• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby this year? POST HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lay it on us, Nick: where and when are the grand finals? We have a bus to book, after all.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Alright lads, the Grand Finals will be at Norford Park, Sefton - off Woodville Road, turn east onto Rawson Road, then south down Ferndell Street, then left onto Boundary Road. I believe there will be an entry fee of $10 so Subbies can keep funding itself or something. Date will be 6 September. Time for kickoff will be normal for 5th Grade I believe - 2PM for Seconds, 3.15PM for Firsts. I'll confirm that closer to the date.

As to our prospective opponents... I reckon Harlequins will do Lane Cove as they've belted them in all regular fixtures. I'd say Oakhill will get up over Fairvale just because they're well-drilled. Either way, we've got the teams to beat them.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Its on the way to Villawood ! Geez, Regents Park..Berala..South Granville..its more dangerous off the field than on it I reckon !

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Depends who is playing :)

As google maps is broken right now, go to whereis.com.au and type in Boundary Road SEFTON NSW and you'll see Norford park just to the south of it.

B

boarman

Well what a day
We won 32-6 ,very dominating from the kick off,the whole team lifted and we finally played the rugby that we knew we were capable of playing for 80 minutes.
I had a great day kicking conversions and penalties from sideline.Got man of the match so im pretty happy.
The boys partied hard and long and i dont think i got any sleep for 34 hours.
What a great finish to a hard year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Top work there boarman - I trust you had a suitably epic hangover to go with the victory celebrations, none of which you can (or should) remember! :)

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
NTA said:
Well, the Renegades are through to the Grand Final in both grades after wins in the Major Semis today. Seconds won 10-5 over Fairvale - who turned up with every player we'd ever seen from them, proving beyond doubt they dogged their teamsheets. Should have won by more really but a few missing last passes....

First Grade were harried by Sydney Harlequins early, but then turned it on to own minutes 20-70 and run out 32-15 winners. I got on for about 8 minutes - our two starting props were dominating. I missed two tackles (one of which led to a try :() and conceded a penalty. So a fairly shit day for me - those of you who didn't attend missed nothing.

I see that you conveniently left out the fact you won despite two players in the sin bin. Dirty Westies!!!

Nah well done Nick. Enjoy the week off and good luck for the big one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bloody Kiwis - always infringing :) Actually the sad thing is one of our originals will miss the Grand Final as he picked up his third yellow for the year... We've tried to argue it as Subbies rules state that a third yellow means you miss your "next competition match" and as we have open selection (both grades in finals on same days) he could be nominated for both teams. But Subbies have ruled against - its a situation where if it was a red card we could fight it! Ridiculous but that's what you get when you play hard rugby and the ref's priority is safety. It was the last few minutes of the game too....

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, time to start getting serious about this. Me and Lindo are in - we'll come down the mountain and attempt to locate this "Sefton" on the GPS.

Who else is in? And Nicko, what are your chances of playing 1sts or 2nds? What time to arrive at the ground?

C'mon Scarfies. Anyone who was going to watch a school or grade game, or sit at home and watch the TV, come down to Sefton, Australia to cheer on the big fella.

(Or laugh at his fat arse heating the bench). "C'mon coach, give Splinters a run". :lmao:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So the opponents have been decided for the weekend:

Sydney Harlequins won in a scrappy game over Lane Cove in First Grade, but as the 'Quins coach admitted: they're preparing for us, not for Covies, so it was always going to be a bit disjointed with the different styles and so on. The 'Quins forward pack apparently got murdered by Covies at scrum time so their props won't be looking forward to this weekend where they face an even bigger challenge from our lads. Still, they're a good side and will make us work for it.

Oakhill went into the elimination final with one of their props missing due to a red card. Everyone at the Renegades said they'd struggle, completely ignoring the fact that their tight five has been pretty ordinary all year, and that they were never aiming to compete with Fairvale's bruthas up front anyway - they're too cunning for that. They'll play the same game against us as they probably did against Fairvale: kick yourself out of trouble, get field position, take the points on offer, strike only in the red zone, tackle like demons. Hopefully our coach is wise to this and we put our own kicking boots on. They're definitely a far bigger threat than Fairvale but our blokes should have more composure hopefully.

So now we're in the danger zone of not having had more than one serious game in a few weeks, against teams that may have had the stuffing knocked out of them, but may in fact be better for it. Training this week will be interesting.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would come, seriously I would, but it's my birthday on Saturday (41) and there's a family lunch. Unfortunately it was already organised or else I could've opted for the pie and beer lunch at Sefton. Would've thinned out the herd a bit! >:D
Good luck Nick. Scarfy and Lindo - I hope you find it OK.
We want photos of Nick actually doing something - not warming the pine either!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've been listed in the reserves but that means I may make an appearance for either grade! :)

The bad news is the kickoff for Seconds has been moved to 1.10PM, with Firsts at 3PM, to accomodate the presentation ceremonies after each game. This is interestined news for our Seconds as Oakhill have a reasonably fit side and might handle the heat better, though it shouldn't be that much different to a 2PM kickoff I guess.

Training tonight was poorly attended for Grand Final week - we had a patchwork team run with a Seconds skeleton fleshed out by First Grade locks, centres, and flyhalf. Not a good look when you're trying to get your shit together inside 4 days and two training sessions. I was on the opposition and the plan needs a few tweaks from where I'm standing - Oakhill play fast backrowers and good defensive backs, then kick the pill off it. Attacking the 2 channel isn't going to work - it'll be hitting up around the fringes for at least 2-3 phases before releasing the backs, and hoping they can catch better than they did tonight...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Training was good last night despite me missing half of it due to work :angryfire:

Anyways, there are a few injuries to cater for at present after some guys played their RL grand finals last weekend. But I'm sure we can get around it. The forward pack is getting a bit of a reshuffle for Firsts as one of our better second rowers comes back from a broken leg. The basic idea for Firsts is simple: hammer it up front and take the wind out of Harlequins' sails early. They started really well last time but fell away so the general idea is to remove that first 15 minutes...

As for Seconds... well I'm not privy to what they're doing, but with the number of plays they're running that involve attacking at the 2 channel or beyond it will rely on 100% execution to come off against Oakhill's fast flankers. With the rain likely to continue, hopefully heat won't be a factor for Seconds, but it will play into the hands of Oakhill's kicking game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Last call. It's just me and Lindommer at this stage.

Will the Oakhill kicking game play into 'gades hands? How will the rain affect our big forwards?

Can't wait. See you there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For Seconds, I'm going on a primary assumption: wet play increases the chance of dropped ball.

(1) More dropped ball means more scrums - this is good for the Renegades
(2) More dropped ball means more danger from kicks - this is good for Oakhill who have a kicking game superior to ours (IMHO)
(3) Heavy track means shorter kicks which is good for us in light of (2) above
(4) Heavy track means more penalties as the slip-sliding increases - good for Oakhill who can actually kick at goal fairly well.

So if we can hold it in close and just keep punching it up I think we can do the damage. But we don't want to try and hang onto the ball for long periods. Get inside 40m then start stabbing kicks through would be my plan, in addition to targetting their flankers early on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And I see we got a mention from Growden in R&M this week... I feel unclean...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...t-until-the-end/2008/09/04/1220121430668.html

Across Sydney tomorrow, 15 NSW Suburban grand finals will be contested. It will be an enormous day for Sydney's oldest subbies club, Petersham, which in its 125th year will be involved in all four grades in the third-division grand finals. The Rouse Hill Renegades are also on fire, having not lost a first-grade game since joining subbies two years ago. And King's Old Boys are feeling good about themselves by winning the division two club championship, which puts them back in the Kentwell Cup next year for the first time since 1978.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I had a bit of a chuckle at that. Obviously your letter writing campaign has paid dividends.

F

formeropenside

NTA: I cant make it I am afraid, but best of luck. Its a shame that we can't put your ticker into the NSW front row (and Lee Grant's rugby brain into Giteau, together with various other body parts from Scarfies to those Wallabies that need them).

I hope you get to play in two victorious teams, and score the try that puts victory beyond doubt with a pick and go off the back of a ruck following a tight head scrum win.

Status
Not open for further replies.