• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby this year? POST HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not at all. The key points were about the scrum, lineout, and tackle, all of which I am expert in. Passing and kicking weren't covered, but that's OK because that is for nancies.

So we ran over Notre Dame in Seconds today. I played the whole game at loosehead and while their young lads were enthusiastic, I found myself handing out propping tips to their LHP just so the damn thing would stop collapsing. We won 44-7 after picking up three tries in the first half. Their scrum had no answer for us but at least they didn't fag out like some clubs with uncontested scrums.

First Grade were actually down 15-5 at halftime - we were missing a couple of starters and looked like we were playing in slowmo. ND really stuck it up us and used their bigger lads close-in to rumble it up and steal a few tries. I came on at halftime and due to no effort of my own, our physicality started to wear them down to win 34-18. If they keep that side together for a couple of years at NDU they'll be real challengers.

By far the best news of the day was Oakhill 2nds only beating Harlequins 5-0. The lack of bonus point means they're 4 points behind us with a game in hand - to be played against Lane Cove this Saturday. If they fail to get the bonus point in any game from here, all we basically have to do for a top 2 finish in reserves is beat Fairvale in the last round.

Oakhill have Lane Cove (A - catch-up), Fairvale (H), Lane Cove (A), Notre Dame (A)
We have Norwest (H), Roseville (A), Fairvale (H) - I'd only guarantee Roseville at this point, depending on who shows up....

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Bro, you take it to the finals, I reckon the Scarf cheer squad will show up. I'll be there, anyway.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Travel to Rouse Hill to support a prop who may or may not even get a game? See you there.... ::)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Think you will find the finals are played at the Mac Uni fields, they usually are. You can't expect the Old Boys from Div 1 to travel past Parramatta now, can you?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
Think you will find the finals are played at the Mac Uni fields, they usually are. You can't expect the Old Boys from Div 1 to travel past Parramatta now, can you?

:lmao: True. Nice grounds, them. Beats the drive to Rouse Hill anyway- has the technology of the car even reached it out there?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bah! We've got motorways even! Not those pissy little laneways you eastern suburbs poo-pushers mince around on with your gucci manbags and two-boys-to-a-vespa scooters! :)

I heard yesterday via the grapevine that one of the grounds they use for finals may not be available any more - they're not actually sure where the finals for that week will be played.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
Bah! We've got motorways even! Not those pissy little laneways you eastern suburbs poo-pushers mince around on with your gucci manbags and two-boys-to-a-vespa scooters! :)

I heard yesterday via the grapevine that one of the grounds they use for finals may not be available any more - they're not actually sure where the finals for that week will be played.
That little gem of homophobia is bound to garner you more support Nick.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No rugby this weekend... might have to drive over to Lane Cove to see if their Seconds can do us a favour and halt Oakhill in their catch-up game.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
No rugby this weekend... might have to drive over to Lane Cove to see if their Seconds can do us a favour and halt Oakhill in their catch-up game.

Drive ? Is something wrong with your bike ?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Training tonight and thankfully it wasn't quite as cold as the last few nights. I hate exercising in the cold because... well because it sucks, but also my lungs seem to be even more shit than usual at lower temperatures - doctor called it exercise induced asthma. I call it being unfit.

So First Grade are almost unassailable at the top of the ladder (http://www.rugby.net.au/ladder.asp?comp=1778&OrgID=7) and though Harlequins are a mathematical chance of running them down with three games to go, none of the teams we're left to play (Norwest at our place, Roseville at theirs, Fairvale at ours) have come within spitting distance in the fixtures to date. Second Grade have it slightly more difficult:

Oakhill are now tied with us (http://www.rugby.net.au/ladder.asp?comp=1780&OrgID=7) on points but ahead of us on wins - and rightly so in the big scheme because those two extra wins are essentially over us. Now its up to us in these three matches to score the wins with bonus points and give ourselves the best chance of taking the bikkies. If Oakhill get three wins with bonus points in all, then bad luck us - shouldn't have dropped two key games during the year.

So this weekend we expect to see Norwest trot out their little brothers for First Grade and do everything in their power to win Second Grade - a placing in the top two is still a possibility for them if they get past us and Oakhill because I'm pretty sure they'll slap Notre Dame Seconds silly.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Nicko, pull focus man, me and Lindommer are already committed (or should be) for the semi-final. Get the boys in a circle and law down some law.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Don't worry Scarfman - we're fired up for it. Don't be surprised if a few of our Firsts start some games in the next three weeks :) We're going to have open selection come Finals day anyway... 8)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, today Seconds had the wind behind them and still managed to go into the break 15-3 down against Norwest. Lucky not to go in 22-3 down after the ref actually paid attention to our linesman on an obstruction call in the leadup to a try. Then in the second half they just carved up (running into the wind) and ran out 25-15 winners. Weird game that we deserved to lose.

The good news again is that Oakhill lost, putting us 4 points clear in Second Grade with two games to play. If we win our last two we're locked into 2nd spot.

Firsts of course belted Norwest 68-7 after most of their 2nds fronted up for Firsts too. I started second row and moved to prop - not that it mattered shit because all their props had gone to church at that point. Got about 60 minutes all up which was nice - near the end of my stint I also got a head clash with one of our guys while making a tackle, resulting in a slightly wobbly tooth and badly bruised and swollen lip. Bit of blood, no other harm done so far.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It is Canterbury's ground. I have no idea what the nearest pub will be, and its a key issue given the grounds are alcohol-free during games...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
:lmao: Heard on the grapevine today that one of the standout dickheads at Oakhill got banned FOR THE ENTIRE 2009 SEASON. Apparently he king-hit a bloke from Lane Cove and the ref missed it because it was behind play. Oakhill walk into the hearing, figuring they've got nothing to worry about, and see Covies sitting there, realising almost immediately its a club citing not a match official citing. After that it was no contest - rubbed out for a whole season after getting two red cards already this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.