• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ lol, I thought you'd be pleased.......

Tasman a man short for ~2/3 of the match & spent 10 min with just 13 but weren't exactly humiliated:

Shield challenge tomorrow, Mooloos trying to take it off Canterbury for the first time ever. Ain't gonna happen!

Mighty 'nua head over to Masterton to take on Wairarapa Bush* & can really lock themselves into a Meads Cup SF spot with a win. Highlight vids from Mainfreight Rugby (formerly Toyota Grassroots Rugby) now on this YouTube channel:

https://m.youtube.com/user/WFRTV

About two weeks old by the time they're posted but some really good stuff on show both on & off the field.

*EDIT: match is actually in Wellington, giving the local XV & Otago a HUUUUUGE act to follow :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Harbour given a huge scare by unfancied Hawkes Bay:

We've been down this road before but maybe this is the year Ihaia West adds game management to his undoubted talent? If so the Bloos are getting a good buy.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Harbour given a huge scare by unfancied Hawkes Bay:

We've been down this road before but maybe this is the year Ihaia West adds game management to his undoubted talent? If so the Bloos are getting a good buy.

West has gone to the Canes hasn't he WOB? Funny thing is I think he will go a lot better there, I have always thought he was the type of player that suits Canes style, and if he is getting better at game managment, I suspect the Blues might regret letting him go.
Have to say I enjoyed that Harbour/Bay game, and think Gatland starting to look like he might be starting 10 at Blues next year, he playing bloody well,, so black has probably ended up going up there to warm the bench again.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, now I think about it some more I do recall West & Otere Black effectively swapping franchises. Agree on Garland & he's a tough little bugger, too, not afraid of taking contact & defends in the line like a proper 5/8 should.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
West has always looked good at NPC level. He just couldn't consistently perform at Super Rugby level except for that late season stint in 2016 when he had Francis running the backline from second five.

As it stands I'm more than happy to swap West for Black.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
West has always looked good at NPC level. He just couldn't consistently perform at Super Rugby level except for that late season stint in 2016 when he had Francis running the backline from second five.

As it stands I'm more than happy to swap West for Black.
Yep I can see that zer0, but I suspect you are ending up with like for like. I somehow think Black will end up overseas in a few years, because he is probably going to end up No 3 first five for the Blues anyway. Hope not as I like the kid, but not sure where he will find a starting gig for a NZ super team.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
We appear to have quite different opinions on Black. If anyone is going to be in an awkward position it could be Gatland. As the most experienced of the three (55 NPC/Super Rugby caps vs Gatland and Perofeta's 35, combined), Black will be given the first run at first five, while Perofeta is earmarked as the future, long term, starter. Gatland, on the other hand, is on a one year contract, so may have limited opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to the Chiefs in 2019, as I'm not sure that Mckenzie will work out well at first five.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heartland Results:

East Coast 17 (Scorers not provided) Buller 54 (Andrew Stephens 2, Michael Lealava'a 2, Iliesa Ravudra 2, James Lash, Kahu Parata; Lash 7 con). HT: 7-35

North Otago 34 (Petelo Pouhila, Matthew Vocea, Aaron Martin, Junior Fakatoufifita tries; Josh Buckham 4 con, pen; Lemi Masoe pen) Poverty Bay 12 (Everard Reid, Ethine Reeves tries; Andrew Tauatevalu con). HT: 24-0

West Coast 38 (Peter Te Rakau, Josh Manning, Daniel Davis, Regan Stanton, Logan Heath tries; Nic Cumming 5 con, pen) South Canterbury 45 (Kalavini Leatigaga 2, Willie Wright 3, Vatiliai Tora tries; Wright 6 con, pen). HT: 21-24

Thames Valley 16 (Alex Bradley try; Chris Doak con, 3 pen) Mid Canterbury 25 (Jarred Percival, Willie McGoon, Christian Vainerere tries; Percival 2 con, 2 pen) HT: 15-9

Wanganui 80 (Cameron Crowley 2, Angus Middleton, Lindsay Horrocks, Cole Baldwin, Timoci Seruwalu 2, Cody Hemi 2, Jona Sawailau 2, Jamie Hughes, Nick Harding tries; Craig Clare 4 con, pen; Harding 2 con) King Country 3 (Kieron Rollinson pen). HT:

Wairarapa Bush v Horowhenua Kapiti being played Sunday

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We appear to have quite different opinions on Black. If anyone is going to be in an awkward position it could be Gatland. As the most experienced of the three (55 NPC/Super Rugby caps vs Gatland and Perofeta's 35, combined), Black will be given the first run at first five, while Perofeta is earmarked as the future, long term, starter. Gatland, on the other hand, is on a one year contract, so may have limited opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to the Chiefs in 2019, as I'm not sure that Mckenzie will work out well at first five.

Yep forgot about Chiefs zer0, and I in no way putting Black down, just think he a good competent 10 , as I do Gatland, though I think Gatlands defence will make him a bit more popular in the next year or two, though he would probably prefer to be with Chiefs (home and all), so maybe you have got it right.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well the outgoing Auckland coach would probably be finding it difficult to smile after that win - OK the BOP weren't great but that was a fairly good performance by Auckland, the best I've seen them play this year.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
>Easily Auckland's best performance of the season
>Graham Henry involved this week as 'technical assistant'

Someone convince him to take over the reigns again, pls.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep good to see Auckland play to their potential. The loosies were all exceptional and the backline looked much better with a proper midfield of Faiane at 12, Aso at 13 and Nanai at fullback

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The procession continues:

Horowhenua Kapiti 38: Nathan Kendrick 2, Tyson Maki 2, Willia Paia'aua tries; James So'oialo 3 pen, 2 con

Wairarapa Bush 12: Chris Raymond, Cyrus Baker tries; Tim Priest con

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aussie JG-B gets Wellington home:

EDIT: CM also keeping themselves in the SF mix:

Auckland media still talking up the Aucks for a Premiership SF but they're four points back & have played an extra game Than Tasman so I have my doubts. Wellington now uncatchable at the top of the Championship but the other three spots still very much up for grabs:

http://www.mitre10cup.co.nz/Fixtures/Standings

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well after watching the Tasman/NH game won by NH 21-14 have come to the conclusion that Ethan Blackadder is fast becoming my fav ITM cup player, workrate out of this world and must surely get a Super contract with someone! And I cannot see Mitch Hunt staying at Crusaders for too long being back up to Mounga, he is another seriously good 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.