1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by rugbysthewinner, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Mike Bishop Bob McCowan (2)

45 seconds in
  2. warhorse Ward Prentice (10)

So you are saying that the Souths player's hands and the ball broke his jaw in two places and knocked out several teeth not the Brothers player's elbow?
  3. Augustus the Great Frank Row (1)

There has been allot of Talk about the high shot on the Souths 13. In all my years involved in the game I have never seen facial injuries like this on a footy field. How this wasn't a Red card is absolutely beyond me.
    After watching the replay numerous times the Brothers Winger flew in fast and high with the top of his head making contact with the Souths players face. The result is numerous facial fractures that will require surgery over the next few weeks. Jordan is a wonderful young man with exceptional talent and I just hope he can make it back onto the field next season.
    This is what should never happen on a footy field. Personally they should throw the book at this guy and give him 12 weeks minimum. This is exactly what World Rugby is trying to stop.
    No doubt this rocked Souths early. Brothers went on with the cheap shots and sledging well outside the spirit of the game and Souths were being sucked in there utter nonsense. Some words of wisdom at halftime from the coach got them back on track and they went on with it making club history by winning Colts 1 and 2 in the same year for the first time. A Magpie for me!
  4. steveadams12 Stan Wickham (3)

The 8 for brothers who I believe is the captain as well put a unbelievably late shot on the Souths 10 in the first half, which resulted in a penalty and no card as the refs apparently ‘didn’t get a number’
  5. The Nomad Johnnie Wallace (23)

It's very hard to see clearly what happened on the stream available on Reds TV on You Tube.

Very awkward looking hit with the wrong shoulder and what looks like the head and elbow of the tackler coming up into the face the lad with the ball after initial contact. Hard to say to from footage where the initial contact is , but you don't end up with a broken jaw and missing teeth from a glancing blow, and you can't blame the ball carrier, he didn't fall into the tackle.

After watching the three main games on Sunday , what stood out with regard to referring was the lack of involvement from the Assistant Referees ( formally know as Touchies).

Multiple instances when ref unsighted because of positioning , but with the AR having a clear view and no assistance given from the AR, that's what they are there for isn't it ?

I'm all for minimal intervention from the men in control, but when obvious infringements happen right in front them , they have to get involved . You shouldn't have three blokes who are wired up miss this sort of stuff.
    Hound and RugbyReg like this.
  6. Al Rashford Frank Row (1)

It was a head clash. Barely a yellow card. Very sad for souths 13 though. 12 weeks? please..

Attached Files:

7. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Barely a yellow you need to take you eyepatch off. You are using the incorrect thinking

The tackle was reckless with direct contact to the head with force. Red card. Similar to taking a guy out in the air the tackler is responsible for the outcome.

I know the boy who did it will feel sick about the outcome but that Brothers team were obviously under instructions to win the physical battle at all costs and were overamped which was interesting as when they flogged Souths at Crosby it was through a very smart game plan that was well executed and a Souths team that was overamped.

I hope the boy who made the tackle puts some serious work into his technique as he will either injure someone else or himself soon with equally horrific results.

I think the coaching staff should take a look at themselves as they are responsible for the manner of there teams play and IMHO they got that wrong. I am not saying they said go out and injure someone far from it, I am saying they got it wrong and their team went to far.
  8. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

Under World Rugby guidelines (see attached) it's a clear Red I reckon.

First of all - it was a "High Tackle" as there is clear contact to the ball carrier's head. We can't deny that.

Next - The contact with the ball carrier's head was in contact with the tackler's head (at least)

Next - it was High. So it looks like a Red Card.

Are there mitigating factors? Well first of all it states that as it was in open space with a clear line of site for the tackler with time before contact, then these mitigating factors hold less weight. Regardless..

The tackler didn't change his height.
    The ball carrier didn't change his height
    The tackler is not unsighted
    It was not reactionary, nor was their clear release
    Clear initial contact with the head (by the head).

It's about as clear red card as you can get.

Head High.PNG
    Brisbane Boys and The Nomad like this.
  9. warhorse Ward Prentice (10)

I would just like to also point out that the player who replaced the seriously injured Souths player, has a mouth injury(split lip and severe bruising) from a high shot by the same Brothers player after he returned to field after the yellow card. I agree that he needs to work on his tackle technique.
  10. Mike Bishop Bob McCowan (2)

Probably enough brothers bashing for the time being, who are we expecting to make the URC teams this year? I feel there might be some surprises in comparison to last year which was fairly cut and dry who made it.

Assuming of course that Gordon and Ralston play NRC
  11. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Mate all one can hope for is that they pick on form not reputation.

There are some high profile boys who have been given a rails run who would not pick and some who should be rewarded based on performance.
  12. Oldschool Charlie Fox (21)

I hear that next year is U20's for Colts. If so, I think this is a good move to create a bit more depth for a few clubs that struggle with numbers and help with the development of the late bloomers.
  13. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

Wow Will Kirk from East for URC scrum half - looks like performance was not part of the criteria prior Rep achievements strikes again..intrigued to see the remaining squad
  14. rugbysthewinner Peter Burge (5)

Gotta love politics. Any idea on when they will announce the teams??
  15. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Mate you can expect one or two from underperforming teams and to be fair it would not have been easy to play behind the Easts pack.
    I expect the usual suspects I have given up on being annoyed by it anymore.
  16. Mike Bishop Bob McCowan (2)

In fairness though, there's two squads of roughly 30 so you'd assume at least 4/5/6 half backs are chosen. And looking at them, you'd reckon Jeans and Hughes would be guaranteed and maybe Smith and Christian the others.

It'd be interesting to see the flyhalves chosen, honestly surprised that Neizweicki or whatever was picked. Thought he was poor in the games I saw. But you'd assume Leerenveltd (if healthy since he hasn't played for a while), Pappin and there's not really anyone else.

Will certainly be interesting to see the squads in there entirety.
  17. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

From what I hear the list looks like this:

Brisbane City
    - Brothers 9 Tarabay and 10 Pappin
    - East 9 Kirk and UQ 10 Hogan

Qld Country
    - South’s 9 Smith and 10 TBC after medicals Monday
    - Bond 9 Jeans East 10 Neizweicki
  18. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

Given the way Croft came in and steadied the ship for Souths one would hope he will get a look in seems to have matured his game.
  19. Brisbane Boys Peter Burge (5)

I would have thought the halfback from UQ would have been in the mix also
  20. rugbysthewinner Peter Burge (5)

The mail is Roach and Englebrecht from UQ are in, any new on other forwards. Have also heard a lot of the Souths Colts 1 boys are on the Country squad.