• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Would prefer just one captain chosen but, still, those are good players for the job.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I suspect like last year for the Spirit, the Super players won't all start every game. So they need a few options.

T

TOCC

I find that a little disappointing, if this comp is to really succeed then it needs all the marquee and quality players it can get, they need to be playing in every match not just the home games and finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find that a little disappointing, if this comp is to really succeed then it needs all the marquee and quality players it can get, they need to be playing in every match not just the home games and finals.

Well if it makes their games against the NSW more competitive that's good?

T

TOCC

Well if it makes their games against the NSW more competitive that's good?

It's up to the weaker NSW teams to make themselves more competitive, not for other teams to lower their standard.

If improved coaching and a lift In the level of professionalism in the teams(Waratahs/NSWRU could assist) doesn't achieve this then perhaps they ought to consider a rationalisation/reduction of the teams in the state.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

I don't think they will get rested much. In a couple of positions (mostly the front row and back row) we'll probably see some change up to build depth. I reckon the A team will start 3/4 games. I dont think it will be all at once like last year either.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the Spirit coach said in an article on the Roar that they won't do the home and away policy like last year.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
To be honest, I don't want to see Super players every week. Fringe ones, yes, but I think it's more important to be looking at the young fellas from club land.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree Charger. By far the most important thing about the NRC is seeing generation next. We already know what the Super rugby players can do, it's the guys in the next level down who need to be exposed to a higher level of footy. It builds depth for our franchise, rugby in WA and the code in general.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree Charger. By far the most important thing about the NRC is seeing generation next. We already know what the Super rugby players can do, it's the guys in the next level down who need to be Oz. exposed to a higher level of footy. It builds depth for our franchise, rugby in WA and the code in general.

+1

Strengthening WA rugby will do wonders for rugby all over.

This is important step to getting the Force self reliant with local players and without the need for east coasters. This will do wonders for player retention which I think is the achillles heel of the Western Force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
the guys in the next level down who need to be exposed to a higher level of footy. It builds depth for our franchise, rugby in WA and the code in general.

I agree with this - and for a young player to get a run, a Super player needs to make way. No problem.

For multiple reasons, what I'm not in favour of is just running out a team full of mainly club players. They should be mixed in more with the pros. But it sounds like that's what RugbyWA are planning on doing this season, which is good.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Charger. By far the most important thing about the NRC is seeing generation next. We already know what the Super rugby players can do, it's the guys in the next level down who need to be exposed to a higher level of footy. It builds depth for our franchise, rugby in WA and the code in general.

But if the best players don't play, it is not a higher level of footy that the best club rugby.

T

TOCC

Yeah thats the funny thing, if everyone rested their super rugby players then it would be a glorified version of the QPR/Shute Shield, the whole purpose of the NRC is to bridge the gap between club rugby and super rugby.. The more competitive the games are and the better the players are that are involved, then the better the product is not only for the fans but in terms of developing the player as well.

I understand that the Force players have a hectic Super Rugby travel schedule, but where possible the best players should be playing. There are enough positions in the team to develop 'generation next' whilst playing beside established stars. It doesn't need to be one or the other.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No one is talking about the same strategy as last year where we had an A team and a B team. What we want is WA players getting some good game time. Let a guy like Heath Tessman (who doesn't have many years left on the clock) start two out of every three games and let Harry Scoble (who needs time to develop into a top class hooker) start the third. This doesn't dimish the competition if the cycling of players is staggered (i.e. we don't have a reserve team every third game).

Besides that, how do we even know who is the best? Ryan Louwrens (WA based) was in better form that Ian Prior (from over east) last season. Would we be criticised for giving Louwrens more game time?

If we are complaining about anyone devaluing the competition, we should take a closer look at NSW having 4 teams.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
^^^^^ What he said.

Just the bringing together of the best club players from across the country raises the standard and of course Super rugby squad members are going to be there. I just want local first grade players from WA getting a good shake at playing at a higher level.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No one is talking about the same strategy as last year where we had an A team and a B team. What we want is WA players getting some good game time. Let a guy like Heath Tessman (who doesn't have many years left on the clock) start two out of every three games and let Harry Scoble (who needs time to develop into a top class hooker) start the third. This doesn't dimish the competition if the cycling of players is staggered (i.e. we don't have a reserve team every third game).

Besides that, how do we even know who is the best? Ryan Louwrens (WA based) was in better form that Ian Prior (from over east) last season. Would we be criticised for giving Louwrens more game time?

If we are complaining about anyone devaluing the competition, we should take a closer look at NSW having 4 teams.

While I subscribe to the thinking that NSW may be over sunscribed by a team. I think it should be noted that if all the NSW developed talent that's padding out a number of the other squads had returned there wouldn't be a competitiveness issue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
asking genuinely, is there that much? Other than the players contracted with their Super Rugby team, is there many Sydney club players at the other NRC teams?

T

Train Without a Station

While I subscribe to the thinking that NSW may be over sunscribed by a team. I think it should be noted that if all the NSW developed talent that's padding out a number of the other squads had returned there wouldn't be a competitiveness issue.

If NSW had professional teams to support them, then they wouldn't have left.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Duncan Chubb is playing for the Rising, he's the only one I can spy. He's probably auditioning for an EPS spot, a bit like Talakai moving up to play for the Queensland sides last season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
asking genuinely, is there that much? Other than the players contracted with their Super Rugby team, is there many Sydney club players at the other NRC teams?

Umm...look at many of the Super Rugby players who will be filling say the Risings roster and you'll notice that quite a number are from NSW. That was more the point I was making.

Status
Not open for further replies.