• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
No 13 for Norths Rhett Webster is an obvious candidate, big, strong, fst however his fitness levels are not u to scratch for u19 selection. A real smokey could be the 7 Christian Fillipane (?? not quiet sure of spelling) who has been outstanding the last few weeks, however I am guessing there is probably plenty of good 7's out there.

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
Uni had too many guns for Wests. Wests had a few big boys that ran straight and hard and scored a good try using the big fellas for numerous pick and goes early in the game, and the number 6 never gave up all game. Uni had too much pace out wide with Banks and co running rout in the second half. Also thought the 3 second rowers for Uni worked hard in the tight and loose and all had good games (Korcyzk, Walls and then Pottgeiter in last 20 mins)

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Uni had too many guns for Wests. Wests had a few big boys that ran straight and hard and scored a good try using the big fellas for numerous pick and goes early in the game, and the number 6 never gave up all game. Uni had too much pace out wide with Banks and co running rout in the second half. Also thought the 3 second rowers for Uni worked hard in the tight and loose and all had good games (Korcyzk, Walls and then Pottgeiter in last 20 mins)

Can you see Norths giving Uni any trouble this weekend, or a fairly convincing win for Uni on the cards?

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
Can you see Norths giving Uni any trouble this weekend, or a fairly convincing win for Uni on the cards?

With the rain that is predicted, it will come done to a forwards battle, and Norths are a really improved outfit since the start of the season. IMO it will be close if it is wet. Not sure if Scott Gale is back this weekend, if so that will greatly assist Uni controlling which end of the field they play at (last time Uni v Norths it starting raining half way through the game and Uni didnt adapt very well - kept trying to run it out of trouble and spilling the ball, and Norths scored 2 or 3 quick tries through the forwards). Should be interesting.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
I have to say on the comments re Sam Green, while this young man is certainly a gifted player he still has lots to learn and is a bit suspect in defence, I watched him get rolled a few times in the Uni match when he should have been able to stop the attack. But I am not too critical of this as he makes up for his shortcomings with his super boot and his goal kicking. He also needs to work on his passing if he is to be a super rugby player of the future. At times Sam has been afflicted by slow ball from Nigel genia with his penguin stance at the ruck this has led to Sam having to stand too deep on occasion which limits his attacking ability, I have no doubt that he will be a better player next year.

I did see a good prospect in the front row in reserve grade. Prems colt "James Stewart" at tight head, although he struggled a bit (because the LH was not that great) he did a fine job and will be better for it next year.

Another bloke to do well was the Captain from Prem Colts who played up out of position at inside centre for over half a game. This young man has played out of position all over the backline to fill holes for Prem Colts all season he is a halfback but because of his superior defense he has been asked to play out of position all season , he should do well next season in opens

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Does any know why James Stewart is playing reserve grade for Wests instead of Colts? I assume they see him as having potential & playing in a bottom of the barrel team won't further his development. Wests Colts are in a very bad place & doesn't look like changing anytime soon!

Also, when does the QLD u19 training squad get announced? It appears as though there have been a few league boys return to union in the last fortnight in time to qualify for finals.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Any reports/ thoughts on yesterday's games?

Uni look to be building strongly at the business end of the season. Depth is their greatest asset & has served them well given the number of players who have been injured/ playing Prem's.

Easts season is all but over - another year without a finals appearance for prem colts.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any reports/ thoughts on yesterday's games?

Uni look to be building strongly at the business end of the season. Depth is their greatest asset & has served them well given the number of players who have been injured/ playing Prem's.
s

Easts season is all but over - another year without a finals appearance for prem colts.

I think Uni will be the team to beat going into the last couple of games and finals, getting back to just about full strength and it showed with them out classing Norths yesterday. To their credit Norths dug deep and showed some real fight despite the scoreline, but uni were just too good and made Norths pay everytime they made a mistake. The likes of Pleash, Korczyk, Cornelsen, potgeiter, gale, dalgleish and banks will give a lot of teams headaches in the coming week

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
I think Uni will be the team to beat going into the last couple of games and finals, getting back to just about full strength and it showed with them out classing Norths yesterday. To their credit Norths dug deep and showed some real fight despite the scoreline, but uni were just too good and made Norths pay everytime they made a mistake. The likes of Pleash, Korczyk, Cornelsen, potgeiter, gale, dalgleish and banks will give a lot of teams headaches in the coming week
. I thought it was the most complete team performance all season from Uni, the names you mentioned all played well but I think more importantly their presence lifted the performance of the rest of team to the point that it was hard to pick a weakness. In saying that the injury to the speedster Gareth Kalell didn't look good. I thought Norths did really well at contesting the kick offs and seem to pinpoint Potgieter, who needs to develop his game in that area.
A good win by GPS over Souths on the weekend and the Breakers and Brothers roll on towards the semis. Last round of Brothers v Uni will be a cracker if they have all players available to choose from.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
. I thought it was the most complete team performance all season from Uni, the names you mentioned all played well but I think more importantly their presence lifted the performance of the rest of team to the point that it was hard to pick a weakness. In saying that the injury to the speedster Gareth Kalell didn't look good. I thought Norths did really well at contesting the kick offs and seem to pinpoint Potgieter, who needs to develop his game in that area.
A good win by GPS over Souths on the weekend and the Breakers and Brothers roll on towards the semis. Last round of Brothers v Uni will be a cracker if they have all players available to choose from.

Was surprised to see GPS knock off Souths. I heard Souths had a number of injuries early in the game which disrupted them. Can anyone confirm? Any other feedback on this game?

Horseman

Frank Row (1)
I thought it was the most complete team performance all season from Uni, the names you mentioned all played well but I think more importantly their presence lifted the performance of the rest of team to the point that it was hard to pick a weakness. In saying that the injury to the speedster Gareth Kalell didn't look good. I thought Norths did really well at contesting the kick offs and seem to pinpoint Potgieter, who needs to develop his game in that area.

I thought Gareth was close to best on park, fast, good feet, but most impressed with his defense and general positioning, heres hoping the injury isn't too serious. Banks was also a real handful and Dalgleish's general kicking was a telling point I think especially while Norths were really trying hard to hang in there. I thought Terrin was good for uni in the forwards, cant say I saw any weaknesses in the Uni restarts? Pleash also had immediate impact off the bench.

I don't know too many in the Norths side unfortunately so hard to comment, look to be a quite a large side across the park and i think it was their 7 that really stood out with a big motor and effective at the break down. They looked to have the ability to really hold runners up in the collision and attack the ball, especially capitalising on the ball carrier coming in too high. Webster looked strong in defence but the backline just didn't seem to click in attack, conditions obviously made it difficult. He ran a great line in the 2nd half that was unfortunately called back for a forward pass. One of their wingers did a few good things in defense and attack too from memory.

PowerPlayPaul

Frank Row (1)
I think Sam has played well enough with what's in front of him. He is certainly the best flyhalf at Wests & in fact is the most exciting #10 prospect we've had at the Kennel since our 2006 premiership. As an 18 year old the World is his oyster & I believe he will be a better player for this baptism of fire in premier grade as opposed to the minutes he would of logged had he played COLTS all year.

I have expressed my love for the way this lad plays the game on a number of occasions. Some of the best ball skills I have seen at any level of the game, he is an absolute magician. He has been a gutsy performer all year in all areas of the game. I think it is fairly safe to say Sam Greene is better than any other u19 10, and he should be due for some representative recognition - especially after an uninspiring campaign from Jake McIntyre in France.

And to that Donny Delusional who thinks that colts is on par with prem grade -- I think you ought to actually watch a premier grade game before making ridiculous accusations like that, colts is exactly the same as schoolboy rugby except without some of the 'superstars' who are either playing prem grade or rugby league... I don't say this to devalue the competition but the 2 are pretty incomparable.

Gunn from Easts is another name to look out for in the future, he has the physicality of a top flight player. Banks, Kalell and Cornelson from Uni all look like great players aswell.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have expressed my love for the way this lad plays the game on a number of occasions. Some of the best ball skills I have seen at any level of the game, he is an absolute magician. He has been a gutsy performer all year in all areas of the game. I think it is fairly safe to say Sam Greene is better than any other u19 10, and he should be due for some representative recognition - especially after an uninspiring campaign from Jake McIntyre in France.

And to that Donny Delusional who thinks that colts is on par with prem grade -- I think you ought to actually watch a premier grade game before making ridiculous accusations like that, colts is exactly the same as schoolboy rugby except without some of the 'superstars' who are either playing prem grade or rugby league. I don't say this to devalue the competition but the 2 are pretty incomparable.

Gunn from Easts is another name to look out for in the future, he has the physicality of a top flight player. Banks, Kalell and Cornelson from Uni all look like great players aswell.

I agree with most of what you've said, however, I still think Pat James from Brothers is as good or even better, he just hasn't received anywhere near the attention compared to the Wests bloke. But most importantly it's great to see younger players getting a run in top grade.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Only 3 games before finals, does anyone know when the qld 19s training squad starts? And anyone want to pick one based on what they've seen since the last couple of weeks?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
The battle between the Uni & Brothers packs in the last round should be interesting...

Both powerful with good height.

Any predictions?

jimmyboulevard

Bob McCowan (2)
Uni v Souths this weekend will also be a good battle upfront in the piggies. Uni got caught out the last time the teams played by some very abrasive and hard running forwards. It won't be an easy day for uni, more so if crookes plays for colts and not grades this week

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni v Souths this weekend will also be a good battle upfront in the piggies. Uni got caught out the last time the teams played by some very abrasive and hard running forwards. It won't be an easy day for uni, more so if crookes plays for colts and not grades this week
Will be a cracker of a game. Uni should be bolsted by the inclusion of Korczky, Cornelson, Pleash, Banks and maybe Kallel (injury update?) compared to when the teams met last.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Will be a cracker of a game. Uni should be bolsted by the inclusion of Korczky, Cornelson, Pleash, Banks and maybe Kallel (injury update?) compared to when the teams met last.

Souths backline should also be boosted by the inclusion of Evalu & Sefton based on recent weeks. Both have spent considerable time in Prem's throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.