• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nz domestic rugby 2020

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
RugbyPass has named 5 standout performances from the weekend

• Will Jordan - try assist, eight defenders beaten, three clean breaks and two offloads
  • Quinn Tupaea - 50 metres run, 7 defenders beaten, 2 clean breaks, 2 turnovers, 10/12 tackles made
  • Hoskins Sotutu - 1 try, 1 try assist, 13/13 tackles made, 1 lineout steal
  • Akira Ioane - 12/12 tackles made, 3 turnovers won (the most of any player in the round)
  • Patrick Tuipulotu - 34 metres run (most of any forward), 4 defenders beaten, one clean break, 4 lineout wins, 14/15 tackles made
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/five-of-the-standout-stars-from-round-two-of-super-rugby-aotearoa/

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Only a matter of time til the Hurld has him Nocking on the AB Selectors' door :).

He so far from being an All Black I doubt whether he can even see the colour black!! He only behind Nugget, TJ, Weber (who had a shit game behind a well beaten pack on weekend),Hall, and Drummond, so if Covid 19 strkes the rugby community and hits the 9s pretty badly he may get called into the squad;). Mind you the Herald may have him as a starting AB by next week! Whoops and Jamie Booth probably in front of him too:)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RugbyPass has named 5 standout performances from the weekend

• Will Jordan - try assist, eight defenders beaten, three clean breaks and two offloads
  • Quinn Tupaea - 50 metres run, 7 defenders beaten, 2 clean breaks, 2 turnovers, 10/12 tackles made
  • Hoskins Sotutu - 1 try, 1 try assist, 13/13 tackles made, 1 lineout steal
  • Akira Ioane - 12/12 tackles made, 3 turnovers won (the most of any player in the round)
  • Patrick Tuipulotu - 34 metres run (most of any forward), 4 defenders beaten, one clean break, 4 lineout wins, 14/15 tackles made
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/five-of-the-standout-stars-from-round-two-of-super-rugby-aotearoa/
Couldn't argue with that Kiwi, and Akira deserves more credit than I originally gave him, I thought he was ok, but obviously did better than that. I have liked young Tapea's game both last 2 weeks. And PT has 14 out of 15 tackles made and wouldnt mind betting most of his were the most dominant and drove players back from where he made contact.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nock looking good behind big grunty forward pack. Weber not lookign flash behind forward pack in retreat. For 9's, same as its ever been.
  • Quinn Tupaea
    thats weird, my impression, due to 3 klutzy fuckup moments, including racing out of D line to miss Sotutu's try assist pass, was he was really not ready for this level
  • Patrick Tuipulotu - 34 metres run (most of any forward)
these seppo-style stats getting shoehorned into rugby just dont work. "34 meters." Really? What does that even mean. No context for it. He couldve fielded a downfield kick and jogged it back up to contact for 33 of them. Whoop de fucken doo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
~Canes back to being rubbish. The week off will do them good.

Aside from TJ, Coles and Ardie there's no one that looks better than a replacement level NZ rugby player.

And yet they ran the Saders close for, what, 70 - 75 minutes of the game? Admittedly on the back of penalty goals, but the score is what it is.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
these seppo-style stats getting shoehorned into rugby just dont work. "34 meters." Really? What does that even mean. No context for it. He couldve fielded a downfield kick and jogged it back up to contact for 33 of them. Whoop de fucken doo.
Yep Stats only show part of a picture, though in PT's case they pretty spot on in how valuable he's become, apart from telling what kind of matres players have run, the other one comes in tackles, he made 14/15 tackles, same as Akira made 12/12 or whatever, what we need is how many tackles were made behind the gainline, or drove the player back behind the point of contact, another strength of PT's, and why players like Jerome Kaino etc were so important!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurld reporting that 19K tix sold for Loss Bleus v Clan at Eden Park on Saturday night. Bryn Hall on The Breakdown last night said something about tix for CruSadists v Tribe at Not Lancaster Park on Sunday arvo being $20 adults & $10 kids but no one elaborated: I'm assuming that's for "cheap seats" areas & premium tix will still cost full whack.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Blues have lost hard-working utility Tom Robinson to a knee injury that has required surgery. The pace-setting Blues now wait to see if the flanker-lock will be able to make it back before the end of Super Rugby Aotearoa. Robinson suffered a meniscus tear in the Blues’ opening win over the Hurricanes and was forced to miss their subsequent win over the Chiefs. Scans showed a need for surgery and Robinson had cartilage removed from the knee on Monday.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...tearoa-blues-lose-tom-robinson-to-knee-injury

Bit of a blow. Fortunately our greatest depth is at loose-forward, so won't be too bad. Especially if Gibson returns. Though, of course, that's a big if based on his past.

EDIT: Also:
In other injury news, the Blues will have All Blacks prop Karl Tu’inukuafe turn out for his Takapuna club side this weekend as he comes back from a hamstring injury. With the Blues having a bye next weekend, they are hopeful that Tu’inukuafe could be available for their clash with the Crusaders in Christchurch on July 11.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Takapuna is nice. Sun, sea and sandals. Posh beachfront community. Leafy secluded residences. Everyone's rich, no one seems to go to work. No way anyone could get worked up enough to play rugby in Takapuna. Worlds away from Onehunga. Do they even have winter in Takapuna? Where is this post even going? Have I even thought it through to a logical concl

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can confirm. Live in Onehunga but work in Takaboomer. No work is done. The Long Bay resident I share an office with doesn't even bother turning up anymore, so I effectively have my own office with a view of Rangitoto, which is nice. Indeed, the only other f*ckers that regularly turn up are the fellow proletariat from Mt Albert, Roskill, and Ellerslie. Though I suspect the Ellerslie one is a plant as she went to St Kents. Meanwhile the half-dozen North Shore patrician's that nominally work here may deign to grace us with their presence once, maybe twice, a week at the absolute most.

EDIT: I was startled to discover the other day that it does indeed rain on the Shore. Or so I thought. Turns out it was just some posh blokes sprinkler. An actual sprinkler that is. Not just a 14-year reluctantly old out there giving it a half-arsed effort under threat of an apocalyptic jandalling from mama Falani.

It's a strange place.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not just a 14-year reluctantly old out there giving it a half-arsed effort under threat of an apocalyptic jandalling from mama Falani.
haha, genuine LOL there

Strange place indeed. First thought was "where did they hide all the brown people?"

Would be a FANTASTIC place to be homeless. I would literally just go live on the fucken beach. Throw my shoes and socks in the ocean Reggie Perrin-style and lie down there forever.

The Long Bay resident I share an office with doesn't even bother turning up anymore
No surprise there. FFS. "Long Bay" and "work". LOLL.

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

"You want me to go where? To Takapuna? What the fuck would I go to that shithole for? To do WHAT? My fucking what? Since when have I had a job in Takapuna? Haha, you're my 'boss'. Good one. Look c**t, don't call this fucken number again. Dickhead. How about you go and do this mysterious 'job' thing since you seem so interested in it."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Official attendances reported by each Super Rugby Aotearoa club for the opening fortnight (note that it's standard practice to count season ticket holders as having attended whether they actually did or not):

Week one:

Highlanders v Chiefs at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin: 19,100

Blues v Hurricanes at Eden Park, Auckland: 42,000

Week two:

Chiefs v Blues at Stadium Waikato, Hamilton: 23,874

Hurricanes v Crusaders at Sky Stadium, Wellington: 20,349

Average crowd for first four matches: 26,330

c.f. 2019 average for 39 matches played in NZ of 11,538

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...more-than-double-as-blues-eye-another-bonanza

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interesting stat on Breakdown this week, taking about refs clamping down etc, first week there were 29 penalties average in the 2 games, 2nd week there were 25 and something loke 7'5 scrums per game over both weeks.
Pre Covid there were on average 21.5 penalties per game and about 15 scrums per game, so really the ball is in play a lot longer and will still improve. I think it will even out a little more yet and teams with a good scrum will maybe opt for them a bit more when they get penalty, but basically I think we on the right track!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlanders: Scott Gregory, Sam Gilbert, Rob Thompson, Sio Tomkinson, Jona Nareki, Mitch Hunt, Aaron Smith, Marino Mikaele Tu'u, Dillon Hunt, Shannon Frizell, Josh Dickson, Pari Pari Parkinson, Siate Tokolahi, Ash Dixon, Ayden Johnstone.

Replacements: Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Jeff Thwaites, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Teariki Ben-Nicholas, Kayne Hammington, Bryn Gatland, Ngane Punivai