• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

International Badboy

I would say Deegan would be ahead although Trinity and St Pats both have very good 5/8's who are in with a chance. And though i havnt seen many of the other 16's halfbacks i would say young Curtain from Joeys would be a clear favourite for that spot.

okay half backs yes i would say Curtin from Joeys or News Halfback Lussick ( dont know correct spelling)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
thoughts on NSW 16s Flyhalf, i believe the gps battle at the moment is between young Deegan and Jones (Kings 16A) before anyone says Deegan is better due to the fact he is in Joeys 1s remember Kings have a 16s policy, any thoughts plus other names to watch

I watched the View v Kings U16A game on Saturday with a King's U16 parent and Jones was brilliant but he played 15 not 10. Great runner of the ball and an excellent defender. Will be a surprise if he is not GPS and NSW Schools U16 fullback. He apparently played 10 last year but shifted to 15 when Corey Tulloch came to Kings (last years U15 Country no 10). My Kings mate tells me that Kings U16 are unbeaten in the trials and have knocked off New, Joeys and View thus far and have Shore on the weekend. They expect Scots to be their main challengers in 2011. Tulloch apparently has been a revelation at 10 linking sublimely with their halfback Rory Davis and centre Sam Carter (both NSW U15 in 2010). King's have high hopes of major representation in U16 GPS & NSW Schools this year via Bateman (1), Matson (4) Macalman (7), Davis (9), Tulloch (10), Carter (12) and Jones (15). That said NSW U16 schools will probably come down to Tulloch or the very classy Jamo Clarke (Trinity)

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Here is my list of U16s that should be there or there about for the schools side... Most of this is based on watching club, so if I've missed kids out that don't play club, forgive me...

1. Malaki Afele - Trinity - CAS - Parramatta
2. George Donnelly - Pittwater House - AICES - Norths
3. Troy Smith - St Paul's Manly - CCC - Warringah
4. Tom Cutler - Riverview - GPS - Gordon
5. Harrison Williams - Alos - CAS - Norths
6. Tom Welch - Riverview - GPS - Gordon
7. David Morris - Newington - GPS - Norths
8. Max Cook - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
9. Brent Whicker - Trinity - CAS - Parramatta
10. Joey Lussick - Newington - GPS - Warringah
11. Charlie Taylor - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
12. Robert Wolfgramm - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
13. Andrew Kellaway - Scots - GPS - Gordon
14. Michael Docker - Knox - CAS - Gordon
15. Tepai Moerea - Newington - GPS - Parramatta

I

International Badboy

King's have high hopes of major representation in U16 GPS & NSW Schools this year via Bateman (1), Matson (4) Macalman (7), Davis (9), Tulloch (10), Carter (12) and Jones (15).

With a lot of new enrolments is it right to assume to the Kings B side is looking pretty good at the moment?

I

International Badboy

also malcsy you don't seem to have any of the Kings boys in that 16s team, or Jamo clarke last years flyhalf?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here is my list of U16s that should be there or there about for the schools side... Most of this is based on watching club, so if I've missed kids out that don't play club, forgive me...

1. Malaki Afele - Trinity - CAS - Parramatta
2. George Donnelly - Pittwater House - AICES - Norths
3. Troy Smith - St Paul's Manly - CCC - Warringah
4. Tom Cutler - Riverview - GPS - Gordon
5. Harrison Williams - Alos - CAS - Norths
6. Tom Welch - Riverview - GPS - Gordon
7. David Morris - Newington - GPS - Norths
8. Max Cook - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
9. Brent Whicker - Trinity - CAS - Parramatta
10. Joey Lussick - Newington - GPS - Warringah
11. Charlie Taylor - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
12. Robert Wolfgramm - St Augustine's - ISA - Norths
13. Andrew Kellaway - Scots - GPS - Gordon
14. Michael Docker - Knox - CAS - Gordon
15. Tepai Moerea - Newington - GPS - Parramatta

Some very astute choices there Malcsy although the north of the harbour influence is very noticeable. My info is that Afele has a long term injury (knee or shoulder?) and Moerea has also been out with a broken finger. Lucas Bateman (Kings -GPS-Eastwood) got the 1 jumper ahead of Afele in the ARU Sydney U16 Merit team and either he or Jarrod Matairavula (Chifley -CHS?-Parramatta) would be good replacements for him. If Moerea's out Harry Jones (Newport-Kings-Warringah) has been in great form at 15 this season.
I'm surprised that you've got Lussick ahead of Jamo Clarke (Trinity-CAS-Parramatta)

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Some very astute choices there Malcsy although the north of the harbour influence is very noticeable. My info is that Afele has a long term injury (knee or shoulder?) and Moerea has also been out with a broken finger. Lucas Bateman (Kings -GPS-Eastwood) got the 1 jumper ahead of Afele in the ARU Sydney U16 Merit team and either he or Jarrod Matairavula (Chifley -CHS?-Parramatta) would be good replacements for him. If Moerea's out Harry Jones (Newport-Kings-Warringah) has been in great form at 15 this season.
I'm surprised that you've got Lussick ahead of Jamo Clarke (Trinity-CAS-Parramatta)

Yes, it is a bit North side biased, however that's probably a reflection on the games I have been able to get to ! Jarrod is missing because I believe he is now at TAFE so maybe wouldn't qualify for schools ? Otherwise he would probably be my 3. Malaki is not long term as far as I have been told and Tepai is back also. The 10 position is very hotly contested and Jamo is just as deserving, amongst others as mentioned earlier in this thread, however Joey is playing 1st XV at Newington (although at half back) which presumably means he has a slight advantage.

Alot of talent around in this age group, including a bundle out West who I haven't seen enough of, and the selectors (Schools and SJRU) will have a challenge to sort through it.

I

International Badboy

The 10 position is very hotly contested and Jamo is just as deserving, amongst others as mentioned earlier in this thread, however Joey is playing 1st XV at Newington (although at half back) which presumably means he has a slight advantage.

Wouldn't that mean Deegan has the biggest advantage playing Joeys 1s and in correct position?

B

baldingwingforward

Cameron Mee will have to be up there. 2nd Row in Cranbrook 1st NTS since under 14's around 6'4.

Thats a good effort given that the first time the NTS look at players and start considering their intake is at U15s... He must have improved a lot since i last saw him play! Is he in the 1st XV?

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
i dont want to bring up the issue of imports in any way but do boys that attend a GPS school but are from another country for example Tonga, still qualify for NSW Schools?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
i dont want to bring up the issue of imports in any way but do boys that attend a GPS school but are from another country for example Tonga, still qualify for NSW Schools?

Any player who attends a school affiliated with the NSWSRU is eligible to represent NSW Schools...that is a GPS, CAS, CHS, ISA, CCC, ACIES or NSWCSRU school.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any GPS or CAS U16A results from today's games? (particularly Shore v Kings, New v Scots and Knox v Trinity?)

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Nsw #10

On the issue of #10 - curiously 2010 U15 NSWJRU #10 - J Clarke has been loitering on the wing for Trinity 1sts in CAS; but so I am told, playing strongly for Balmain in some junior mungo rep team at their version of #10.

Incidentally, if you want to get a handle on the incompetences and turf wars that is junior rugby in NSW, have a read of the the Garling Report and the response to it by NSWRU – a joke (the response) that will perpetuate the confusion of how the game needs to be administered through the ages 12 – 18.

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/Competitions/Juniors.aspx

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
Afele ran on for 1st IV today, has a niggling shoulder injury but on the mend by the looks of it. J Clark played fullback for 1st IV but I think from what I have heard is that he is normally a 5/8. Kicked goals from all around the field today.

Status
Not open for further replies.