1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by rugbysthewinner, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

A fair assumption considering his form in the Semi and Prelim Finals - in my opinion the scrum half is the most subjective position in the game and selected based on how a coach wants/likes to play the game. I myself prefer the Christian/Hughes type of scrum half.

On a side note do selections suggest East have the Top 4 halves in the comp? I don’t see any Top 4 teams willing to trade their halves with East some how.
  2. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

I would suggest that many selections will depend on who the coaches are and what horse trading goes on.
    Always the problem at any level but a real shame at this level as choices selectors make will determine how hard boys train as they know if they are not looked at now they are no chance of being thought about ever again.
  3. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

As Nomad pointed out in the QLD GPS thread, there are a number of candidates for the URC teams that are likely to be called up for Australian U18 honours, whereby the championships clash. How does that work? A couple of names that come to mind are Roach, Flook, Pappin and Downs.
  4. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Fair to say the Souths boys will be pissed off after the Brothers kid got two weeks for the head high in the GF and the Souths boy got 4 for taking the guy out in the air two weeks before.

It is not very consistent given both acts we reckless and dangerous. One could have caused serious injury and one did cause serious injury.

It certainly feeds into the perception that Brothers get off lightly at the judiciary.
  5. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

Brisbane City U19s
    Name Club
    Frontrow
    Emosi Tuqiri GPS
    Ethan Dobbins Brothers
    John Downes GPS
    JP Tominiko Sunnybank
    Zac Crothers Easts
    Brad Kuhn Norths
    Tyreece Rotscheid-Felu Sunnybank
    Locks
    Emmitt Keepa Sunnybank
    Harrison Fox Norths
    Taine Roiri Sunnybank
    Harry Tombs Souths
    Backrow
    Matt Engelbrecht UQ
    Will Roach UQ
    Joseph Faulalo Sunnybank
    Conrad Skelton Brothers
    Mitchell Wood Wests
    Halves
    Nicholas Hughes Wests
    Jake Pappin Brothers
    Isaac Crone Sunnybank
    Zac Hogan UQ
    Centres
    Hudson Creighton Brothers
    Josh Flook Brothers
    Henry Smith Souths
    Blessed Tumua Sunnybank
    Christian Suemalo UQ
    Outside Backs
    Samuel Samu Sunnybank
    Mitchell Bell UQ
    Josh Russell UQ
    Toby Koraua Souths
    Matt Weir Norths

Brisbane City U19s coaching staff

Head Coach: Pat Byron –Brisbane SHS
    Asst Coach: Kelevi Tuicolo – Brothers
    Asst Coach: Daryl McNamara – Wests
    Manager: Dan Ritchie – Brisbane SHS
    Strength & Conditioning: Owen Flynn
    Physio: Carlie Cordery – Brothers

Queensland Country U19s
    Name Club Regional Background
    Frontrow
    Sinilau Wolske Souths
    Jack Winchester Bond
    Phransis Sula-Siaosi Souths Gold Coast
    Theo Fourie Souths Rockhampton
    Tyrell Kopua Bond Gold Coast
    Angus Lovelock Brothers
    Alex Davies Wests
    Locks
    Fred Fewtrell Easts Gold Coast
    Reagan Leslie Souths
    Jacob Stocker Brothers
    Charlie Scott Easts Roma
    Backrowers
    Thomas van der Schyff UQ Gold Coast
    Alex Smit Wests
    Reno Gerrard Souths Gold Coast
    Nick Cross Brothers
    Halves
    Spencer Jeans Bond Gold Coast
    Matt Minogue Bond Gold Coast
    Rhian Stowers Bond Gold Coast
    Harry Leerentveld Souths Toowoomba
    Hugo Smith Souths
    Lucas Niedzwiecki Easts
    Centres
    Francis Pona Sunnybank
    Ronan Kapi Bond Gold Coast
    Fletcher Spicer Wests
    Outside Backs
    Villiami Lea Souths
    Zac Palmer Bond Gold Coast
    Cooper Whiteside Wests
    Shaq McLeod GPS Bundaberg
    Johnson Oyelodi Brothers

Queensland Country U19s coaching staff:

Head Coach: Grant Anderson – Bond University
    Asst Coach: James McLaren – Sunnybank
    Asst Coach: Nick Fogarty – GPS
    Manager: Dan Bowdler – Bond University
    Strength & Conditioning: Jono Danaher
    Physio: Liam Sandstorm – Bond University
  6. Dark Shark Dave Cowper (27)

Thanks Reg. Are these teams being trimmed before Champs? From memory they could only take 25 players last year.
  7. SouthernX Arch Winning (36)

I don’t know the kids name (it’s name withheld on rugbylink)

Wests fullback. Very small and skinny but an absolute livewire. surprised not to see him names in either of the teams.
  8. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

all I have is this:

9. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

2019 Colts 1 Table
    1st Souths
    2nd Brothers
    3rd UQ
    4th Sunnybank
    5th West
    6th East
    7th Bond
    8th GPS
    9th Norths

URC Player Table
    1st Souths - 11
    2nd Sunnybank - 9
    3rd Brothers - 8
    4th Bond - 7
    5th UQ - 7
    6th West - 6
    7th East - 4
    8th GPS - 3
    9th Norths - 3

Winners would have to be Sunnybank, Bond - Losers would have to be UQ and possibly Brothers.

Thoughts?
  10. Dark Shark Dave Cowper (27)

Nah, Bond are the real winners after underperforming this season.
  11. new recruit_ brisbane Ward Prentice (10)

Reminds me of 2017 when Souths and Brothers get in an on field fight next to the Souths bench in Colts 1- Two Souths boys joined from the bench after an injured brothers player (in plain clothes and running the tee) ran on and landed a few hay makers. Souths players got 3 weeks; brothers player 2 weeks.. go figure.
  12. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

You obviously have an opinion on who should have been picked put your selectors hat on and pick a 15 who did not make it.

I will have a crack at it later

But it hard to argue that Bond did very well when the country coach is from Bond they finished 6th in colts one 4 games out of finals and runners up in Colts 2 with a team with lots of colts 1 boys in it. Conflict of interest anyone
  13. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

Bond looked good on paper at the start of the year filled with GPS superstars of 2018, but struggled with the physicality of Colts 1 footy in my opinion - first game they were defeated by 50points with all 7 of their URC players on the field.

Either way congrats to all the lads that made the squads
  14. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Big difference between a GPS season and 3 trials plus 16 games plus finals plus in many boys cases benching either reserve grade or prem grade
  15. The Engine Room Peter Burge (5)

I agree the large selections of the Bond Uni players based on the team's and individual performances by the Bond Uni?Queensland Country coach is a huge conflict of interest.
    Why is this BS continually allowed to happen. Who is checking this process? Similarly, a number of the City selections are very questionable. UQ and Brothers in particular have been ripped off. It is beyond comprehension that Mosiah Christian (UQ half-back) was not selected for example. I could also add Nathan Beil, Fin Hume, Will Wigan, Aiden Latter to that list from UQ. George Tarabay, Rem Sawtell from Brothers, Braydn Croft from Souths.

Seems schoolboy reputations still count. Give me a break!

16. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Agree on the Schoolboy reputations just use the eye test
    Wests should also consider themselves fortunate if you have 6 players at that level in a 9 team comp you should be a bit better than an 8 and 8 team

Here is my view on who should feel unlucky
    From
    Souths Colts 2 front row Kennedy, Lauder and Bingham "Dominated the Bond team that all got picked" second best front row in the comp, Croft outplayed Brothers ten twice in finals, Caleb Brown, The other loosie who did not get picked.
    Brothers a couple probably fiar one or two are doing other things
    UQ Christian the Halfback, Hill the centre Played some Prem grade and another of the Loose forwards
    Sunnybank Huddy but I heard he is injured after a strong start

Wests with 6 won lotto based on the eyetest
    Easts Probably fair to above average
    Bond with 7 Won Powerball
    GPS about 2 to many
    Norhts TBH probably fair the guys who got picked were in such a poor team at the end that they could not have done anything.d

17. Mike Bishop Bob McCowan (2)

You might need to take your Lauries hat off this is senior footy.

To say that the Souths colts 2 front row should have been in there is blasphemy. All three are good players and could potentially play elsewhere but not deserving of being in these teams. In regards to Croft, how many games did he actually play in colts 1? Don’t get me wrong, I agree he outplayed Pappin especially in the final when Pappin’s catch pass severely let him down but again don’t think he could have been picked (although I believe he’s better than our 10 Hogan).

Out of the UQ boys, Christian was definitely stiff to miss out and I thought he’d likely be in there but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Both Jeeps players should have made it (Downes and Tuquiri) and are definitely good enough for this level
  18. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

So your argument is that only Colts 1 players should be looked at by that metric you are exactly basing your selections not on what you see but by the reputation.
  19. Oldschool Charlie Fox (21)

Any Colt 2 boy who wants to be in the NRC U19 should be playing Colts 1 or prems week in week out, IMO.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  20. Dark Shark Dave Cowper (27)

There was a player who only started in around half a dozen Colts 1 games last year (because of injuries to the normal starters) and balance in Colts 2 who was then selected in 2018 URC and subsequently into Junior Wallabies squad until final cut going into Oceania Champs