1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by rugbysthewinner, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

Politics in Queensland rugby I won’t hear of it.
    Dane Gleebles likes this.
  2. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

Gordon didn't play a single colts game.
  3. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

What is the criteria Reg
  4. Dark Shark Jim Clark (26)

And neither did Wilson last year (until the finals),
    RugbyReg likes this.
  5. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

Grand Final week
    Souths v Brothers this will be a closely fought game. Brothers have an edge with colts 2 not making the big dance with will allow them to carry a full bench and be able to make tactical replacements. I think this could be the deciding factor as the Souths bench will be backing up after a GF on Saturday. I expect Brother to try and move the bigger Souths pack around and run them off there feet and use a full bench to keep the pace up. Souths will play the power game and try to outmuscle the Brothers boys. I will back Souths to win in a very close game with less than a try separating the teams.

Colts 2 Souths v Bond if Souths get on top of Bond early I think they will run away with it and after the major Semi Bond will never feel safe against the Souths team. Bond play a better structure shifting the ball well Souths a better organised and more physical in close. Souths by 14.

Great season from all of the boys and one of the more even years in quite a few.
  6. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

I asked some questions. No real criteria. Selected by Academy coaches.

I guess perhaps Flook's efforts to achieve what he did as a 17 year old impressed. Was also captain of QLD 18s apparently. A reward for effort and endeavor.

Read that as you will.
  7. The Nomad Tom Lawton (22)

^ Same Academy coaches who selected him as captain.

He had a great season regardless , as did quite a few others , always going to be subjective, don't think anyone who saw him play would begrudge him the award, particularly when he plays 13 and not always as involved as some , just shows how good he has gone this year.

It's a good thing that there were quite a few that could have won it and seen to be deserving winners.

Think it's been a great Colts season with only a bee's dick between the top teams.

The final will be a toss of the coin.
    RugbyReg and Hound like this.
  8. Brisbane Boys Frank Nicholson (4)

Not a surprise that they pick from inside the tent.
  9. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

who from outside this tent should have been considered?
  10. Brisbane Boys Frank Nicholson (4)

Mate I would suggest
    Keppa from the Bank but forwards don't get picked
    Either of the Props from Souths
    Lee from Souths
    Christian or Hill from UQ
    Those boys played mostly Colts

Obviously Gordan from Wests who played Prems as did a few others.
  11. Dane Gleebles Frank Row (1)

I think Flook played well and was solid all year in the colts competition, but best under 19 player in the QPR is pretty far fetched. As Harry Wilson won the award last year we know that there's no criteria of having to have played a certain amount of 'colts' games. With this said you'd think players who have played consistently in Prem grade the entire year, i.e Gordan, Kibble, Whiteside, Fourie, McDonald would get more of a look in over Flook.
  12. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

are those guys outside the tent?
    Getwithme likes this.
  13. Roberts Rugby Watty Friend (18)

Flook is more than deserving and played in the Colts comp. About bloody time he was recognised for his skill and potential. With coaches like Rod that kid is only going to get stronger.

I do rate Gordon as the best player who is under 19 years of age. Gordon’s got enough going on with NRC and SR, so let Flook enjoy his award which will encourage him for the future.
  14. The Nomad Tom Lawton (22)

Well done to Souths taking out both Colts 1&2 .

Big improvers from the last couple of years .
    Hound and Getwithme like this.
  15. Brisbane Boys Frank Nicholson (4)

Well played to Souths for both the Colts 1 and 2 grand final wins.

Colts two were very good and the score flattered Bond as they scored after the bell to get the score to 29 to 12 but the did try very hard.

Colts one was a pretty ordinary match to be honest with the ref having a very poor game and letting a lot of very niggly stuff go on off the ball from both teams. Brothers should have had a player sent off in the first five minutes for a high shot that left the Souths player with teeth knocked out and a broken jaw. After that incident he really lost his composure and he struggled to regain it for the entire match making a string of very poor decisions.

For mine Souths were dominant up front and in the end deserving winners.

I hope the young man has a full recovery.
    The Nomad likes this.
  16. Dark Shark Jim Clark (26)

Yes, congratulations to Souths for winning first and second div Colts. A feat that is not easy.

I have watched a replay of the incident you refer to above. When I saw the tackle live yesterday I cringed at the ferocity and possible legality. However, the replay shows the tackler coming in using both arms and just below or on chest height. What appears to do the damage is the arms of the Souths player and football snapping up into his face from the hit. Listening to the ref on replay, they got the call close to correct as possible without slomo replay.

However, the ref did lose control of the match unfortunately with too much niggle and carrying on and players from both sides trying to tell him how to ref the game / a play. While he tried to come down on the rubbish going on no one listened and too many warnings.
  17. steveadams12 Stan Wickham (3)

From what I saw, the brothers player made contact to the head, if you leave a player with a broken jaw and missing teeth, it should be a red card
  18. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

In a rare effort for me I picked both the results and the spread. My view is that is a Red card all day and even on replay it looks really bad. I expect he will he cited and assuming he has not done this before he will end up with 4 weeks. Brothers will say he was in the QPR 7’s squad so he will be available for the start of next season.

World rugby are trying to stop upright tackling and this is the poster boy for what can go wrong.
    Getwithme likes this.
  19. Mike Bishop Bob McCowan (2)

I just watched the stream on YouTube and I’m not saying that Souths were perfect with their 5 lucky to not be red carded for his shot, but that brothers side was disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves. Some really bad late hits that were only penalised and celebrating when the Souths 13 was clearly knocked out. The refs missing the numbers of these players is beyond unacceptable
  20. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

when in the match did the broken jaw happen:?