• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Man these Highlanders forwards aren't up to much, are they? At least the Hurricanes have Savea and Aumua to add a bit of menace to the pack.

EDIT: Yes, I am quite enjoying this very Crusaders like experience of being able to pass judgement on other teams packs, safe in the knowledge the Blues forwards have about 20 All Blacks on hand to prevent any application of egg to the face.

I actually thought the Clan pack started looking ok. They will win a few games, but may keep struggling against big solid packs.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
No one knew much about Nanae Seturo but LOLL@Gatland, some of the most pea-hearted defense in rugby history to wave Nareki through for Crossword Frizzle's try. Absolutely did not want to know.

Executive Summary; LOL@Chiefs total collapse and disintegration and 0-9.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fahhken annoying how the j-comms talk up Dmac.

"He has a huge fan base in Japan!"
"He should come to Japan!"
"Ohhh it's DMac, look at him goooo!"

He's small, and brave, and playing at the top level, something they want every player in Japan to be like I suppose. Their little hero. They never mention him biffing his own teammates in the wood chipper with his headless chook sideways running bullshit.....

Executive Summary:

How Japan Views DMac:

giphy.gif

How I View Dmac:

giphy.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ FWIW I also think DMac should take an extended sabbatical in Japan. Only problem being Fozzy would probably demand & get an exemption to NZR's no offshore players reg.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Serious leadership problems at the Chiefs. Zero ability to grab back the momentum in the second half.

Cane is very good player but he's not much of a captain. No idea why he took the 3 points down 32-20 with 15 to play.

The tackle bags will be out at Chiefs training this week.

Nareki has shown moments of real class before - it all came together in this game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Serious leadership problems at the Chiefs. Zero ability to grab back the momentum in the second half.

Cane is very good player but he's not much of a captain. No idea why he took the 3 points down 32-20 with 15 to play.

The tackle bags will be out at Chiefs training this week.

Nareki has shown moments of real class before - it all came together in this game.

I always wonder about the question of taking penalties and captains etc. Most times the decsision is taken by senior group mainly involving the kicker, I mean the captain could over rule, but doubt it ever happens. Always wondered that when people got stuck into Hooper for Wallabies. And captaining funny thing, I thought (and Ash Dixon said same) that the Clan went their best when Dixon was in sinbin, so they basically didn't have a captain on field as Nugget was still on bench.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ FWIW I also think DMac should take an extended sabbatical in Japan. Only problem being Fozzy would probably demand & get an exemption to NZR's no offshore players reg.

I doubt whether McMillan would agree , after gatland's game , can see DMac at 10, Stevenson at 15.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt whether McMillan would agree , after gatland's game , can see DMac at 10, Stevenson at 15.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with DMac at NPC or Super Rugby Level but for me that's very much his ceiling & he has no business being anywhere near an AB 23 as he's neither a 10 nor a 15 at that level & there are better bench options available. Can't fault the blokes heart but he's just to small & too much a blowfly-in-a-bottle (to quote Shag) for Test footy. But Fozzy seems to believe (& in fact said as much 2-3 years ago) that he's a once-in-a-generation player who simply has to be in the mix no matter what or where.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with DMac at NPC or Super Rugby Level but for me that's very much his ceiling & he has no business being anywhere near an AB 23 as he's neither a 10 nor a 15 at that level & there are better bench options available. Can't fault the blokes heart but he's just to small & too much a blowfly-in-a-bottle (to quote Shag) for Test footy. But Fozzy seems to believe (& in fact said as much 2-3 years ago) that he's a once-in-a-generation player who simply has to be in the mix no matter what or where.

Not relly disagreeing with that, but funnily enough I reckon he would of been a bloody hit at 2019 WC and would of gone. I always imagined he was exactly the type of player that would of been a real promoters dream in a country like Japan, even against minor teams. People new to rugby seeing a little guy like him running around the way he does is actually what you want at WCs, instead of teams of robots which aren't bad for us rugby people, but getting new people to watch?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
But Fozzy seems to believe (& in fact said as much 2-3 years ago) that he's a once-in-a-generation player who simply has to be in the mix no matter what or where.
Oh fahhhhhhk that is depressing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the bright side, another crackingly mysterious blurb for todays match from WOWOW site:
"Good visibility to consecutive championships! Crusader's, the absolute champion of the white star start with an attacking rugby that shines physically and speed, collides with the hurricanes who lost the first section in the reverse direction for the first time this season! Whereabouts of the good card that shared the stars with 1 win and 1 loss last season !?"

Like the subtle framing of losing your first game of the season as "losing for the first time this season".

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
God these reskinned Crusaders horsemen are lame af. The silly hats and red-and-black fleece makes them look like a posse of mild mannered Canadian Anglican vicars who are moments away from spontaneously breaking out into the Lumberjack Song.

Just put them out of their misery and end them already.