• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Not a comment about the game today, but can anyone tell me why these games are held only 2 days after these boys play for their respective schools?

I know the schools have a tight game schedule but surely they could set aside a number of weekends for these games instead of having 3 games played in one week. With niggling injuries and recovery times, some of the players may not play to their potential.

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
Now that all the teams have had a game to showcase the selected players it is interesting as to who the main selection contenders will be in the various positions.

In my opinion only!

At No15 Kellaway-GPS stands out with CHS's 15, Paterson-CAS and Cochrane-ISA having some good moments.

Wingers to impress so far have been Taylor-ISA and Jones-GPS.

Centres seemed to be an easy selection until Stewart and Moeroa were missing (what odds they are the Combined States pair). Foketi-GPS and Milne-GPS would be front runners with Barclay-GPS and Redden-GPS a show unless someone from CHS, CAS or ISA pulls out a big one on friday.

No10 is likely to be Horwitz-GPS and McIntyre-CHS with Deegan-GPS pressuring them both. Hodge-CHS would also be a show but is out injured for a lengthy stint I believe.

Half back is tough as there are two distinct styles on show at the moment. There are the organisers like Jenkins-CAS and Ferris-GPS against the threats to defence like Natoli-ISA, Pulver-GPS, Gonzales-ISA and Delore-CHS.

Whiteley-GPS is the standout No8 with Hemopo-CHS showing some form. Moala-CAS may be 1 year too early and needs to increase his aerobic capacity while Moylan-GPS is honest.

Murphy-GPS and Tuckwell-ISA are the 2 best No7's at the tackle contest and around the field and can jump if required in the lineout. Randall-GPS is a smaller version of the other 2 minus the lineout option with Amosa-CHS needing to attack the ball more than the man at the contest.

Dempsey-GPS stands out here at No6 with Lloyd-ISA and Williams-CAS both converted locks the next best. Selectors may be tempted to go with 2 opensides or convert someone to a 6 if nobody stands up on friday. I'd personally go with the 2 flyers if the rest of the pack is big enough.

Rorke-GPS is one lock in front of Lee-Warner-GPS, Manukeu-CHS, O'Donahue-GPS, Philip-ISA, Linaker-ISA and Afele-CAS in no particular order.

Props should come from Robertson-GPS, O'Connor-ISA, Pryor-Lees-GPS,Faigataa-CHS,Tukipili-CHS, Satui-CAS, Orr-CAS, Sandell-GPS and Sau-CHS (I think 8 are selected in this position)

Carolan-GPS and Wilson-CAS would be favourites with Kitchen-CAS next from Cook-ISA and Kay-CHS

Please remember these are simply observations gleaned from watching what has been on show in this years rep trials to date along with attending GPS,CAS and ISA games for this age group over the past few years. I'm happy to hear other peoples views as well.

nice analysis pine. From recent trials the team will look something like this IMO:

1 Robertson
2 Wilson
3 O connor
4 Rorke
5 Phillip
6 Dempsey
7 Murphy/Randall
8 Whitely
9 Natoli
10 Horwitz/McIntyre
11 Foketi
12 Milne
13 Barclay
14 Jones
15 Kellaway

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
GPS III 95 - AICES 0

Unfortunately this game was a waste of time for both teams. Any decent AICES player couldn't show his wares and the GPS players couldn't be assessed properly either. At least the GPS guys showed some admirable unselfishness in their repeated raids.

Even with those constraints one could say that 10. Tulloch had a top facilitating game for GPS.

If they want a GPS IIIs game next year and CAS don't want to put forward a team I suggest that they play a President's team made up of lads who didn't get selected in any of the association teams, including GPS and AICES.

GPS II 36 - CAS II 25 [6 tries to 4]

The score was about right but could have been a bit closer had CAS taken some key passes. GPS ball work was not perfect either: typical of trial games, some of the faster players arrived too early for the magic ball. These faults from both sides made for a scrappy match.

• For CAS 4. MTA was noticeable for his ball running. 6. Naude, 8. Moala and 13. OCO also had excellent, skilful games.

• The stand out player for GPS was 12. Reddin. He was stopped near the line once and had a lot to do to score but he drove through and dotted it down. Another time he stepped 3 times off his left foot to amble over to score. He doesn't use supporting runners as much as he should, and one time he dropped a ball cold in his 22 when GPS was playing too much rugby and CAS scored from it, but he had an impressive match otherwise.

• 10. Deegan also shone. His passing is getting Larkham-like at the schools level and he has the gift of not passing the ball too early. And just when you think he has to mix it up a bit he grubbers through neatly for a team mate to score. Was probably the best flyhalf of the day.

• 4. Donahue was the best GPS II forward, doing stuff from taking restarts over his head, slipping passes, and showing leg drive when stopped. Got a card for cynical play though. Hooker Vea also had good moments but seagulled too much. My advice to him would be to mix it up more with harder play closer in. 8. Moylan showed a lot of power when stopped and is one to watch.

• 3. Sandell re-injured his shoulder and must be in doubt for the next game.

GPS I 35 - CAS I 12 [7 tries to 2]

This match was memorable for its execrable goal kicking. Horwitz and Kellaway came up with a duck egg when attempting 7 conversions.

The GS pack was too strong. Their scrums were good and they were more powerful in the physical contests, more often, and any pro team would like to counter ruck as they did. Their goal line defence was of a higher order also

CAS
• Some of their better players were in their back three: 15. Patterson, 14. HCR and 11 Wileman. Though Paterson set up Wileman for the opening try of the game and they had a few opportunity episodes, they didn't get a lot of great ball through the hands. Would like to see what Patterson and HCR would do in a GPS rep side.

• 3. Satui had a few good barging runs but didn't have the intensity of the likes of 2. Carolan and 3. Robertson from GPS.

• 9. Jenkins has to run more but was probably the best scrummie of the day anyway because not many of the others ran well either either. He didn't take my eye at Cranbrook last week but his no frills accurate passing, delivered lickety split, gave his back line every chance.

GPS
• I was not that impressed by 1. OPL who seemed to be off the pace. At least 3. Robertson, who was switched to THP to give OPL a gig, had no troubles on the TH side in the scrums. Nor did 5. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) demonstrate any reason why he was playing in the Ones ahead of 4. O'Donohue from the Twos. On the other hand 4. Rorke looked every inch the Oz Schools player he was last year. Good runner, hard player.

• One of my favourites, 6. Dempsey, was the player of the day for any side and was like a force of nature, looking like a schoolboy version of Keiran Read. Looks like he has put on a few kilos from last year too. His View team mate 8. Whitely also played well and once showed his skill in delaying a pass for Carolan to score. Handy in the lineout too.

• 14. Jones and 15. Kellaway had some marvellous attacking moments. Kellaway has the knack of knowing where and when to burst onto the ball. I'm still not convinced that he is a top custodial fullback but he can certainly punt the ball and run with it. Jones often did a lot with nothing.

• 12. Milne and 13. Foketi were sometimes brilliant but not that often, together. It was shades of 12. Apo and 13. Hingano from years gone by: each showing running skills as individuals but not the one helping out the other. Milne was the main culprit since he got the ball first, and it was a pity because a couple times they worked together and time stood still.

• 10. Horwitz did a couple of good things such as delaying a pass beautifully for a walk in try, but he didn't look like an Oz Schools flyhalf. Mind you: McIntyre from CHS didn't either on Sunday - and both kicked crap for goal. But let's watch them oppose each other in the next game before we judge too harshly.

• 7. Randall played today instead of Murphy who told me he had discomfort from a cork on the inside of his knee, but said he should be OK come Friday.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Have to agree with IIWII - that the main match was a pretty flat affair, particularly in the 2nd half.
I think the posts to date summarize things generally pretty fairly - although I question the penalty count against GPS.....seemd a little more than their fair share.
Interesting to note the comments herein about the GPS 2's halves - who it seemed to me played pretty well, but have been replaced by Tulloch (K) & Lussick (N) for Friday's match. Also agree that it is unlikely that Sandell will back up - over hearing comments from some people near him at the end of the match today. Shame - he's a pretty useful prop for mine, and IIR was captain of the NSW Schools U16 team last year.
As noted - goal kicking was woeful all day.....and will have to be looked at for matches against Qld etc coming up.
Thought the CAS tried to smother the GPS backs, and not give them too much room to move - which worked pretty well , however, the GPS backs defence was pretty good when it mattered. I think there was at least one 10-12 minute stint where CAS just couldnt get the ball down across the line following repeated raids, which were repelled with what could be described as ruthless efficiency ?.
Hopefully the weather will remain fine foir Friday's matches, and we can see a little bit more of the puzzle falling into place as far as the next round of selections is concerned.

Cheers
The Hound

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NEW TIMES & VENUE FOR FRIDAY
Knox Grammar School – Curagul Field
Bobbin Head Rd North Turramurra
Friday 22nd June
Country v AICES
Kickoff @ 9:45 am
GPS III v CCC
Kickoff @ 10.55 am
CAS II v ISA II
Kickoff @ 12:05 pm
GPS II v CHS II
Kickoff @ 1:15 pm
CAS I v ISA I
Kickoff @ 2.25pm
CHS 1v GPS 1
Kickoff @ 3.35pm
Good luck seeing the end of the last game starting at 3.35pm on the shortest day of the year (near enough).​

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting to note the comments herein about the GPS 2's halves - who it seemed to me played pretty well, but have been replaced by Tulloch (K) & Lussick (N) for Friday's match.

Also agree that it is unlikely that Sandell will back up - over hearing comments from some people near him at the end of the match today.

We must have been pretty near to each other yesterday as I was yacking to the Joeys parents in that area. Yeah - he injured the same shoulder he had trouble with before and though he is named for Friday I think he is at long odds to play.

It may seem odd that Deegan has been demoted to the IIIs but sometimes things are not what they seem. I thought he was the best flyhalf of any team yesterday and would not be surprised if he plays half a game for the IIIs and a lot of the 2nd half for the Is.

As I wrote in my earlier post: Tulloch played well for the IIIs yesterday and the NSW selectors may have requested he and Lussick, who was rated only 4th by GPS selectors, play at a higher level and ditto for Deegan, if he comes off the Is bench.

NSW selectors often request association selectors to make such changes.

On the other hand my assessment of Deegan's high standard of play yesterday could be completely bunk and I am wrong.

Again.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah - he injured the same shoulder he had trouble with before and though he is named for Friday I think he is at long odds to play.
-------------------------------------------

Find out tommorrow at training whether he will be able to play on Friday. Same to Tevita Vea (hooker GPS 2nd) as well - head cut.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Good luck seeing the end of the last game starting at 3.35pm on the shortest day of the year (near enough).​

Actually I think they have lights out there...they can play day/night cricket so it should be OK. But I have no idea why they have shoved it out there...It is at the end of the world...

C

Casnovian

Agree with most of your report but the CAS prop Satiu was a liability.
He walks around the field too often, is a target for attacking runners because of his lack of mobility and poor lateral footspeed.
Golden rule is that if a player looks fat, they are and he needs some serious conditioning work.
The GPS 6 was the stand out I think you're referring to above.

Perhaps it would be instructive to talk with some of the props in the compettiton and take a poll of the information you get from them in what they are being coached and moreso what they are being told the selectors are looking for and rating them on. I understand it is the heavy and exhausting grunt work - where weight plays an important part with their technique particularly in set pieces - so that ball is maximised to the backs - it only works well when it is all synchronised.

Current coaching is that respective players have very distinct roles and jobs to do. When the more mobile roles are not performing theirs - its more than telling.
It's usually battling up the proverbail creek without a paddle! There was nothing wrong with his performance - particularly when he is compared to the other CAS I forwards.

Maybe why forwards "generally" think backs don't have a clue about what is involved in their role and often the topic of friendly banter between backs and forwards.

Benn Robinson and all of the Wallaby and Australian front rows would match the golden rule - as would most of the forwards in the international sides particularly the English and South African Teams.

I confidently predict Junior Satui will continue on to Bigger and better things in the future.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Elfster - Didn't notice that they had lights though I've been there a lot of times. The game has probably been moved there because it's perched on a hill and drains well - though the main Knox ground handles the wet brilliantly.

Loyd Hemmer

Frank Row (1)
10. Deegan also shone. His passing is getting Larkham-like at the schools level and he has the gift of not passing the ball too early. And just when you think he has to mix it up a bit he grubbers through neatly for a team mate to score. Was probably the best flyhalf of the day.
Yes Deegan being the best fly half of the day and thats why he go dropped to GPS III​

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought Horwitz was the best of the day. He made few if any errors and displayed all the attributes required in his position.
IMO he is the strongest defender by a significant margin, something that should not be lightly dismissed at the next level.
I am not convinced that Deegan is solid enough defensively at the next level, and whilst he did some great things, there were too many unforced errors IMO. I am convinced that Clark is not solid enough ATM(perhaps due to shoulder injury).Vevers was behind a beaten pack and was unable to shine.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yes Deegan being the best fly half of the day and thats why he go dropped to GPS III

No need for the sarcasm Loyd. I wasn't the only person at the ground who thought that. One of my buddies who follows Knox, and an ex-board member of Riverview, both thought the same thing.

And anyway give me credit for acknowledging my fallibility:

On the other hand my assessment of Deegan's high standard of play yesterday could be completely bunk and I am wrong.

Again.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Elfster - Didn't notice that they had lights though I've been there a lot of times. The game has probably been moved there because it's perched on a hill and drains well - though the main Knox ground handles the wet brilliantly.

Well I am pretty sure that there are lights there, and they are fairly recent.

But have known to be wrong before. Quite often in fact!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You are probably right and I just haven't noticed them, having not ever been there when they have been needed.

But if you are not, join the club.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Perhaps it would be instructive to talk with some of the props in the compettiton and take a poll of the information you get from them in what they are being coached and moreso what they are being told the selectors are looking for and rating them on. I understand it is the heavy and exhausting grunt work - where weight plays an important part with their technique particularly in set pieces - so that ball is maximised to the backs - it only works well when it is all synchronised.

Current coaching is that respective players have very distinct roles and jobs to do. When the more mobile roles are not performing theirs - its more than telling.
It's usually battling up the proverbail creek without a paddle! There was nothing wrong with his performance - particularly when he is compared to the other CAS I forwards.

Maybe why forwards "generally" think backs don't have a clue about what is involved in their role and often the topic of friendly banter between backs and forwards.

Benn Robinson and all of the Wallaby and Australian front rows would match the golden rule - as would most of the forwards in the international sides particularly the English and South African Teams.

I confidently predict Junior Satui will continue on to Bigger and better things in the future.
That's why the world is a beautiful place...people have different opinions.
Let me state again that I hope he does do the hard work and realises his potential. He's not a tall guy so he'll need to get the weight/strength/mobility ratios right going forward.

As these guys play higher level rugby both the physical intensity and pace of the game increase dramatically.
If Satiu is subjected to even the next level of rugby, say the National Schoolboys Carnival, he will struggle to have any juice in his legs to make a difference in scrums. Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

Props need to play rugby, not just scrum and that's why Kepu holds down the tight head spot ahead of Palmer. While Kepu has definitely improved as a THP, Palmer is the better scrummager but can't hold a candle to Kepu's efforts around the field, particularly efforts like his cover defending against Wales last weekend.

I have no vested interests here and haven't pushed the merits of any props.
Here's hoping that Satui kicks on.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yes Deegan being the best fly half of the day and thats why he go dropped to GPS III​

All the people i have talked to that were at the games, two of them are very anti-Deegan and pro-Horowitz, agree that Deegan was the best 10 on the day. Agree with Lee that moving Pulver and Deegan to the 3s could be too allow them a half in 1s. Also told that Barclay and Redden were probably the best centre pair of the day.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
All the people i have talked to that were at the games, two of them are very anti-Deegan and pro-Horowitz, agree that Deegan was the best 10 on the day. Agree with Lee that moving Pulver and Deegan to the 3s could be too allow them a half in 1s. Also told that Barclay and Redden were probably the best centre pair of the day.
I thought that 12 is a problem, no one has really put their best foot forward.Redden was very strong with the ball in hand, but very weak in servicing those outside. He looked quite exasperated with himself at one time when yet another of his passes was ill directed.I think it made sense to give him a chance to be a finisher on Friday as he does have skills.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I agree in general with most , if not all , of the assessments .
I must say however , that I felt very sorry for Clunies-Ross , in both the CHS game & this game in particular , stuck out in the wilderness with
little opportunity to show his ability.
I hope the selectors give him a chance to show his wares at fullback , in one of the future games .
He is an exciting player to watch , & as LG said above ,it would be very interesting to see him in a team such as GPS .

Status
Not open for further replies.