• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

From twitter:

Nick Phipps has been given a warning for acts contrary to good sportsmanship

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So how about:
1. Slipper
2. Moore (sigh)
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Houston

I acknowledge how this would stress our already stressed line-out but! Against the AB's losing the collisions and letting them get a roll on almost always leads to a try. With that in mind i'd also put in a defensive 12.

10. Cooper
11. DHP
12. Hodge
13. Kerevi
14. Naivalu
15. Folau

I think one of 6 or 8 needs to be a pretty good lineout option. Are either of those? That might be an issue.

T

Train Without a Station

Houston is probably our best LO option of our 8s in fairness.

If you wanted to build your pack around the line out your back 5 would probably be something like:

4. Simmons
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. McMahon
8. Houston

That would give you 5 good options where at least 4 are capable of stealing opposition ball.

I'm not advocating this as I would still select Hooper even if McMahon was fit and I'd retain Timani.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Cyclo - and that may be a problem. But both Timani & Houston are legitimate jumpers. Just not sure if they are good enough to make our lineout a force at test level.

My other concern is if they are both too similiar in playing style.

But gee it would be nice to see a couple of blokes in our pack that could have some real physical presence.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree Cyclo - and that may be a problem. But both Timani & Houston are legitimate jumpers. Just not sure if they are good enough to make our lineout a force at test level.

My other concern is if they are both too similiar in playing style.

But gee it would be nice to see a couple of blokes in our pack that could have some real physical presence.

I don't think there is anyone in Australian rugby that is capable of making an appreciable difference to our line-out. They can bring some physicality and make a difference at the breakdown, however.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I liked what I saw from Timani, wasn't exactly the bulldozing runner we want but he sure was psychical, which is something lacking from most of our forwards.

I'd like to see him persisted with, he has height for the line-out too so hopefully that skill can be developed. Probably see his long-term option at 6 though, if his hand are an issue.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think there is anyone in Australian rugby that is capable of making an appreciable difference to our line-out. They can bring some physicality and make a difference at the breakdown, however.
I dunno. Now that the Pooper is ended with, the failings of our lineout deal come down to skill execution. Coleman & Arnold are our tallest combo ever I think (yes - I know height isn't the only factor, but it helps) & Douglas & Simmons are both tall enough, as are Mumm & Fardy. Timani & Houston are both tall enough to be a fourth option. Playing them together may be an issue, but either/or they should be fine.

I don't expect massive improvement between now and the next Bledisloe, but I certainly don't see why we can't significantly improve our lineout over the remainder of this year. Hell - just for fun I'd like to see us go back to aggressively targeting the opposition ball on a regular basis.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't expect massive improvement between now and the next Bledisloe, but I certainly don't see why we can't significantly improve our lineout over the remainder of this year. Hell - just for fun I'd like to see us go back to aggressively targeting the opposition ball on a regular basis.

Now lets not go overboard - we might end up looking like the NZ lineout if we did.

Reactions: TSR

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure why anyone is down on Phipps for nudging that medic. Get the fuck out of the way you prick. @Gagger put up a tweet about a medic (same guy?) right in the action after a try was scored.

Throw in this shit along with the diving and other rubbish from the Argies, and anyone criticising the Wallabies can, quite frankly, get fucked.

The "medic" should have been ejected from the ground. I don't care if it was time off. Ball is NOT YOUR JOB, HOMBRE!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm pretty sure hitting a medic in the back isn't in Phipps job description either.

It was moronic play. Our discipline is shit and we don't need stupidity like that.

If that opinion makes you want to tell me to get fucked ..... well, honestly I'm not losing sleep over it.

G

galumay

I'm not sure why anyone is down on Phipps for nudging that medic.

Because it was unnecessary, poor sportsmanship and cost the Wallabies a penalty.

Ball was dead, landed near the medic and Phipps had an utter brain explosion in knocking him away.

More than anything else its just a really bad look for the game, and for a side that has the worst discipline record of the RC its just reinforcing the view that the Wallabies have a poor attitude

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm not sure why anyone is down on Phipps for nudging that medic. Get the fuck out of the way you prick. @Gagger put up a tweet about a medic (same guy?) right in the action after a try was scored.

Throw in this shit along with the diving and other rubbish from the Argies, and anyone criticising the Wallabies can, quite frankly, get fucked.

The "medic" should have been ejected from the ground. I don't care if it was time off. Ball is NOT YOUR JOB, HOMBRE!
Both were in the wrong. Phipps could have been carded by the french ref, given the refs form.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep. Both WERE in the wrong.

Where is the warning from World Rugby to the Argentinian team management? What about they get their OWN warning or sanction for 10.4(m)?

Fuck this shits me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And, before we get to indignant about the actions of the Argentinian medic - it wasn't that long ago that Grey tried to grab the football to prevent a quick lineout by England.

Grey - standing well within the marked area for team officials - you mean?

You don't have a problem with Wallabies discipline. You have a problem with NSW.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Grey - standing well within the marked area for team officials - you mean?

You don't have a problem with Wallabies discipline. You have a problem with NSW.
That's complete bullshit. I've defended Phipps plenty of times when I've felt people have criticised him unfairly. Also Hooper for the record. And I like Nathan Grey - but regardless of where he was, what he did was contrary to the spirit of the game.
It is notable that for all the shit you throw about interstate bias, you are almost always the one who brings it into the argument first. Quite often with no foundation.
For what it's worth I agree with your comment above that World rugby should be sanctioning the Argentinian side and the individual involved.
But don't bring your interstate bullshit in every time you get the shits in an argument. It makes you seem like a petulant child.

Status
Not open for further replies.