• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby this year? POST HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No worries fos - and might I just say if we put my ticker into the Tahs front row it would stumble about, exhausted, after 5 minutes ;) But I do look forward to scoring that try... from 90 metres out :lmao:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Christ on a bike, it's raining hard.

Does this "Sefton" have anywhere undercover? Fucked if I'm going to stand in the rain for 3 hours like a loyal girlfriend. Ideally, you start in 2nds, score a try in the first minute, then go off injured so I can go to the pub.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
I had a bit of a chuckle at that. Obviously your letter writing campaign has paid dividends.
Did you draw a picture for the Pieman, Nick? Or did you wrap the letter around a lamington?
BTW - good luck, mate.
I will be there in spirit; well actually a good pinot noir over lunch actually I hope! I'd still take the pie and a beer though! Go the 90m, put Greg Holmes to shame! Err, can you actually run 90m...in 1 go?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scarfy - I'm quite sure there is shelter on at least one of the ovals... it might be the one that 4th Division are playing on, so bring your binoculars. :)

cyclopath said:
Did you draw a picture for the Pieman, Nick? Or did you wrap the letter around a lamington?

I promised him naza's butt virginity...

Go the 90m, put Greg Holmes to shame! Err, can you actually run 90m...in 1 go?

:nta: Define "run"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, First Grade finally lost a game - 8-7 - to Harlequins today after 39 on the trot. The 'Quins were definitely up for it and we suffered a few crucial injuries early on, combined with the conditions and (to a significant degree) the ref we went down 8-0 after 30 minutes and never got it back. I didn't get on and I'm sure Lindommer or Scarfman will be along shortly with photos of my fat arse on the bench :) I never expected to get on either unless we were up by 20 with 3 minutes to go. In those conditions it was never going to happen, though a win was never far away. Jeez the 'Quins boys showed some committment too!

Second Grade went down as I expected to a far smarter Oakhill team - 16-7. We got in front 7-5 at one point but never clawed it back. I also sat on the bench for this game but never really expected to get on ahead of the 2 starting props and 2 reserve props. I wasn't the only one and several guys at the postmatch drinks are also quite hacked off at the moment though I've consoled them with the knowledge that I'll be there for them next year if they want to start a Third Grade with the other discard white boys :) It's not the losses that hurt - its the fact we weren't considered good enough to make a difference, despite the time and effort we committed to the cause.

Second Grade have now made the grand final two years running after beating the minor premiers in the Major Semi. In both cases they've never looked like they'll finish it off. In both years its the same pattern too: guys like me keeps things running for the whole year (win or lose) and then when finals time comes around, people start making appearances at games and never at training and getting the nod.

So that was a fun season and I sort of achieved my goal of becoming a starting second grade prop - I played a total of 18 times (1 game was against our Second Grade when Roseville didn't show up), 7 times as starting prop (3 for Firsts), 7 as bench prop (4 for Firsts). We're still the club champions and may look to add a Third Grade to proceedings if things go well during pre-season signup. But shit we're short of backs so that may hold us back.

My aim next year will be to move to hooker - another position we're a little short on - after spending some time over summer losing some weight. I'll still play prop if we need it of course.

The moral of the story is: don't give them any reason to drop you.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And as a result of the season being over, I am un-stickying this thread so it may disappear into the ether! :)

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Bad luck Nicko.

I have been fortunate enough to never lose a grand final, so I cant imagine how it would feel to be involved in two and lose both and not even got on to try and help the cause.

But :thumb for sticking it out all season and enjoy the off season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thanks mate. With the sun beaming down on this glorious Father's Day I look forward to not thinking about it for a while :)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
GIVE SPLINTERS A RUN!!

Attachments

• bench.JPG
    bench.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 370

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Seriously, that was hard yakka. I could've bitten my own toes off by the end they were so numb. I think I might have been suffering exposure. It didn't stop raining for one second.

But me and Lindommer (who has another pic of us, I think) sank a few and had a good time anyway. It would have been nice to see the big fella get some game time, though. I reckon there's something wrong with a side that doesn't put on any replacement forwards when the blokes on there are struggling. Renegades were bigger than the opposition but they weren't smarter. (E.g., the 10 who sinks a few before the game to take the pain of his ankle away? Hasn't he heard of ibuprofin?)

But thanks for the updates all year, Nicko. Maybe go play for the Batemans Bay Boars next year?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bit far to drive! :) Nice photo - that's Scarfy in the red at right of picture, and me smiling into the lens on the bench. Our club secretary (between aforementioned) is looking grim due to the early performance of the referee lacking promise.

And that is our flyhalf's regular pre-game I might add. Just that he could barely walk getting on the bus after he blew ankle playing league last weekend. He might have had one extra to take the edge off the pain.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bad luck for you Nick, but kudos for putting in the effort all season. Sounds like the bench could have been utilised a bit better. As the rain came down yesterday, I spared a thought for you, Scarfy and Lindo out in it as I enjoyed my seafood pasta!

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA looking rather slim. He'll be playing in the backs next ! Scarfie an uncanny resemblance to Greg Growden ! ;D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And that jersey I had on, I wore all day as I sat on both benches and froze my arse off - appropriately it has the number 25 on the back! :lmao:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
naza said:
NTA looking rather slim. He'll be playing in the backs next ! Scarfie an uncanny resemblance to Greg Growden ! ;D

My secret identity has been unmasked!

Can't comment on the pies at Sefton - Lindommer had one, though. The steak sandwich was a little tough and tasteless. Poor show.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sausage rolls were on the peppery side but I hadn't eaten in a few hours so they tasted alright to me. Bad day to prep hot food - the facilites there could use an overhaul as well as the playing area: one tackle got our halfback onto the concrete at halfway!

B

boarman

Bad luck on losing grand final ,it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

We still on lookout for new players down here at the Boars if you know of anyone.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfie picked me up on Saturday in the beautiful Blue Mountains before we descended into the bowels of Sefton. "Greater love hath no man than he support his fellow rugby player on a pissing down wet day." It was dreadful: the 'gades lost both grades, no thanks to their thick coaches not giving the champion prop a run. And the ground, mud up to my knees in the cold rain! I'm still shivering. My wife is using the extra dirt brought back to our house to landscape the front garden; she's putting in terraces there's so much of it.

Spose things can't be too bad when you're have a pie and beer with your mates at the rugby.

Here's a shot of the Three Musketeers. I'm the one wearing the yellow scarf, Scarfie forgot to pack his. :huxley :huxley :huxley
Check the mud below my right elbow.

Attachments

• IMG_0806_1_3_1.jpg
    IMG_0806_1_3_1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 336
Status
Not open for further replies.