• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Match Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Skysports UK are having a quick segment on Sean Fitzpatrick and Michael Lynagh's pick for the final 6.

Interestingly they see:
1. Tahs
2. Crusaders
3. Sharks
4. Brumbies
5. Highlanders
6. Hurricanes.

They do caution however that a LOT depends on this weekends remaining games, and of course, next week.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not a good result for NZ overall, if the Bulls win, looking like only the Highlanders and Crusaders will make it.

For me I have never cared who the other teams in the finals are or where they come from, as long as the red n blacks (and occasional white) are there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlanders is a funny one, personally don't see them getting another point and could go into the finals having being beaten comprehensively in their last 2 matches.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Not confident in Highlanders beating Tahs, but who knows? I'd be happy with a bonus point losing effort however.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Highlanders is a funny one, personally don't see them getting another point and could go into the finals having being beaten comprehensively in their last 2 matches.

You automatically assume they'll be comprehensively beaten tomorrow Q? You should know better than that

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tahs at home are unbeaten this year and don't really keep it close either, don't think I'll being biased when I say I can't see the Highlanders pack competing with them for 80. Their backs are special and can score out of nothing but the Tahs defence is the best part of their game and will keep them to under 20. Tahs will get over 30 with their strike power.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
At some point, being the smallest franchise, with the poorest finances and a comparatively tiny player pool will bite the Highlanders in the bum.

If we just finish ahead of the Blues that will be a victory of sorts.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well said, bdb. I cheer for the Clan when they play anyone other than the Tahs (well, my NZ grandmother did come from Dunedin), they certainly know how to display heart and culture. I suspect Vic Cavanagh's ghost does his bit to help in these matters.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Brilliant results over night. Now up to the highlanders to add the cream to what has already been a sweet weekend.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Biggest heart and best team culture though teach

Got the flu so being a bit pessimistic when I posted it.
A freezing rugby game for my u14 team on thursday night so the the other school's hostel boys could go home didn't help.

Would love to see the team go further though. The game this afternoon will be very interesting. I think the waratahs are going to find it a bit tougher than they think.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Crus-blues. Was good to see glen Jackson penalise crotty for joining a maul in the side. About time a ref actually pinged someone for it this year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Iron jaw Slade loses mouth guard again

If Nonu was coming at me, I'd be pulling a hammy real quick to avoid the smack

Saw this on stuff.co.nz:

"Concerns about first five-eighth Colin Slade's health after a tackle on Ma'a Nonu resulted in him being catapulted to the turf, appeared to be unfounded.

"Despite Slade leaving the field soon after the incident, which allowed Dan Carter to move from second-five to pivot, Blackadder said the feedback from medical staff yesterday was positive.

"This was despite Slade failing a concussion test in the previous game, against the Hurricanes.

"It's not concussion at all. He had a meeting with [team doctor] Deb Robinson and he's absolutely fine."

Balls of steel has our Colin!

From the same story, mixed news on McAwesome & Sam W:

"Although Blackadder is hopeful lock Sam Whitelock, who withdrew from the Blues match at late notice because of a sore calf, will be available, he appears less optimistic about McCaw.

"The All Blacks captain has not played since he carried his fractured rib into the third test against England on June 21. While McCaw has indicated to coaching staff he may be fit, Blackadder was cautious about taking a risk.

"He would be pretty touch and go.

"He has said he is feeling a hell of a lot better but we will get a better idea later in the week to see where that's at," Blackadder said.

"McCaw's chances of meeting the Highlanders depends on whether he can complete contact trainings."

Thought Todd had his best game in ages on Saturday, no need to rush GOAT back if he's not 100% IMO.

Over on nz.sports.yahoo there's some not-so-good news for the Blues/ good news for the Chiefs:

"The Blues will be without injured winger Frank Halai for what is likely to be their last game of the Super Rugby season.

"Halai is ruled out of Friday's match against the Chiefs in Auckland after spraining his ankle during the 21-13 loss to the Crusaders on Saturday.

"The one-Test winger scored the Blues' only try - a 90m intercept - in a game which all but ends their hopes of reaching the playoffs.

"They are ninth and must beat the Chiefs by 39 points to finish in the top six.

"Fullback Lolagi Visinia is in doubt for the game after sustaining a leg haematoma while shoulder injuries to flanker Steven Luatua and prop Tony Woodcock will be monitored."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Counties Manukau pulled clear in the second half to stave off a Ranfurly Shield challenge from Mid Canterbury 46-10 in Pukekohe.

"The holders led 22-10 at halftime but scored four unanswered tries after the break in wet conditions on Wednesday against the Heartland Championship Meads Cup champions.

"Counties Manukau flanker Dan Hyatt scored two tries in the first five minutes and fullback Jared Page crossed soon afterwards.

"The NPC Premiership division side were then rocked by a Mid Canterbury try to hooker Jon Sharpe crossing and five points from the boot of first five-eighth Murray Williams.

"The home side scored tries after halftime to wingers Toni Pulu and Andy Muirhead, No.8 Maama Vaipulu and prop John Tu'ugafasi.

"Counties Manukau, who defended the Shield 68-0 against Thames Valley last week, face their next challenge from Otago in an NPC game on August 23"

Status
Not open for further replies.