• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
22 all. It was a very good game with Sydney taking the early lead and Country finishing too strong.

& the stand out performers were?

& the NSWJRU U16 team will likely look like (ignore boys not on show today but who would be otherwise eligible)?

who won the key positional battles?

NEWBIE - where's your detailed match analysis - LMAO.

Cheers MOTH

R

Rugby Mad

So the boys form the bush have done it again. Just one more try at regionals and they would have come first there, and if just one of the missed conversions had of gone over they would have won today, but 22-22 is a true indication of the game, an exciting game played in great spirits that neither team deserved to lose!
Yet out of the game today with only 7 out of 24 players selected, less than 1/3 of the boys in the NSWJRU U/16 squad comes from the country team!
There are a a few boys from the country team that should be disappointed, to name a couple, the No. 2 (McNamara?) out muscled and outplayed his opposite all day and the No. 4 from country (Boyce?) was involved in everything, he was without a doubt the best Lock on the field today(in my opinion).
Other stand out performances for me were the 8(Afele), 11(Winterstein?) & 15(Jones) from City and 6(Hefren), 10(Andrews) and 14(Brown) from Country. Best on field would have been a toss up between Jones and Boyce.

While I don't pretend to be a selector and hats off to them they have a tough job to do, today i think, (and this is only MY opinion) they got it wrong.

R

Rugby Mad

The team was announced 30 mins after the game was completed, I couldn't tell you who was selected as I was only counting the numbers from each team as they were announced.

Bill McLean (32)
Couldn't Make it!

... ... & NEWBIE - where's your detailed match analysis - LMAO.

Cheers MOTH

MOTH,

As much as I wanted to attend today I had an U/16 league game which took priority (glad I did though). Nonetheless I am glad the 'Boys from the Bush' did well. Didn't I tell ya'll ... lmao!!!

Wondering how Tulloch and Kagiassis went?

From what I am seeing here NSWJRU have selected a team! Quite surprised to be honest! I thought such a team would have been named after the 11th of September match between Schools v. SJRU. However I suppose there is time schedule that NSWJRU and QJRU have to adhere to with respect to domestic test matches and the like!

Regards,

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
MOTH,

As much as I wanted to attend today I had an U/16 league game which took priority (glad I did though). Nonetheless I am glad the 'Boys from the Bush' did well. Didn't I tell ya'll ... lmao!!!

From what I am seeing here NSWJRU have selected a team! Quite surprised to be honest! I thought such a team would have been named after the 11th of September match between Schools v. SJRU. However I suppose there is time schedule that NSWJRU and QJRU have to adhere to with respect to domestic test matches and the like!

Regards,

BUGGER - but what game do NSWJRU U16 team play - surely not Vs QLD or ACT when 15s & 17s play? What NSW based teams will contest the nationals?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
My mail is that Tulloch missed out. Playing him at 15 instead of 10 or 12 did not assist him. Still can't believe he didn't get picked in NSW School's team on the performances I saw at the NSW Schools Championships.

Jones scoring 3 tries for Sydney today didn't help his cause. Ironic really as on my info both of them were the main catalysts for Kings 16As towelling up Riverview 31-0 yesterday.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
A couple of points:

1. As it's a NSW Juniors U16s team I can accept the fact that only club registered players should be eligible.

2. Boys who are club registered but were chosen in the Schools team should not however be disenfranchised from playing in the NSW Juniors team. As I understand it the boys have no choice as to which team (SJRU, NSWSRU or NSWCJRU)they are selected in.

3. As we all know Sydney Juniors and Country Juniors "horse trade" over selections with NSW Schools once the U16 rep carnivals have concluded and it is ultimately their decisionmaking that determines the boys' pathway.

4. Can you imagine NSW Juniors leaving club registered players Andrew Kellaway, Rory Davis, Tepai Moeroa and Jarrod Matairavula (to name but a few) out of the NSW Juniors U16 team just because they were chosen in the NSW Schools team??? I don't think so!!

Without trying to appear smug my mail is that Kellaway, Moeroa and Matairavula also made the NSW U16 squad announced this afternoon despite not playing in today's the Sydney V Country fixture.

Bill McLean (32)
BUGGER - but what game do NSWJRU U16 team play - surely not Vs QLD or ACT when 15s & 17s play? What NSW based teams will contest the nationals?

Surely it would have to be against QLD. "WHERE" is the $10 million question! From my understanding the format for the domestic test matches has already been decided (i.e. curtain raisers). I'll go have a look at the QLD site and see what they have to offer in terms of info. They seem somewhat more proactive than their NSW counterpart in providing up-to-date information.

Regards,
Newbie.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely it would have to be against QLD. "WHERE" is the $10 million question! From my understanding the format for the domestic test matches has already been decided (i.e. curtain raisers). I'll go have a look at the QLD site and see what they have to offer in terms of info. They seem somewhat more proactive than their NSW counterpart in providing up-to-date information.

Regards,
Newbie.

My further mail is that the NSW U16 team announced this afternoon will be playing ACT in the next couple of weeks and will play QLD the weekend after the U16 Nationals in September.

R

Rugby Mad

I cant tell you which boys were included in the selection criteria but I know there were 5 boys that did not play today as they in the NSW schools team but were eligible to be selected in the NSW Juniors and the squad was expanded from 22 to 24 to make room for these boys.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I cant tell you which boys were included in the selection criteria but I know there were 5 boys that did not play today as they in the NSW schools team but were eligible to be selected in the NSW Juniors and the squad was expanded from 22 to 24 to make room for these boys.

They were eligible to be selected as they all played in the NSW U16 State Championships.

Bill McLean (32)
My further mail is that the NSW U16 team announced this afternoon will be playing ACT in the next couple of weeks and will play QLD the weekend after the U16 Nationals in September.

Gentlemen,

I sorry but if CTPE is on the money with respect to a game between NSWJRU and QLD after the National Championship then why not wait until after the said event is concluded to name the NSWJRU team? Let the team be selected by those within the ARU (i.e. Sutherland and Whitaker).

The duplicity of representative sides does nothing more than to create confusion and angst among all stakeholders, especially the lads. Surely someone upon high has to take the bull by the horns and try and reconcile all of the current teams within NSW (i.e. CJRU, SJRU, NSW Schools, and NSWJRU).

2011 has become farcical IMO! Too many cooks in the kitchen for my liking!

Regards,

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gentlemen,

I sorry but if CTPE is on the money with respect to a game between NSWJRU and QLD after the National Championship then why not wait until after the said event is concluded to name the NSWJRU team? Let the team be selected by those within the ARU (i.e. Sutherland and Whitaker).

The duplicity of representative sides does nothing more than to create confusion and angst among all stakeholders, especially the lads. Surely someone upon high has to take the bull by the horns and try and reconcile all of the current teams within NSW (i.e. CJRU, SJRU, NSW Schools, and NSWJRU).

2011 has become farcical IMO! Too many cooks in the kitchen for my liking!

Regards,

Those selected today are certainly going to be doing their training!!! - for their junior club if in the finals + for their school if playing there + for their Sydney, Country or NSW Schools team for the U16 Nationals + for the NSW U16 team - won't be able to say they won't be fit for their clash with Qld in early October - may be injured however!!!

Bill McLean (32)
CTPE was on the money!

CTPE,

Correct again Sir!

1st of October 2011; QLD v. NSW in U/15's U/16's and U/17's. All matches to be held in Sydney witha venue yet to be decided.

This info came straight from the BJRU site 'Calendar'!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
Those selected today are certainly going to be doing their training!!! - for their junior club if in the finals + for their school if playing there + for their Sydney, Country or NSW Schools team for the U16 Nationals + for the NSW U16 team - won't be able to say they won't be fit for their clash with Qld in early October - may be injured however!!!

Gentlemen,

I know most will disagree with me here purely on ideological grounds, however please look beyond the same for the sake of pragmatism!

As CTPE rightly states some lads are soon not going to know if they are ‘Arthur’ or ‘Martha’ given their respective (and often conflicting) playing and training schedules. Such an eventuation borders on the ridiculous and should never occur.

Junior league in NSW does not run into this trouble as both ‘Clubs’ and ‘Schools’ co-ordinate their respective representative seasons through NSWRL (the peak body for League in NSW). Suffice to say it works well. Each body ultimately selects their own representative teams with village ‘Clubs’ going through their respective NRL sides (i.e. Harold Matts and SG Ball) and then onto NSW representation through selection into the NSWRL U/16 or U/18 teams. Schools on the other hand have three teams; NSWCCC, NSWCHS and NSWCIS at U/15’s and U/18’s.

The point I am trying to highlight is that ‘NO CONFLICT’ exists between the two representative seasons! Each is at different times of the year. Essentially the NSWRL manage and oversee the delivery of the two competitions, with the NSW Schools associations being able to maintain their autonomy with respect to the selection of their teams without NSWRL interference!

Each of the league rep seasons is also finished well before the ‘Club’ season draws to a conclusion. As I see it the rugby rep season is going to play havoc with NSW club finals over the coming weeks! Where does a player’s loyalty lie during the business end of the season? For mine it is with the club, and no lad should ever be put in a position to decide one over the other! IMO such is a travesty and should never occur!

Another blow to grass roots rugby!

Regards,

Bill McLean (32)
My mail is that Tulloch missed out. Playing him at 15 instead of 10 or 12 did not assist him. Still can't believe he didn't get picked in NSW School's team on the performances I saw at the NSW Schools Championships.

Jones scoring 3 tries for Sydney today didn't help his cause. Ironic really as on my info both of them were the main catalysts for Kings 16As towelling up Riverview 31-0 yesterday.

CTPE,

IMO this is two years in a row that Tulloch has been "@*&^%$ over" by various entities.

Everyone is this site knows that F/B is a specailst position, and notwithstanding Tulloch's talent, it is a position that takes time to adjust to, moreso in a CJRU team that didnt get to train or play together for considerable amount of time with Tulloch in the said role!

You asked me a question several days ago about the abovementioned lad's future (i.e. League or Union). If union continues to treat him in this fashion I believe he will become dismayed and look for greener pasture elsewhere. According to some in this site it almost happened to Trent Winterstein.

Perhaps the lad should forsake club football altogether and concentrate on the Schools path. I am almost 100% sure that he was the first pick of CJRU after Regional, and would have been picked up by Schools had he been available! I know this encourages selfishness but ultimately he has paid his dues and should be now looking after number one! If I were his manager this is what I would be advising him to do!

Regards,

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

CTPE,

IMO this is two years in a row that Tulloch has been "@*&^%$ over" by various entities.

Everyone is this site knows that F/B is a specailst position, and notwithstanding Tulloch's talent, it is a position that takes time to adjust to, moreso in a CJRU team that didnt get to train or play together for considerable amount of time with Tulloch in the said role!

You asked me a question several days ago about the abovementioned lad's future (i.e. League or Union). If union continues to treat him in this fashion I believe he will become dismayed and look for greener pasture elsewhere. According to some in this site it almost happened to Trent Winterstein.

Perhaps the lad should forsake club football altogether and concentrate on the Schools path. I am almost 100% sure that he was the first pick of CJRU after Regional, and would have been picked up by Schools had he been available! I know this encourages selfishness but ultimately he has paid his dues and should be now looking after number one! If I were his manager this is what I would be advising him to do!

Regards,

Tulloch is on the ARU's radar big time - he's got far too much talent not to be. I agree with you that going forward the Schools path may be the best way for him - perhaps being available for Country despite going to school in Sydney didn't help him this year. First step for him next year will be to make the GPS rep sides. That said he may well get a further opportunity this year if there are injuries to selected players over the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.