• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We are in the fortunate position where we don't have to compete as much with League for fans and juniors. A couple of guys (mostly outside backs) have slipped through the net to the League U20s tournaments but I think that the NRC will go a long way to plugging that hole in the future.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd like to think so. The game is just going from strength to strength over here. There have never been more juniors playing than now, the rep teams have been getting better and now we're seeing some of these young blokes performing at Super rugby level. Much kudos to the team at RugbyWA and the ARU for keeping the faith and sticking to the strategy. We're not there yet, but every year there has been improvement and that's what's important.

The confidence these local club boys would have got not only out of the game on the weekend but will build throughout the NRC will be great for not only the Force but the club game on Perth itself. Others will work harder to best these guys for the chance to play in the NRC. The benefit this will deliver for the club game in both Perth and Melbourne will possibly be the biggest pay off of them all.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
And the best thing is I think the true wave of growth is still to come. The junior rugby scene in WA is now just exploding, mainly with the children of ex-pat Saffers and kiwis, but those kids are going to want to play for Australia.

I think the true boom will be seen in about 2019.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the growth in junior numbers club based or school based?

If there is time to do so, I would recommend that there are no "closed shop" school rugby associations set up. By all means have games against "traditional foe" but these games can exist in conjunction with an open and graded (promotion/relegation) Youth Rugby Competition, possibly involving club teams as well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mostly in the clubs HJ. There are two schools comps, the traditional PSA (read GPS here) and everyone else (read CHS/CAS/CCC). There are more juniors playing than at any time I can remember. I'm hoping to convince my boy that rugby is the one true path when he hits year seven and he'll be at a school that plays rugby ;) At the moment he plays Aussie Rules because he wants to be with his mates.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
There are two school comps run in Perth. The large one is run by Rugby WA and holds games midweek. Many of these kids also play club rugby on the weekends. Then there is the PSA comp for the expensive schools. In the older ages this runs on a Saturday and does impact on the U16s and Colts U19 comps for a number of the premier grade clubs who are located in the so called Golden Triangle of Perth

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
At the moment he plays Aussie Rules because he wants to be with his mates.

How committed are you? On one hand he could play rugby, or on the other hand you could tell all of his mates that he wets the bed. It's not parenting if children aren't scarred for life afterwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To'omua 10 Godwin 12 at some stage in gold this year?

I doubt it. I think it would take an amazing NRC and a bunch of injuries for Godwin to make the EOYT.

I also think we're more likely to see Cooper return at 10 before To'omua is played there again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stop teasing the Mocker Gods with talk like that.

We've already Done a Bradbury with the #2 jumper. Doing a Double Bradbury with the Inside Backs would be unthinkable.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I doubt it. I think it would take an amazing NRC and a bunch of injuries for Godwin to make the EOYT.

I also think we're more likely to see Cooper return at 10 before To'omua is played there again.
I would like to see how he goes in the NRC first I don't see why it would be such a big surprise if you didnmake it there sometime this year.

Link has publicly said he would have been in the squad if not injury and I guess you could say if you show some form he could really push some of the other players especially someone like Lilo.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Stoked that Godwin is back and hope to see him really carve up in the NRC. It can't be a bad thing for some guys outside the test 23 putting their hands up, which is why I love this concept so much.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ahh yes but that is assuming Godwin plays 12.

Godwin at 12 would provide a good guide to Kerevi's tackle busting ability. He (Kerevi) looked awesome last week but I expect Kyle to offer sterner opposition this week. On the other hand, Kyle will probably also test out Kerevi's defensive abilities. Should bbe a good matchup if it occurs.

UnionThug

Frank Row (1)
Possible strongest team based on where the players are listed and taking out Charles and McCalman who will probably be in the Wallaby match day 23

1 Cowan
2 Tessmann
3 Hoskins
4 Wykes
5 Walton
6 Stander
7 Hodgson
8 RHP
9 Prior
10 Homes
11 Morahan
12 Godwin
13 Rasolea
14 Brache
15 DHP

16 Abel/Scobel
17 Faulkner
18 van Wyk
19 Murphy/Stevens/Stringer (Don't know enough about these guys)
20 Whoever the most versatile of Rovira/Thomas/Koteka (Hardiwck is a 7)
21 Tuner
22 Burton
23 Leyds

Hey D-Box can you tell me what the Lotto numbers are for this Saturday? haha

2014 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship – Week Two
Perth Spirit v Brisbane City
McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont
Sunday, 31 August 2014
Kick-off: 3.30pm (local)

1. Pek Cowan (Wests Scarborough)
2. Heath Tessmann (Nedlands)
3. Tetera Faulkner (Wanneroo)