• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Match Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Followed by a stint in the Army to qualify as Chief Of Army and the title General Smith, while he finishes his Doctorate on Alternate Clean Energy Sources leading to a stint in Politics initially as the Wellington Lord Mayor then into Government as The Right Honourable General Doctor Sir Conrad Smith, RWC and Bar:).

Some of our NZRT supporters would like that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And in another twist, how will Canes go with word coming out that Hammett is not going to renew his contract next year. Some teamtend to go well when this happens.

One would wonder if this is reason Peter Russell has decided to pack in the Newcastle Falcons, he may have got nod he in line for Canes job?? Would be happy to see him have a crack he seemed to do well with the Hawkes Bay team when he had them!!

From stuff.co.nz:

"The Hurricanes hope to have departing coach Mark Hammett's successor confirmed by mid-June and say it doesn't have to be a New Zealander.

Hurricanes chairman Brian Roche said the hunt for a new coach for 2015 would begin immediately, as Hammett confirmed today he would leave when his contract ends at the end of the season.

"We formally start it today," Roche said.

"The announcement will have a few people thinking about their CVs. We'll go through a formal process. What we'd like is certainty and stability as soon as we can for the players and the organisation and to allow an orderly transition."

Early contenders include Wellington and New Zealand under-20 coach Chris Boyd, while former Hawke's Bay coach Peter Russell has just parted ways with English club Newcastle. Chiefs assistant Wayne Smith and former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans would be two possible high profile contenders.

Former Hurricanes skipper Tana Umaga won't be among the applicants, though, after a curiously timed statement today confirmed he would remain at the helm of Counties-Manukau until 2016, thereby ruling him out. It was issued five minutes after news of Hammett's departure.

"I'm not sure about the timing of that particular announcement," Roche said when asked about Umaga."

Interesting times ahead methinks.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Tana wants more experience before becoming a Super coach.
He has been very good for Counties.
I expect this was timed so people wouldn't bug him about it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Early contenders include Wellington and New Zealand under-20 coach Chris Boyd, while former Hawke's Bay coach Peter Russell has just parted ways with English club Newcastle. Chiefs assistant Wayne Smith and former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans would be two possible high profile contenders.

I rekon there would be no shortage of volunteers from these very threads to be Robbie Deans campaign manager for this gig.
Do you want a former CEO as well?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I rekon there would be no shortage of volunteers from these very threads to be Robbie Deans campaign manager for this gig.
Do you want a former CEO as well?

Lots of people, including some from South of the Waitaki & north of Cook Strait, have forgiven Deans for his part in our ''03 RWC debacle. The Possum Head not so much. Besides which I think Horrorcanes fans have suffered enough these past 19 years.

EDIT: on giving this some thought I just can't see one outsider being replaced by another. Hammett alienated plenty of fans & tried to make the 'canes something they've never been. The new coach will need to win back the fans (& sponsors) so I think they'll either go with a current ITM coach from within the catchment, or someone with strong links to the region.

Obvious choice is current Wellington & (remembering that this is an NZRU gig) NZU20 coach Chris Boyd, but I wonder if they might give Manawatu coach & Hurricanes legend Jason O'Halloran a crack. Russell had Hawkes Bay going pretty good but iirc he left NZ at least partly due to not getting NZRU recognition.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Highlanders vs Bulls, HT 13-13, Bulls a different side without Morne Steyn and his up-and-under and hope you drop it one-trick pony gelding nonsense. In fact theyre biffing it around like they're the 2003 Blues.

Matfield should walk back into the bok side if he can play like this

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Highlanders Bulls. What a game. TheClan have completely nullified the Bull's rolling maul.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez that was a great game to watch, the Clan just decided they weren't going to lose and that was it!!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Highlanders Bulls. What a game. TheClan have completely nullified the Bull's rolling maul.

Great heart shown on defence by the Landers, but they were extremely lucky to keep 15 on the park.

Dixon and Christie were excellent.

Fekitoa MOTM and Ben Smith showed all his class tonight despite taking a heavy knock in the opening minutes of the game.

Both sides played with pace and spread the ball, hitting it up with venom. Was great to watch.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kiss of death time? From today's stuff.co.nz sports section:

"Crusaders coaches have full support - Riach
RICHARD KNOWLERApr 12, 2014

UNDER THE PUMP: Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder's feeling the heat to get his side performing. - DANIEL TOBIN/ Fairfax NZ
Advertisement

No ultimatum has been issued to Todd Blackadder.

The Crusaders unconvincing start has left them languishing in 12th place but chief executive Hamish Riach was adamant neither he, nor the board, have fired any private warning shots at head coach Blackadder or his assistants Dave Hewett, Tabai Matson and Aaron Mauger.

"All the coaching staff have our unconditional support, we have complete faith in them," said Riach, who is on tour with the Crusaders in South Africa.

"Of course when a campaign starts slowly you are well aware of it, and there are lots of conversations about it, but none of them have been about the coaching group not being the right group to coach the team.

"They have our full support."

""We were really happy with what we saw in Johannesburg," Riach maintained. "The game plan worked and they stuck to it. The campaign certainly didn't get off to the start we would have liked and we were disappointed about that.

"But, equally, the leadership has shone through in recent times."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fekitoa and Anscombe, astute talent ID Kirwan is.
Well after that rubbish game by Chiefs tonight, I though whole team were pretty average, but Anscombe seemed to be trying to prove JK was correct, thought he was pretty ordinary, much to my disappointment.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well after that rubbish game by Chiefs tonight, I though whole team were pretty average, but Anscombe seemed to be trying to prove JK was correct, thought he was pretty ordinary, much to my disappointment.

Where was he? I watched the whole game and am strugglign to recall him having the ball in the pivot position at all.

Chiefs up 20 after 20 without even opening the throttle, maybe it went to their heads and they switched off a bit? Even Latimer off the bench failed to spark them. Fell off that japper hooker badly for the try. Mils gets the hook for some academy kid? Bit galling with game in balance and experience needed. Maybe they wanted a gung ho sprog to chase kicks and pin them downtown

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Crusaders whopped the Cheetahs in another try-fest, 52-31 with a hat trick to Nadolo. Rapid rise up the ladder from 12th to 7th!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders whopped the Cheetahs in another try-fest, 52-31 with a hat trick to Nadolo. Rapid rise up the ladder from 12th to 7th!

We've not won both games in SA since '08 so that's encouraging, even allowing for the quality of the opposition, but the real test will be to knock over either the Chiefs in Hamilton next week, the Brumbies @ AMI on May 3 (we have the bye in between), or in a perfect world both. Do that & we can start thinking about Finals football.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where was he? I watched the whole game and am strugglign to recall him having the ball in the pivot position at all.

Chiefs up 20 after 20 without even opening the throttle, maybe it went to their heads and they switched off a bit? Even Latimer off the bench failed to spark them. Fell off that japper hooker badly for the try. Mils gets the hook for some academy kid? Bit galling with game in balance and experience needed. Maybe they wanted a gung ho sprog to chase kicks and pin them downtown

Latimer started DP. Rennie went with the dual opensides to start with Messam off the bench.

Was a pretty tough game to watch all round IMO.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Congrats to Nadolo on finally bagging a Super Rugby try. And then 2 more. It's been a long & windy road for him to get there.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Latimer started DP. Rennie went with the dual opensides to start with Messam off the bench.
Was a pretty tough game to watch all round IMO.
jeez thats right he did too! I remember that, then what felt like 3 days later saw him run on from the sideline? I dunno, maybe the games are starting to blur into each other!

ps, crazily enough, Nadolo plays like a giant pansy!

Status
Not open for further replies.