• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Match Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Van der Westhuizen awarded Crotty another try in the 66th minute and first five-eighth Colin Slade was lining up the conversion when the official decided to check with the TMO to check the grounding of the ball"

Can someone who saw the game please enlighten me as to wtf happened there? I'm guessing someone got in the ref's ear, question is who - AR, TMO, Lions player(s)?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It was TMO that got in his ear, he was correct, and the TMO was the infamous Stu Berry, he also suggested the ref go back and look at the ruck before the last try that was allowed, but unfortunately for him he couldn't find anything!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was TMO that got in his ear, he was correct, and the TMO was the infamous Stu Berry, he also suggested the ref go back and look at the ruck before the last try that was allowed, but unfortunately for him he couldn't find anything!!

OK so yet another case of a sethfricken TMO sticking his 2p in when no one asked for it. SANZAR really need to do something about this, it's getting ridiculous & undermining the credibility of all match officials.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
OK so yet another case of a sethfricken TMO sticking his 2p in when no one asked for it. SANZAR really need to do something about this, it's getting ridiculous & undermining the credibility of all match officials.
Scratchng my head here, but does anyone remember if this has happened before

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Scratchng my head here, but does anyone remember if this has happened before

I get the impression that the role of the TMO has been expanded by the refs to allow review of obviously dubious decisions in order to get it right. In this case the TMO got it right and it would have been an injustice to allow the try to stand. Berry got one right, but he's got a long way to go to balance his right/wrong ledger.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes I've seen a ref award a try and then go up to check it quite a few times but mostly it was awarded accordingly after - first time I've seen it overturned.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So now we're awarding tries then going "oh, hang on maybe it was maybe it wasn't not sure um I know you're lining up the conversion & all but I'd like to go back & check what the guy in 32C thinks, oops still not sure hang on while I find the coin I'm sure I have in my pocket, it's right 55% of the time".

Just like to point out that "my" team won & by more than this maybe-debatable call so this ain't sour grapes it's a big wtf is going on y'all.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
I get the impression that the role of the TMO has been expanded by the refs to allow review of obviously dubious decisions in order to get it right. In this case the TMO got it right and it would have been an injustice to allow the try to stand. Berry got one right, but he's got a long way to go to balance his right/wrong ledger.

No probs at all with the overturning, however the whole process comes across as suspicious. Totally agree with your ledger comment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well will be interesting to see how Chiefs go with Cruden out for 6-8 weeks with broken thumb!! he has been their main man I think so Anscombe or Horrell (or TNW) need to srep up!!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

and if he stands as far back as he did at 1st 5 for the Blues then he'll be handbraking Chiefs murderously rapid counter-attackign threat. having logged a wee bit of time for my 1st XV back in the day as a 1st 5, standing up flat on attack is a LOT harder than it looks. decision making time becomes car crash time and "oh fuck what is he doing" time

One Nut is small but a courageous defender. Anscombe, not so much. And coming off surgery on both shoulders. Flankers will have to be on the ball to protect him. Maybe too late to sign up Mcawe to run some of his patented legendary "protective" running lines, which just so happen to coincide with where opposng defenders want to go no fault of his own, Mcawe is blameless and GOAT

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the Chiefs backline would make Anscombe stand shallower DP, but they may even look at Horrell there!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
and if he stands as far back as he did at 1st 5 for the Blues then he'll be handbraking Chiefs murderously rapid counter-attackign threat. having logged a wee bit of time for my 1st XV back in the day as a 1st 5, standing up flat on attack is a LOT harder than it looks. decision making time becomes car crash time and "oh fuck what is he doing" time

One Nut is small but a courageous defender. Anscombe, not so much. And coming off surgery on both shoulders. Flankers will have to be on the ball to protect him. Maybe too late to sign up Mcawe to run some of his patented legendary "protective" running lines, which just so happen to coincide with where opposng defenders want to go no fault of his own, Mcawe is blameless and GOAT

I was having this conversation with some of the boys back home the other day. People have been saying 'Why did the Blues ever let Anscombe go?'

I'm like - don't you remember how average he was?!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And in another twist, how will Canes go with word coming out that Hammett is not going to renew his contract next year. Some teamtend to go well when this happens.

One would wonder if this is reason Peter Russell has decided to pack in the Newcastle Falcons, he may have got nod he in line for Canes job?? Would be happy to see him have a crack he seemed to do well with the Hawkes Bay team when he had them!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Conrad Smith to become captain coach next year and then head coach after retiring at the end of RWC 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.