• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Apparently there are reserve days for the semis. Worst thing would be to have a rain affected match where DLS comes into play.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
"Not pictured is Ross Taylor just off screen with a water cannon ready to blow the whole thing over with an immaculately timed confused run between the wickets."

Fair play to Taylor. He's obviously gone away and thought long and hard about the manner in which he runs between the wickets, including communicating with his batting partner. Subsequently it seems he's developed a plan to overcome this weakness. A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. What is this plan?

He's going to bat like it's a test match.

Can't run out your partner if you never run between the wickets.

MQe6AUUu.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ will resume at 211/5 with 23 balls remaining of which Bumrah will bowl 12. Taylor 67* so I guess 240 is possible.

Best-case scenario for NZ is early rain reducing India's innings: apparently the DLS target is currently 148 off 20. Next-best is we get 240 then Boult & Ferguson take the top off the Indian batting (that said, they've picked Jadeja so bat down to eight).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Best-case scenario for NZ is early rain reducing India's innings: apparently the DLS target is currently 148 off 20. Next-best is we get 240 then Boult & Ferguson take the top off the Indian batting (that said, they've picked Jadeja so bat down to eight).

I'm no mathematician, but 148 off 20 seems a bit off considering the Kiwis are currently 211 off 45 (a runrate of about 4.5).

But I expect they will get enough play tomorrow to finish the game off despite the forecast.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Will be interesting to see if the covers have affected the pitch. The ball was really holding in the surface and was difficult to get away, NZ will be hoping that continues.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm no mathematician, but 148 off 20 seems a bit off considering the Kiwis are currently 211 off 45 (a runrate of about 4.5).

But I expect they will get enough play tomorrow to finish the game off despite the forecast.

DLS moves in mysterious ways........

"Various scenarios could have played out depending on when the rain stopped. India could have been set a revised target of anything between 148 in 20 overs and 237 in 46...."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...and-1st-semi-final-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019

Like you I think it'll be a moot point & NZ will need to rely on scenario B(owl the buggers out!).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Regardless of however many overs we have, surely it's time to front-load the bowling and immediately bowl out Lovely Trenty, Ferguson and Henry in search of as many wickets as possible? Ideally with full-on test fields.

At least it'd end quickly one way or another.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Regardless of however many overs we have, surely it's time to front-load the bowling and immediately bowl out Lovely Trenty, Ferguson and Henry in search of as many wickets as possible? Ideally with full-on test fields.

A sound strategy I think. Really the Kiwis have to throw the kitchen sink at India in those first 10 or so overs and hope they knock 3-4 of them over, including Kholi. I'd be advocating the same approach by our guys against England too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sounds like Australia's team will probably be:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

The other option is to drop Maxwell and replace him with Wade.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

You mean like we shoulda done when we had Straya 92/5?

With India presumably starting with the full 50 overs but likely to be reduced later it makes even more sense to get as many overs as possible from Boult, Henry & Ferguson while they're still allowed to bowl 10.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
You mean like we shoulda done when we had Straya 92/5?

Probably. Was that the one that kicked off at 12am NZT? Missed that if so.

As a general rule I'm in favour of blitzkrieging ODI's with front-loaded attacks. You've got to have so many fielders inside the circle you might as well just go for it and hammer them hard for 20-30 overs with your best bowlers and a beautifully plump slip cordon.

Of course, if everyone did that and it was even reasonably successful, the ICC would quickly put limits on bowling spells. Can't have those batsmen face any real challenges.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like Australia's team will probably be:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

The other option is to drop Maxwell and replace him with Wade.

how has Stoinis been going? I think Maxwell's bowling has been pretty good. I almost go him ahead of Stoinis just for that. Has looked better with the bat too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
how has Stoinis been going? I think Maxwell's bowling has been pretty good. I almost go him ahead of Stoinis just for that. Has looked better with the bat too.

Stoinis has taken 7 wickets from 38 overs and has an economy rate of 6.07.

Maxwell has 0 wickets from 49 overs and economy rate of 6.02.

I would be tempted to include Wade but I'm not sure we can drop Stoinis. I feel like our side is better with both Stoinis and Maxwell as bowling options in that we can better cover for someone having a bad day.

Wade's form has been so good though. I'd include him before Handscomb.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought I read Langer said that if we included Wade Maxwell would be the one on the chopping block and Handscomb is the replacement for Khawaja. Unfortunately Stoinis and Maxwell haven’t really gotten a big score this WC.