a facse at the GPS selection table that Baldwin who has been out injured for the past 4 weeks was able to be selected. He was obvoiusly never close to even 80%. Walters comes back up to GPS1s No 7 spot. Like OppO I would loved to have seen the match up between to 2 real form No 7s gunning for the NSW 1st spot.

Old Offside No7...are you talking about Broome v Walters or Broome v Baldwin. If you mean Broome v Walters..I'm with you. Broome is a quality player & Walters is the inform & fit No 7. Would have been a cracker as both have competed for years & would have lifted for the ocassion.

O

Old Offside No7

Old Offside No7...are you talking about Broome v Walters or Broome v Baldwin. If you mean Broome v Walters..I'm with you. Broome is a quality player & Walters is the inform & fit No 7. Would have been a cracker as both have competed for years & would have lifted for the ocassion.

Sorry ... Broome v Walters. Both are in NTS are are the only real candidates for the NSW No7 run on spots.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
im thinking the CCC hooker-Hamish Austin will have a big game here today, strong running in the past and mobile around the field, keep an eye out, seen a couple club rounds and looks the goods, but never doubt GPS- Gulifoyle presents well

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
14 all, Kellaway scored in the corner with minutes to go and Le Leivre slotted it to tie it all up
CHS were the better side i thought but GPS just stuck in there
GPS front row were very good (besides scrums) and i think Guilfoyle may have got the NSW 1s spot
Gutherson and Le Leivre both very good i think Gutherson will get the 1s spot but wouldnt mind if Gus got it either
CHS 8 who i think was Broome was there best

O

Old Offside No7

GPS 1s 14 - CHS 1s 14 (7 all at 1/2 time)
GPS 2s 47 - ISA 5

Nothing in it really, very physical forwards game, hardly any breaks to allow the backs many options to really shine. With CHS playing together as a team for a number of weeks/games they did seem to have better combinations happening in key areas (which you would expect), especially seen in the CHS 9 & 10 combo who out shone & put pressure the GPS fly halfs como in defence ... GPS actually played well considering this fact & the GPS outside backs did ok with limited opps. As such GPS as a whole should feel 'ok' with a draw.

Thankfully Broome did get the on the paddock (NB. left the field with about 15 mins the go). As such the match-up v Walters was able to take place. Both had good games in this tight encounter - On one occassion Broome made a takle & turnover in open play, then in the next ruck Walters stole it back!! Toss a coin on selections here as both are great! One will be in NSW1s & the other in NSW2s - daylight third.

No2 position is still open as no stand out as Guilfoyle (GPS) didn't execute the fundamentals right (i.e. lineouts) & the CHS No2 just did what was necessary (NB. game was very tight & others maybe be better to comment on the dark arts in the frontrow - but this was fairly even today). Now this will not happen but - Pity that Baraket (GPS2s No6) who has impressed this year has not played at No2 (was selected in NSW 2s in 2010 as a prop). He was strong in 2nds v lesser oppositon be maybe a potential for NSW selection again due to his versatility?

Status
Not open for further replies.