• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby this year? POST HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Hard luck Nick on not getting onto the ground on the big day. Been there before and know how you must feel. Good luck getting a dirties team together next year so your club can be promoted to 4th Division.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah well we've been 5th Div Club Champions two years in a row now so maybe that's the next step...

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought it was pretty much an automatic promotion relegation and only in exceptional circumstances do you not go up or down if you finish first or last.

Often though it is better for teams to finish 2nd and have another year of development/recruitment before moving up as teams that move up too early invariably fall back down straight away. I am worried that my club will be moving up a year too early next year but hopefully a strong recruitment drive will ensure we are competitive. Having the fattest and slowest back in subbies returning from 2 years overseas will surely help. :-\

Nick - With so few teams in 4th division I would have thought Subbies would be putting the pressure on you to move up. Do you think you have the numbers to get a 3rd grade team?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Automatic promotion and relegation exists for Divisions 1 and 2, and promotion from Division 3. Anything lower than that and you have to show due cause why you should be promoted or should not be relegated.

Subbies will probably be keen to see us try to move up, given that Chatswood and St George are struggling to put out Third Grade sides in what is already a 7-club 4th Division. Heck I'll play two games if that is what it takes.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Played my first game of my last season yesterday, against a handy Dolphin side.

Couple of observations; firstly, the refs here are on a crusade against hands in the ruck, from either side. It means life is not fun for slow scrummies, as they get twatted. It also means that the guy in the pocket at the ruck now has to counter-ruck all the time. It works to get faster ball, but it does take time to get used to again. Come the EOYTs, that could be a big factor.

Secondly, getting rid of the maul is cock, pure and simple. At one stage yesterday, one of our centres got tackled, stayed strong in the tackle, we hammered into him and punched it twenty-five metres before they could react. Which reaction was, of course, to chop it, and kill the ball. And they got the scrum. That, folks, is rewarding negative play and is utter, total balls. Also, because the fatties weren't tied in, there was vastly less room out wide for the backs.

Thirdly we twatted them; even though I was unfit as fuck, still got into the rhythm, played reasonably well, made a couple of steals, cleared out nicely especially in the second half, and got complimented on it. Scrummaged well, and was happy with the fact that I could get a right shoulder for our eight to score two tries pretty much at will.

Fourthly, the ground here is as wet as you'd expect in February. We have probably the best-drained pitch in Munster, and at this stage of the year, it's usually like rock. If it's like this, then come the winter, the pitches all over Ireland are going to be quagmires. Again, it'll affect the EOYTs.

Of course, with ten minutes to go, I got hit from the side while cleaning out, studs dug in, and my knee went "pop-pop" on each side, and I dropped screaming. Medial ligaments, I'm told by the Dolphin prop who turned out to be a physio. Currently have full flexion and extension, and it's stable, so hoping it's just a sprain, but hurt like buggery. Endorphins are wonderful, let it be noted.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Broer dont tell me you were practising while on holiday. :eek:

My oldest one want now to play rugby again when he hits Pomland. Always thought he'll be a excellent rugby player because he had a real rugby heart from young age. Always picked the biggest kid and start a fight or something as the game went along from young age. Think it will be a good thing , just have to find him a club in London.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
He wont have any trouble finding one Thomo. Hundreds of them around the place.

I also played on Saturday for the first time this year, and it hurts just typing this.

My team has a strict no training policy so it was always going to be a tough day. We were up against London Welsh, whose first grade team has just gone professional this year and who had 29 players to call on using rolling subs. Comparatively we turned up with the bare 15 players and as a result I had to play out of position in the backrow.

So despite putting it to them for the first half (15-12), the fact most of their players had already played two games this season (thus had some fitness) and that they had plenty of numbers to call on they ran away with the game in the 2nd half.

As for the introduction of ELV's, at this level I would say they make very very little difference.

So despite the loss it was great to catch up with all the boys and in a kinda sadistic way it feels good to be limping around the office with a a black eye and cut lip. I can also confirm that chicks dig scars as I had more attention on Saturday night than I have for the past six months combined. But despite this attention I got home to my lovely girlfriend at 4am with nothing more than a 20 pack of McDonalds nuggets. Oh how I love the rugby season.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thomond78 said:
Of course, with ten minutes to go, I got hit from the side while cleaning out, studs dug in, and my knee went "pop-pop" on each side, and I dropped screaming. Medial ligaments, I'm told by the Dolphin prop who turned out to be a physio. Currently have full flexion and extension, and it's stable, so hoping it's just a sprain, but hurt like buggery. Endorphins are wonderful, let it be noted.

Good luck with the knee.

I was told by the medical profession this morning that I have an old man's knee. I have been holding out for improved procedures with a view to someone inventing a miracle cure but it isnt happening fast enough and I am going to have to go under the knife (again, again, again).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
He wont have any trouble finding one Thomo. Hundreds of them around the place.
Gambler you mean PB?

the gambler said:
So despite the loss it was great to catch up with all the boys and in a kinda sadistic way it feels good to be limping around the office with a a black eye and cut lip. I can also confirm that chicks dig scars as I had more attention on Saturday night than I have for the past six months combined. But despite this attention I got home to my lovely girlfriend at 4am with nothing more than a 20 pack of McDonalds nuggets. Oh how I love the rugby season.
Gambler where are you playing Broer?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the gambler said:
As for the introduction of ELV's, at this level I would say they make very very little difference.

You da man g! And I've often thought the same about the ELVs - everyone was whining over at TSF about how the amateurs would keep up with all these tap-kicks and whatnot, but everyone plays at their own level so its still going to be fat old props like me up against fat old props on the other side.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
NTA said:
the gambler said:

You da man g! And I've often thought the same about the ELVs - everyone was whining over at TSF about how the amateurs would keep up with all these tap-kicks and whatnot, but everyone plays at their own level so its still going to be fat old props like me up against fat old props on the other side.

Different ELV, Nick. The free-kick one isn't being trialled world-wide; in fact, as of February next, it won't be used anywhere. It's still penalties here.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Sorry, yeah I meant PB obviously.

Thomo - I think Nick was making a general statement. Even if the free kick law was introduced it would still be fat unfit blokes against fat unfit blokes and it would hardly ruin the amateur game.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Not in terms of being too fast, agreed; I never bought into that one.

But what the maul law has definitely done is made it scrappy and slower. Unfit but old forwards like myself can kill ball all day, and will. We know how to do it, and and we will do it if left at it. With no rucking, adding in one more way to kill the ball just slows it down even further. When we can bring down mauls, and then spread out to clog the midfield on slow, wet pitches, it ain't going to be a good year to be a back.

The maul law is a disaster, to be honest. Having played under it, everyone in the dressing room agreed it was balls. Still, we're stuck with it for this season at least. :-\

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thomond78 said:
The maul law is a disaster, to be honest. Having played under it, everyone in the dressing room agreed it was balls. Still, we're stuck with it for this season at least. :-\

Probably worthwhile testing a bigger sample before deciding Thomo...unless of course you decided before testing it at all.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Cutter said:
Thomond78 said:

Probably worthwhile testing a bigger sample before deciding Thomo...unless of course you decided before testing it at all.

Being honest, Cutter, that one where we pumped it quarter of the pitch, only to see it chopped and the scrum given to the oppo did it for me. It rewards negativity. I remember something similar under the old "use it or lose it" one about fifteen, nearly twenty years ago, and that turned me against that one. Which, thankfully, went. I hope this one will too.

Turns out the knee is badly swollen with bursitis of glorious proportions, but orthopaedically okay. Should be back, touching wood, in a month. :praying:

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thomo that maul may have brought it to the forefront of your mind, but I suspect there is evidence in some of your previous posts that you had already formed a pretty strong view on the maul law. I am not arguing that its the right or wrong view, I just want you to concede you may have been slightly predisposed towards the negative.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:
Thomo that maul may have brought it to the forefront of your mind, but I suspect there is evidence in some of your previous posts that you had already formed a pretty strong view on the maul law. I am not arguing that its the right or wrong view, I just want you to concede you may have been slightly predisposed towards the negative.

How about we get the game's administrators to concede that its a stupid fucking law that needs to be boned ?

F

formeropenside

naza said:
Cutter said:

How about we get the game's administrators to concede that its a stupid fucking law that needs to be boned ?

And bring back rucking. Make the ruck a real contest for possession again. Stupid laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.