• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
I'm just back from watching some rugby at Hunters Hill and the conditions are absolutely atrcocious!

This is no weather in which to play selection trials (except maybe if you're a forward).

I don't know how the grounds at Hills Grammar cope with wet weather, but the grounds at Rat Park, as good as they are for drainage, will not cope with this deluge!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The weather may have been atrocious Newbie but the ground is always in good nick compared to others in the city with the same conditions. It's right on top of the hill and has all kinds of drainage.

The ground was bad at Rat Park yesterday for the Shute Shield game but it recovered well today for the trials and wasn't half bad considering.

Here is something on the games but don't put too much money on the scorelines as the scoreboard wasn't working.

Country 17 - CHS II 10

• Country had some fine players in their team. Put some of these lads in a private rugby school in Sydney and ... well, you can write the rest yourself.

• I liked the play of dynamite runner 8. Lind of Merriwether and the bustling 2. Dick of Terranora, a fine runner. 9. Creighton of TAS had a zippy game too.

• CHS II looked like Browns Cows sometimes though to their credit they came back strongly when 0-17 down in the 2nd half with a couple of trles when subs came on.

ISA II 15 - CCC 14

There were 5 scores in this game and the lead changed 5 times. It's a pity that CCC dropped so much ball because they had the winning of the game otherwise. To be fair to the ISA IIs lads, all except the Kinross and Auggies lads had a competition game yesterday.

CHS I 20 - ISA I 19

ISA had 13 St. Augustines players starting and fortunately for them the scheduled Auggies Saturday game was washed out; so they were fresh.

• The CHS pack was stronger on the ball and at oranges were ahead 15-5: 3 tries to 1. But in the 2nd half the trademark Auggies game, sparked by their talisman 9 Natoli, went into action. Sometimes he ran too far in front of his supports but he drove them down the other end of the park a lot.

• 11. Taylor of ISA was a handful and two team mates with league bloodlines: silky runner 13. Blake and good show and goer 15. Cochrane did their dads proud. Near the end of the game Cochrane was forced out for what, in hindsight, would have been a winning score in the corner.

• CHS was better than against CAS and had ISA on the back foot early, then seemed to tire in the 2nd half as ISA moved them around. But when it mattered they came back to win the chokkies with a try in the corner set up beautifully by 15. Porch.

• 13. Brown had a storming game reminiscent of the Inman brothers and 9 Buchanan back from an infection distributed well. 10 .McIntyre, subbing for the injured Hodge, who is out for 6-8 weeks, was class as a passer and runner though one never sees a tactical kicking game from him - though for all I know he may have one. But I think Jake will be the first to admit that he is not a very good goal kicker.

• In the forwards 8. Hemopo and 1. Faigata'a both ran through tackle after tackle, often for long gains, as they did sometimes against CAS. 5. Manekeu also parted tacklers again and must have a shot at a state jersey. But let's see how he compares to some of his rivals in GPS first.

Bill McLean (32)
Thank you LG for the posts! Compendious as ever.

Well Tuesday is the next big day rugby fans, and we finally get to see this formidable GPS 1's backline in action!

I have just consulted with the beautiful and ever agreeable 'SIRI' on my iPhone and she is telling me that we have two days of glorious sunshine heading are way (I wish my wife was like that).

So Iggies might be a little soft underfoot but generally speaking it should be a great day!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
View must be one of the crappest grounds after a big wet. I hope that there's a strong wind from the desert to dry the cricket pitch area.

I'm sure there's a desert around somewhere.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
View must be one of the crappest grounds after a big wet. I hope that there's a strong wind from the desert to dry the cricket pitch area.

I was there on Saturday and the cricket pitch was covered and the rest of the ground looked in reasonable condition

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

Agreed, the field is atrocious! What time is the game?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Lee,

I also attended yesterdays trials and in general terms agree with some of your observations but feel you have overlooked a few issues from the day.

In regard to the Country vs CHS II's game I was unfortunately delayed by the lights on Pittwater road either being in sync or out of sync to every red light between Neutral Bay and Warriewood and missed all but 10 minutes. Those that I spoke with were happy to see Country play well but were less generous in their appraisal of the CHS II"s performance, which having watched them in the 2 previous games against CAS and AICES I understand.

In regard to your comments about the ISA II's performance I think you don't pay them enough credit for what they achieved. The opening to the game was powerfull structured rugby but as you rightly stated most of them were still recovering from the previous days competition games in very leg wearying conditions and had the benefit of a single training run 3 weeks ago, so sooner or later the standard of play would have to falter. As usual there were also a couple of late changes due probably to injury sustained the day before and the standard dropped noticeably in the second half when the bench was utilised (particularly in a couple of vital positions where the boys playing don't get regular 1st XV exposure each week).

The opposition on the other hand have been together for a couple of weeks having been in training camps and had played the CHS I's two weeks ago. Most CCC players would have come into this game without a saturday game to play as well (a distinct advantage at this level) and as you stated, again quite correctly, they still lost. Yet with all these factors taken into account I interpreted your comments to imply that ISA II"s were undeserving of winning the contest. On the other hand I see it as confirmation of the grit and determination that some of the ISA II's boys have to overcome the hurdles that keep being placed in front of their rugby development. Having watched the I"s game that followed I would say that some outshone those who were selected instead of them and would hope they are rewarded for their efforts.

With regards to the I's game it panned out pretty close to how I envisaged it, 2 teams with different strengths and styles. But with CHS's larger forward pack dominating the smaller ISA pack they had to live with less football than they are usually accustomed to. The CHS wrecking balls made large inroads into and through the ISA defence at times and forced ISA into using a lot of energy in defence. The ISA lineout was also very one dimensional with the 2 jumper being used about 90% of the time but that is not the best ball to launch attacking raids from. ISA came back into the game in the second half as the CHS boppers started to walk between plays and the smaller mobile ISA players started to find some space. I know it suits Augustines to play with a number of forwards not committing to the breakdown but I don't think it works at this level as the CHS backs contained the opposition for much of the game and didn't allow the half breaks that they capitalise on. I am also an admirer of the cattle dog like play of Natoli, but yesterday was not one of his finest performances being caught in possession a number of times and turning the ball over, perhaps a larger forward presence would have helped. All is not lost for ISA's game against CAS on friday but a couple of changes would be justified on individual performances in my opinion.

At the end of the day scores in these games are immaterial to the selection process. Selectors watch for those who can perform their role competently on an individual basis and are technically proficient. From yesterdays games I would say some managed that while others were found to be wanting and I would have scored most of the individual battles in favour of CHS although some would be very close. Looking forward to tomorrows games.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Why at St Ignatius? Rat Park?
Neutral(dry) Ground?
Its not as though they have to freight the boys in from all over.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Lee Grant and stonecutter

Between the 2 of you guys GREAT WORK!!!!!
It certainly looks the goods as the days roll forward. Hopefully the pitch will show some entertaining Rugby tomorrow for those attending. I like most others are stuck at work, but wouldn't mind seeing early updates LG or S/C???

G

G-78-XV-V

I watched the GPS boys train today, the pack speaks for it's self...what I'm realy looking forward to is the combination of 13, 14 & 15 they look to be fast ,skillfull and have a great understanding, I think they will run riot....

N

Norse Man

Saw the CHS 1s vs ISA 1s yesterday. Commendable performance by Auggies! CHS back line were awesome. One noticeable omission was Reece Hodge sitting on the bench. Is he injured?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Following all the criticism of the ISA selectors , I presumed that perhaps a number of the best players from ISA schools would be playing in the ISA 2's.
While there were a number of good performers , to be honest I was expecting to see a little more.
I take on board Stoncutters comments above , & if a number of this team were backing up from the day before , this then may have taken the edge off some of the
performances.
However , it should not be forgotten that they were playing against the CCC team , which , with respect , is not one of the traditionally strongest school associations .
If you look at the programme , you will see that the vast majority of CCC players come from Rugby League playing schools & surely this should be taken into account .
I'm not sure of the reliability of his information , but on speaking to one of the CCC players who impressed me , after the game, he informed me that that was his first game of Union(?)
This is not intended to be a criticism of the ISA 2's , but rather a commendation of the CCC team who for significant periods of the game were on top , & didn't allow ISA
to play to their undoubted potential .Having said that , I expect some of the ISA II guys to be promoted for Fridays game .

Also I would like to add my praise to the Country schools coaches & selectors , who in recent years have been forced to select their boys from an ever diminishing pool of players , but who
turn out a fifteen who play with great spirit & enthusiasm , & which was justly rewarded with a win over CHS II.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
In regard to the Country vs CHS II's game I was unfortunately delayed by the lights on Pittwater road either being in sync or out of sync to every red light between Neutral Bay and Warriewood and missed all but 10 minutes.

Next time, take the Wakehurst Parkway, before that (if you had come from across the harbour) go to Chatswood/Roseville turn off from the expressway!

Status
Not open for further replies.