• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I watched a pretty competitive game between Norths and Souths on the weekend. Final score was about 4 tries to 2 to Souths (not 100% sure). Norths competed really well all day although you always suspected it was only a matter of time for Souths to blow the game apart however to Norths credit they couldn't achieve this. No standout players from Norths however really consistent performance across the park and as long as they don't suffer injuries to key players they should compete quite well against most sides. Souths look to have a number of class players and suspect they will be still playing deep into the finals. No idea of the names however No 3, 5 and 11 looked particularly good.

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
Was down at the kennel on saturday watching the colts matches. The colts 1 team at wests appeared to be alot better than the prem colts. the colts 1 result was a draw at 25 apiece (no conversions due to being a trial). Unsure of the score in prem colts but it was alot to not alot, in favour of easts. there were no real stand outs for the prem colts although the 12, morgan gassman? was playing well until recieving a red card due to a spear tackle. Apparently there are a couple of injuries for some prem colts boys. The colts 1 standouts were the flyhalf; great kicking gme and threw some ripper balls (I believe he is better than the prem colts flyhalf), the outside centre had a killer fend and hit with much force and the fullback is the worst defender i have ever watched play this great game of union in my life. for the forwards the big fella no.8 went well with some big hits and hard runs and some fella who came off the bench just before half time turned some heads until running out of steam and going and grabbing a beer rather than benching for prem colts. what a bloke!

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
I think his knee has been giving him a fair bit of grief.

You can back me up on this thread cant ya Hairy Test Eagle. one of the in form no.8's at wests, Hairy Test Eagle boasts a great physique and rugby ability, although having an infection of some wort that has him sitting on the sidelines.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS have struggled a fair bit during the trial period. Even without the likes of Sikameti, Tuttle, Magnay and Aitsi there are still plenty of quality players in the side but they havent been able to string together a consistent performance.

The lack of forwards down at the club seems to be a problem. Apparently there are 80-90 colts players and they are looking to form another team but only enough forwards for prem colts, colts 1 and colts 2 and even then colts 2 have struggled to get a contested scrum on the field for the trials. You can imagine the headaches this is creating when they've got something like 7 halfbacks but only 6 second rowers.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Apparently there was a few bemused looks on Saturday from the uni coaching staff when brothers started singing the team song as they (and a few others from the crowd) were of the opinion the game ended in a 12 all draw. I didn't see the game so have no idea what the score was, not that it matters being a trial and all.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Haha, doesn't surprise me. I was of the opinion that Brothers did win though. As you said however, it is only a trial.

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently there was a few bemused looks on Saturday from the uni coaching staff when brothers started singing the team song as they (and a few others from the crowd) were of the opinion the game ended in a 12 all draw. I didn't see the game so have no idea what the score was, not that it matters being a trial and all.
Apparently there was a few bemused looks from the ref when she had to blow the whistle multipl times to get brothers on to the field for both kickoffs.
Also from everyone within eyeshot when the brothers touchie disallowed unis first try in the corner when the winger was nowhere bear the sideline.
Also fro uni players whe the brothers supporters started heckling the uni fullback and winger with personal stuff from behind the dead all line.
Very poor

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wouldn't be surprised if clubs have had a little chat about GPS colts numbers. Apparently Colts 2 against Logan on the weekend were only allowed to play 8 reserves (total 23 players) despite having over a total of 13 players on the bench which is a bit of a shame. Those are the competition rules but thought it was a bit of an unwritten rule that the lowest grade don't really apply them, after all we should be promoting these guys to actually play the game and get a run (its only colts 2 not the Reds), not pay fees, train all week and have to sit out because a club has done a good job with recruiting.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Big Dog how many reserves did Logan Colts 2 have? Could this be a case of a referee using the competition rules to try to ensure a more even contest?

I know that another unwritten rule (in the women's comp especially) is that teams number up so there isn't a massive advantage held by one team. It's unfortunately been fairly common in the women's comp to have 13 players on one team and the team with 15 players drops a couple of positions.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wasn't at the game so can't give first hand comment but apparently they had a few replacements, sounds like they weren't short handed.

Not trying to have a go at Logan either, the rules are the rules. I just hope it doesn't become a weekly thing as I feel for the boys who've committed their time to the club despite knowing they'd probably get more time elsewhere due to the numbers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't be surprised if clubs have had a little chat about GPS colts numbers. Apparently Colts 2 against Logan on the weekend were only allowed to play 8 reserves (total 23 players) despite having over a total of 13 players on the bench which is a bit of a shame. Those are the competition rules but thought it was a bit of an unwritten rule that the lowest grade don't really apply them, after all we should be promoting these guys to actually play the game and get a run (its only colts 2 not the Reds), not pay fees, train all week and have to sit out because a club has done a good job with recruiting.

That is a shame bigdog.

even though a positive outcome of that is some of those colts might get the shits with GPS & go to wests for an opportunity.

I still think it's an unwritten law that maximum substitutes in lowest grades because you're stuck between a rock & a hard place... another team where you struggle with numbers (bench of 13 = 2 short of a team) or just colts 2 with a big bench.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big Dog how many reserves did Logan Colts 2 have? Could this be a case of a referee using the competition rules to try to ensure a more even contest?

I know that another unwritten rule (in the women's comp especially) is that teams number up so there isn't a massive advantage held by one team. It's unfortunately been fairly common in the women's comp to have 13 players on one team and the team with 15 players drops a couple of positions.
Guys Logan now have a squad of 22 and still slowly growing and while we only had four reserves they still beat GPS on merit. While there was a fair few reserves I do hope as mentioned from a good friend from GPS that they may have a second colts 2 side in the pipeline you'd hope with 100 odd colts they can make it happen so these kids all get to play rugby.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Heavens game - in no way would I take anything way from Logan. Im sure the outcome of the game would have been the same. Just hope GPS can sort something out for the boys.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Heavens game - in no way would I take anything way from Logan. Im sure the outcome of the game would have been the same. Just hope GPS can sort something out for the boys.
Totally agree with you mate , hopefully they can fill any vacant spots if any as in this grade it's all about participation I believe , was daunting seeing almost two team rock up though lol. Was good to give to my mate about driving here for nothing but sure it will probably be a favoured returned when we travel there in round 2. Glad footy is finally underway , good luck all as I believe we have an abundance of talent in this city no matter what colt grade is playing

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which colts division is this, Heavens game? Did Logan win and do you think they'll be competitive?
Colts 2 Filth , beating GPS 19-17. To be honest I was surprised with some of the players we have. I do believe we will be competitive and the buzz around the club with there first up win has prompted the on the fencers to get on the ride so numbers won't be issue but maybe depth of player quality maybe the ? But we have a great program in place to develop these kids to progress up the colts grades. With brothers next I'm sure we will be truly tested again but better now than never. Just great for Logan to see colts back up underway. Small steps lead to giant leaps for mankind

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think it's due to Sunnybank being strong in Colts 1 and 2 respectively. They have been for a number of years, whilst Brothers haven't. I'm not too sure if it's down to depth, but I'll find out.

How are University looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.