• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pacific Rugby Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Reds College XV Team v Tonga A
1. Sam Denny (Reds College - Souths)
2. Andrew Ready (National Academy - Easts)
3. Jono Owen (St.George Queensland Reds - University)
4. Blake Enever (Extended Playing Squad - Easts)
5. Tom Murday (Reds College - Sunnybank)
6. Nigel Ah Wong (Extended Playing Squad - Sunnybank)
7. Mitch King (GPS)
8. Curtis Browning (c) (Reds College - University)
9. Nigel Genia (Reds College - Wests)
10. Jono Lance (St.George Queensland Reds - University)
11. Danny Routledge (Reds College - Sunnybank)
12. UJ Seuteni (Extended Playing Squad - Easts)
13. Simon Morahan (Reds College - University)
14. Lachlan Creighton (Reds College - Brothers)
15. Rod Davies (St.George Queensland Reds - University)

16. Maile Ngauamo (National Academy - Sunnybank)
17. Sef Faagase (National Academy - Wests)
18. Phil Kite (National Academy - GPS)
19. Alex Toolis (National Academy - GPS)
20. Luke Beauchamp (Brothers)
21. Sam Grasso (GPS)
22. Dion Taumata (Reds College - Sunnybank)
23. Rex Tapuai (Reds College - Sunnybank)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I can't get out to the Reds tonight or the next couple of home games so am keen to get out and see that game tomorrow. Kick off is at 3pm and its free entry. What is parking like around Ballymore?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The process is flawed because there are countless others who cant be involved in this because they simply don't have the opportunity to miss work or they simply cant afford to miss work. They should not be excluded from B teams because certain players parents and club sponsors can bankroll their existence in these programs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The process is flawed because there are countless others who cant be involved in this because they simply don't have the opportunity to miss work or they simply cant afford to miss work. They should not be excluded from B teams because certain players parents and club sponsors can bankroll their existence in these programs.

These things are a fact of life though.

The coaches have to pick the players who train with them. They can't pick players who can't train.

When it is essentially an amateur event for those outside the contracted Waratahs players, it will always fall to who can commit the time.

You can't begrudge someone because they are young, probably still living at home and are being supported by their parents to be able to seek these opportunities.

The people training and playing for free are making sacrifices too.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Keen to see how Colby Fainga'a goes tonight - think he will be out to prove something.

Also any word if Vili Fainga'a is playing for Tonga?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
These things are a fact of life though.

The coaches have to pick the players who train with them. They can't pick players who can't train.

When it is essentially an amateur event for those outside the contracted Waratahs players, it will always fall to who can commit the time.

You can't begrudge someone because they are young, probably still living at home and are being supported by their parents to be able to seek these opportunities.

The people training and playing for free are making sacrifices too.

This is the ugly interface between professional and amateur.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is the ugly interface between professional and amateur.

Further to my previous comments, it would be a completely different situation if this was a standalone team. It's not though. It involves members of the Waratahs 35 man squad and the team spends their time training with and in parallel to the Tahs number one side.

It's not like they can hold the training sessions on weeknights like a club rugby team would to make it possible for more people to be involved.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Further to my previous comments, it would be a completely different situation if this was a standalone team. It's not though. It involves members of the Waratahs 35 man squad and the team spends their time training with and in parallel to the Tahs number one side.

It's not like they can hold the training sessions on weeknights like a club rugby team would to make it possible for more people to be involved.

I guess its lucky that the net is not cast so wide that kids straight out school who have to work face a conflict so early in their working lives.
By the way I dont see an alternative - i just think its another example of how in nearly 20 years of professional rugby we still dont have the pathways properly worked out.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
To call off one game because of the weather seems ridiculous. They're still playing a S15 game there, the ground will still get ripped up, why not let the A game still happen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To call off one game because of the weather seems ridiculous. They're still playing a S15 game there, the ground will still get ripped up, why not let the A game still happen?

Because they don't want the ground in a terrible state before the main fixture even begins.

It's surely just common sense.

I would be surprised if they're not trying to work out an alternative location in Sydney to play the game this weekend.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I would be surprised if they're not trying to work out an alternative location in Sydney to play the game this weekend.

If they do I hope that they publish where they are going to play it. Wouldn't mind taking in another game tomorrow

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty poor to cancel the game I reckon - Aus rugby is struggling enough now we are cancelling games to show off some of our younger talent..hope they find a new place to play tomorrow asap.if not poor form ARU etc..

It has been raining steadily for about 24 hours and it is still raining.

They would be absolutely crazy to let a curtain raiser proceed this evening. The Super Rugby game has to be the priority. Why wouldn't you want the pitch in the best condition possible?

I simply don't understand why people are surprised by this decision. It is a no brainer.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah very fair decision to call it off, don't think you understand how much rain has hit Sydney the last couple of days. Anyway it probably wasn't even the Tahs decision, SCGT would've had the say. To mention the ARU is ridiculous, how are they even possibly relevant in a situation like this..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The stadium would be leading the way in making the decision too. A lot of footy to be played there this season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting question. Considering Saracens are currently trialing the use of artificial turf in the Aviva Premiership would it be worthwhile for places like the SFS to look to install similar to take care of at least some of the wet weather issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.