• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

themanger

GPS white thrashed the country boys, absolute drubbing. Average rugby played so not much to report, conditions didn't help much either.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
GPS white thrashed the country boys, absolute drubbing. Average rugby played so not much to report, conditions didn't help much either.

It was actually a good game given the conditions....GPS white was just too strong but the country lads contested well and had several big boppers in the pack to keep white on their toes.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
It was actually a good game given the conditions..GPS white was just too strong but the country lads contested well and had several big boppers in the pack to keep white on their toes.

Agree Azzuri. It was raining solidly at kick off and it got heavier as the game proceeded. Both sides made less handling errors than might have been expected (and white made far less errors than they or Blue did on Tuesday) and played sensible wet weather rugby. White put on three tries in the first 15 minutes which was followed by some reasonably sustained pressure on either side of half time by country which resulted in two tries to Country to bring it to 21 - 12. White then scored twice to put the game beyond reach. (Sorry if I got the try scoring sequence wrong but it should give you the drift of the game).

One lovely team try by White for their first try - a few good runs by the forwards to get the ball into the 22, quick recycling then the backs exploited an overlap on the left narrow side with quick short draw and pass through four sets of hands to put the winger in. No selector focussed heroics just good team footy.

Thought Country did well considering they had only one practice run beforehand and no game time. Same story for Sydney who also competed hard in the earlier game where the score was 12 all before Blue got on top in the second half.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Well azurite you must have been at a different game to me, 17-12 is hardly a convincing win.

Score lines, like statistics are only one part of the story. Yes it was 17-12 but Blue just looked slicker. A dry track would have given both teams a better showing but Blue simply executed better.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Half time. ISA 2 up 26-10. Tries ISA 9, 11, 8 and 5. AICES 23.

AICES started behind the 8-ball with a couple of key players unavailable. They haven't had much ball and haven't been able to hold onto it when they have. They have defended well for the most part and have been able to disrupt ISA's ball.

ISA2 are much better moving the ball and passing in support. They are even managing to get the ball wide despite the conditions. Like last week, their 8 running inside from 10 and 12 is damaging. 9 has been great as well.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Full time. ISA2 47 d AICES 20.

I never caught the last try for ISA. First was scored in the corner by 10 and another from a change down by 16.

AICES scored twice through 14 in the corner. He is one fast dude.

It's hard to stand out in these conditions but ISA 8 was in everything and 10 put everything together for them.

AICES had little ball, but in attack, 14 is fantastic and 9 in space was great. A mention to all of their forwards who kept trucking it up right despite a fair bit of adversity. I thought 18 was great with the ball in hand too.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Score lines, like statistics are only one part of the story. Yes it was 17-12 but Blue just looked slicker. A dry track would have given both teams a better showing but Blue simply executed better.

I was there supporting Sydney and i would agree the Blue backs looked at little slicker, but i thought Sydney were the stronger side in the forwards. The first Blue try was scored from a dropped ball from a long down field kick, with the Blue player picking up the scraps, the second blue try came from a very poor piece of defense from the Sydney winger and the third blue try was a very well executed backs play, so without the 2 errors the score line could have been completely different but that's rugby and I'm not taking anything away from the Blue boys they deserved their win, having said that if Sydney had of got up i would have said the same thing. I thought both Sydney tries were well constructed especially the second with some very good forward pick and go close to the line.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Any progress scores from the GPS II V CHS II?....people must be too busy gnawing on their nails to bang away on their Iphones...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
at what time does the "gold squads, selection politics, bias" thread assume responsibility for musings on the topic of this thread?
And is Huge planning to deal with avalanche of complaints singlehandedly?
Based on the scorelines in the 4 GPS games I think I may be imagining a problem that doesn't exist.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
at what time does the "gold squads, selection politics, bias" thread assume responsibility for musings on the topic of this thread?
And is Huge planning to deal with avalanche of complaints singlehandedly?
Based on the scorelines in the 4 GPS games I think I may be imagining a problem that doesn't exist.

The scores will negate some of the complaints, but I'd still fasten my seat belts for a wild ride when the teams are announced.;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ground announcer said that the selected players will be rung tonight.

Names will be in the papers tomorrow. The Shadow squad was mentioned, and not sure if they said it would be in the papers but IIRC they have done so in the past.

Medicals assessments/reviews will be conducted at Waratah HQ in Moore Park on Sunday 9am.

Score summary from today:
ISA II 47 def AICES 20 - 7T 6C to 3T 1C 1PG

CCC 22 def CAS II 12 - 3T 2C 1PG to 2T 1C (H/T CAS 5-0)

ISA I 43 def CAS I 10 - 7T 4C to 2T (H/T ISA 19-5)

AAGPS II 52 def CHS II 19 - 8T 6C to 3T 2C (H/T AAGPS 24-5)

AAGPS I 38 def CHS I 8 - 6T 4C to 1T 1PG (H/T AAGPS 26-8)

Overall observations:

The slop was not as bad as last year, and the surface held up well but the pill was difficult to handle at times.

CAS were disappointing and looked like they met for the first time in the car park before the game.

CHS were disappointing compared to last year.

AAGPS I could have won by 70 points except they gave away far too many penalties at the breakdowns, and received two yellow cards (Smith and Taukamo) late in the game.

Across the board the standard of both individual and team skills were at a lower standard than last year except for ISA who were probably a better team than last year, and AAGPS who were at a similar standard to last year although their 1st XV did not adjust their play to the referees rulings where they were getting caned, and AICES who did well to get within 30 points of ISA IIs'.

Why was Patrick Pellegrini starting at 15 for CCC?

I'm expecting to see the NSW teams full of ISA and AAGPS folk, with only token appearances from the other associations.

Goddard is all class, but those calling for him to be a possible Aust Schoolboys Captain (in response to a QLD query as to who should be the Captain for 2015) should note that Jack Nettleton was the ISA Captain today, and not too bad a player as well. Nettleton was about the only reliable lineout thrower in rather difficult conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.