• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I see Dhoni was run out off a no ball. Six outside the circle. Indian nedia think that would have made all the difference. Dhoni wouldn't have run the second and the free hit. I'm not so sure.

I'm interested to see if anyone can confirm it with something other than the graphic on the screen. I am not sure that is live tracking of the players via GPS and a foolproof method of suggesting where everyone was.

It's obviously irrelevant at this point but will give disappointed fans something to turn their anger towards.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bahaha, the Indian media will be whipping this up into some sort of conspiracy now. Forget about the fact that their team blew it and were outplayed, but no it'll be all about the alleged no-ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The argument that Dhoni would have settled for a single if he knew the next ball was a free hit (that he then wouldn't have got to face) is ridiculous.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No one move. I haven't since we lost Handscomb and we are somewhat rebuilding. Also thought it was pretty grubby from Archer not to come up to Carey after he hit him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
England need 224 to win. It's going to take a near miracle from here unless that track is doing plenty. Need about four early wickets!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well I never thought we'd make the semi final so colour me surprised.

Also didn't think Smith would deliver in 50 over and I never really saw Carey's abilities.

So I've enjoyed having my expectations surpassed this tournament.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So much resting on Finch and Warner. If they both fail you can't see us getting to 300.

Hate to quote myself, but that's what it all came back to. Our openers failed, while Bairstow and Roy thrived. Sometimes you can oversimplify these things, but to me that's where it was won and lost.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now I'm kinda glad we didn't knock the b'stards out: as I posted earlier in the thread, I don't believe this NZ side has a better than 20% chance in a Final v Straya & I wouldn't rate our chances v Pakistan much higher but against Ringinland I think we're a genuine chance.

Roy & Bairstow have to decide if they're gonna go after Boult & Henry at the risk of emulating Rohit & Rahul; or see them off & potentially put scoreboard pressure on Root, Morgan etc.

Nice to know there'll be plenty of support from t'other side of ditch, we don't see that very often!
#AnyoneButRinginland.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sadly, that result was always just around the corner for us this WC. We have relied so heavily on Finch and Warner, with Smith providing a bit of stability in the middle and Carey delivering at the end, and no one else really making a contribution. When your entire batting performance falls to just four players, you don't need much to go wrong, or what just happened is the result. It was an opportunity for some others to stand up when it really mattered, but they didn't.
Not that we had a lot of alternatives, but I just don't think Hanscombe or Stoinis are at this level, and Maxi, well you just need someone who can bowl at 145k and you've got him.
Just glad we didn't follow the suggestions of some and leave Smith and Warner out because they 'hadn't done enough to earn their spots back'!
To me the real positives were the way those two stepped right back in where they left off, and the performances of Carey and Behrendorff, who really stepped up to this level. Generally, I though our bowling was pretty good once Behrendorff and Lyon came in.