• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I still don't quite understand the NZ rivalry. From the outside it looks (at Super Rugby level) that the Crusaders and Hurricanes don't get along all that well.

Which would be the greatest rivalry locally for you guys and why?

Personally if I had to support a Kiwi team it would be the Highlanders. I don't know why. Just always liked them. Perhaps because they are mostly underdogs with the potential to really screw around with the log when you least expect it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I still don't quite understand the NZ rivalry. From the outside it looks (at Super Rugby level) that the Crusaders and Hurricanes don't get along all that well.

Which would be the greatest rivalry locally for you guys and why?

Personally if I had to support a Kiwi team it would be the Highlanders. I don't know why. Just always liked them. Perhaps because they are mostly underdogs with the potential to really screw around with the log when you least expect it.

Don't really think the rivalry is as intense in Super rugby Ullrich, but Wellington and Canterbury have always had a bit of a thing going back to the 70s and 80s got built up a bit when Robbie Deans was injured for a test match, and Alan Hewson got his spot, and never gave it back,(mind you could of started when Fergie McComack took Mick Williments spot at 15 in ABs too) used to be pretty heated for Wellington or even Wellington players in ABs if they were down Christchurch way. Always thought Blues/Crusaders games were pretty het up too in early super days, in those days everyone dislikes Auckland as they won everything, and probably when players like Carlos Spencer was playing he could always be good to add a bit of fuel to the fire, one case was he scored a try that had more or less gone length of field, he went in either under or close to the posts and ran over to the corner to dot down, just so he was close to give some of the crowd a bit of stick, seem to recall he converted it from sideline too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Oh me oh my, Scores level at the half in the Cantabs/Stags game. Quality so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Carlos Spencer was playing he could always be good to add a bit of fuel to the fire, one case was he scored a try that had more or less gone length of field, he went in either under or close to the posts and ran over to the corner to dot down, just so he was close to give some of the crowd a bit of stick, seem to recall he converted it from sideline too.

This is the try:

And yes, he nailed the conversion.

Oh me oh my, Scores level at the half in the Cantabs/Stags game. Quality so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cream rising to the top now, though, esp with Tongia gone for 10 (shoulda been Red, can't believe the TMO didn't jump in there).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez that was a bloody impressive second half, well by Canterbury, and bloody Southland still having a crack right to end!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlights from the late game:

Ala'alatoa & Black being subbed off were the turning points for mine, after that the scrum started going backwards at a rate of knots & they looked rudderless on attack.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another decisive result for the mighty nua, 13-10 v Thames Valley. Three in a row! Can't recall the last time that happened. Big night at the Cassie, methinks :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heartland Results, Week 3

Buller 33 (Anthony Ellis, James Lash, Iliesa Ravudra; Lash 3 con, 3 pen, dropped goal) North Otago 31 (Ralph Darling, Josh Buckham, Junior Fakatoufifita, Antini Brown tries; Buckham 4 con, pen). HT:

East Coast 19 (Pera Bishop, Sailosi Vatubua, Kareti Palmer tries; Kris Palmer 2 con) West Coast 32 (Lawrence Babe, Nik Cumming 2, Steven Soper, Tom Reekie tries; Reekie 2 con, dropped goal). HT: 7-15

Horowhenua Kapiti 13 (Kalim Kelemete try; James So'oialo con, 2 pen) Thames Valley 10 (George Lelenoa try; Chris Doak con, pen). HT: 10-7

King Country 32 (Alex Thrupp, Dean Church 2, Penalty try tries; Reece MacDonald 2 con, 2 pen) Wairarapa Bush 25 (Sam Monaghan 2, Epeli Rayaqayaqa tries; Tim Priest 2 con, 2 pen). HT:

Mid Canterbury 16 (Maleli Sau, Eric Duff tries; Jarred Percival 2 pen) South Canterbury 31 (Brad Hemopo 2, Nick Strachan, Kalavini Leatigaga, Vatiliai Tora tries; Willie Wright 3 con). HT: 0-14

Wanganui 25 (Craig Clare, Gabriel Hakaraia, Jona Sawailau tries; Clare 2 con, 2 pen) Poverty Bay 14 (Andrew Tauatevalu, Jake Holmes tries; Tauatevalu con; Isaia Vuki con). HT: 8-7

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As this is basically the general NZ rugby thread, I'll just drop this here.

DJaIA0vVAAAD9lG.jpg:large

It's all five of the of the world rugby cups (men's & women's XVs, men's & women's 7s, U20s), all of which are currently residing in Wellington.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^What I'm finding hard to comprehend is that there's only ONE Athletic player in the squad, most of them are from the Kapiti end of HK! Unheard of!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Disgusting WOB,I not even going to mention the fact that Kapiti end of HK have been winning the club comp for the last few years, as that was obviously rigged against the mighty Athletic boys!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The boy looks to have a future too WOB, particularly impressed last night in him having the skill to change the ball to other hand in the act of diving to score. Have been generally impressed with not only his running but generally him being a young fella knowing how to carry ball etc, his defence looks ok too.

Geex the Lambs are certainly on a roll this year aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.