• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Surprised McCalman wasn't sent back for a gallop. Is he over in NZ as cover or injured

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Team not quite as strong as i had hoped but 19/23 players are WA based which is great for the game in Perth.

I have read they are trying to manage the Force players into this comp due to the huge amount of travel they have already done during the super rugby season im sure the above team will do us proud.

Yeah I would have liked a stronger team picked (i.e. more Force players) but let's see how these local boys go -- it'll be good for them.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good on the Spirit coaches for picking a mostly local team. We might get smashed, but at least we can give some of those fringe guys a chance to prove themselves, which is the point of the competition.​

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats to the Perth Spirit team. I am a UC Vikings Supporter, but IMHO the Perth boys came over east to play footie. Our boys were poor in defence, and at the breakdown. Spirit played very well, and wonderful to see a lot of the young up and comers get a decent run. I think Perth will give a few teams a good crack. It is great for rugby and great for the competition. Congrats again!

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
If you haven't heard Spirit won 28-23.
2 yellow cards awarded to spirit
1 yellow card to Vikings.
Both teams have things to work on, but Spirit were definitely the better team today.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You were right the first time Charlie Brown.

It was 28-23. They kicked a penalty after the siren.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Good on the Spirit coaches for picking a mostly local team. We might get smashed, but at least we can give some of those fringe guys a chance to prove themselves, which is the point of the competition.

They certainly did prove themselves and did WA proud - so good choice and I think the Force may have unearthed some potential talent to develop. Also shows you coaching structures etc are working.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
One thing that I have noticed over time is that those local players who do get brought into our system often perform a lot better than most people (myself included) would expect. You often hear guys in Perth clubland banging on about how there are better players in clubland than in the Force system. Maybe there is some truth in that.

Kieran Longbottom, Justin Turner and Kyle Godwin were fantastic in their debut Super Rugby games. James Stannard was no slouch either.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
One thing that I have noticed over time is that those local players who do get brought into our system often perform a lot better than most people (myself included) would expect. You often hear guys in Perth clubland banging on about how there are better players in clubland than in the Force system. Maybe there is some truth in that.

Kieran Longbottom, Justin Turner and Kyle Godwin were fantastic in their debut Super Rugby games. James Stannard was no slouch either.

It's great to see putting a super rugby side in Perth has really paid off from a development perspective. I was very critical of it at the time but with the players coming through now and the Force doing well, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Looking back it might even be the best decision the ARU has made in the past decade.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's great to see putting a super rugby side in Perth has really paid off from a development perspective. I was very critical of it at the time but with the players coming through now and the Force doing well, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Looking back it might even be the best decision the ARU has made in the past decade.

I'd like to think so. The game is just going from strength to strength over here. There have never been more juniors playing than now, the rep teams have been getting better and now we're seeing some of these young blokes performing at Super rugby level. Much kudos to the team at RugbyWA and the ARU for keeping the faith and sticking to the strategy. We're not there yet, but every year there has been improvement and that's what's important.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Link has said McCalman is likely to be released to play for the Spirit this weekend
He hasn't been involved in the match days like McCalman but Hodgson said yesterday on Facebook he will be playing for the spirit this Sunday.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Next year I'd be interested to see how many WA-based players there are in Super rugby compared to Canberra, I reckon they could outnumber them.

Status
Not open for further replies.