1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by rugbysthewinner, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Xasparatiin Bob McCowan (2)

West's seem to be coming home very well at the moment, you can't say these wins are flukes by any means. It's a shame this form is only coming now at this point in the season. Next round predictions?
  2. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

I thought it was quite a good game. West seemed unstructured at times but played with plenty of heart like they had nothing to lose - the No. 8 Mitch Wood showed plenty of speed which was impressive, he was definitely a game changer. From attack off the back of the scrum to playing centre at times in attack, although predictable at times like junior footy "give the giant man child the ball to run it" it was still very effective. West 12 exLogan Saints was hard to stop as was the 13 exWynnum Bugs.

To say the score flatter UQ is a bit much - when you score 5 tries and your opposition scores 3 and is awarded a penalty try, ultimately it was UQ game to lose through discipline and poor kicking.
    The Nomad likes this.
  3. Brisbane Boys Frank Nicholson (4)

Fair Assessment SS noted that Wests have had victories over the teams that are more about skill over size being Brothers and UQ and have struggled with the teams where it is size over skill Sunnybank and Souths.
    Wests when I have seen them play this year have some very good backs without the forward play to generate space on a regular basis. It is hard to see Wests making the finals considering how much start they have given the third and fourth placed teams. But if they go undefeated and things go there way it could be close.
  4. The Engine Room Frank Nicholson (4)

5. The Engine Room Frank Nicholson (4)

UQ were not helped by some very dubious ref decisions and too many missed conversions. When UQ kicked into gear in the first half they had it all over the Doggies but went to sleep in the second half thinking the job done. Wests 9 and Wood played very well to expose a tired UQ pack late in the second half. UQ had to opportunity to win it late with a great show and go from the UQ fullback who split the line open and got them into the 22 but they just couldn't finish it off due to some desperate Doggies defence. The run home to the final 4 will be great to follow. It's been a great season to date and all credit to the players across the Colts divisions who have turned on some entertaining football to watch.
  6. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

This weeks games
    Wests v GPS should not be close Wests by 30

Souths v Easts closer than last time but Souths by 30

Game of the round Brothers v Sunnybank if If it is wet the Bank are a real chance in this game. Brothers have the edge in skill. Brothers by 7 which will keep west season alive.

UQ v Norths. I think Norths have an upset in them before the end of the season but I don’t think it will be this game UQ by 20

Others thoughts.
  7. George Craswell Bob McCowan (2)

With the top four teams so close this year I wonder what will be the critical difference in the finals.
    Obviously a freakish star moment is inevitable . So too the weather will play a role with big teams liking a slow track.
    What about the captains of each of the four teams are there any standouts ? Does it make a difference anyhow?
  8. The Nomad Tom Lawton (22)

Six Colts 1 players chosen for the Reds U18’s game against Rebels U18’s this Sunday.

Brothers : Pappin and Flook
    UQ : Englebrecht and Roach
    Easts: Crothers
    GPS : Downs

Brothers most effected for their game against Sunnybank.
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  9. Roberts Rugby Watty Friend (18)

Brothers know they need to step up today. UQ in the same position. Without Roach and Englebrecht, Norths may get a bit of confidence. The top 4 look secure, but if Wests and Bond get a run of wins and the top 4 drop the ball, then it all opens up.
    Let’s go Brothers!
  10. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

GPS with their 1st win of the season hats off - after beating 2 top sides West lose to the bottom of the table, that’s how footy goes sometimes. GPS 34 - West 33

Norths valiant effort but were never really in it - UQ have their centres back and it showed, lots of conversion points left on the paddock again. UQ 42 - North 12

Dominant performance by Souths taming the tigers once again. Souths 57 - East 7

Game of the Week:

For the most part I thought Sunnybank played better - but like UQ last week discipline and conversion kicking really let them down. When you score more tries and still lose the only place to look is in the mirror. Brothers 28 - Sunnybank 26

Game of the Week again for Sunnybank v UQ looking forward to the match up
    SouthernX likes this.
  11. Xasparatiin Bob McCowan (2)

Bank vs UQ- UQ by 5
    Easts vs Wests- Wests by 18
    Norths vs GPS - GPS by 2
    Souths vs Bond- Souths by 10
  12. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

For some teams there are only 4 weeks of footy remaining - just enough time to put your hand up for a URC spot.

These are my thoughts:

URC City
    1. Sini Wolske (Souths)
    2. Theo Fourie (Souths)
    3. Torah Moe (UQ)
    4. Callum MacDonald (Souths)
    5. Mitchell Wood (West)
    6 Joesph Faulalo (SB)
    7. Nathan Beil (UQ)
    8 Nick Cross (Brothers)
    9. Mosiah Christian (UQ)
    10. Carter Gordon (West)
    11. Villiami Lea (Souths)
    12. Christian Suemalo (UQ)
    13. Byron Ralston (Brothers)
    14. Samuel Samu (SB)
    15. Cooper Whiteside (West)
    RESERVES
    16. Tyreece Rotscheld-Felu (SB)
    17. Phransis Sula Siaosi (Souths)
    18. Nester Mahina (SB)
    19. Tom Van Der Schyff (UQ)
    20. Emmett Keepa (SB)
    21. George Tarabay (Brothers)
    22. Joshua Flook (Brothers)
    23. Rhian Stowers (Bond)

URC Country
    1. Tyrell Kopua (Bond)
    2. Ethan Dobbins (Brothers)
    3. Angus Lovelock (Brothers)
    4. Jacob Stocker (Brothers)
    5 Sam Heilmann (UQ)
    6. Alex Smitt (West)
    7. Will Roach (UQ)
    8. Reno Gerrard (Souths)
    9. Spencer Jeans (Bond)
    10. Harry Leerenttveld (Souths)
    11. Joshua Russell (UQ)
    12. Joshua Hill (UQ)
    13. Jeremy Kempston (SB)
    14. Ben Bucknell (GPS)
    15. Nathan Carol (Brothers)
    RESERVES
    16. Aiden Latter (UQ)
    17. Emile Tuimavavae (Bond)
    18. Zachary Crothers (East)
    19. Mathew Engelbrecht (UQ)
    20. Fred Fewtrell (East)
    21. Nicholas Hughes (West)
    22. Jake Pappin (Brothers)
    23. Fletcher Spicer (West)

I am aware Carter Gordon, Cooper Whiteside maybe selected to play NRC - Jordan Petaia, Tom Kibble have already play NRC so URC would not be an option
    RugbyReg and Xasparatiin like this.
  13. Xasparatiin Bob McCowan (2)

The city team looks stronger than the country team isn't the goal for them to be equally competitive
  14. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

All inter changeable just my top 46 I’ve more than likely missed a few - it will be close between Hugo Smith (Souths) and Nick Hughes (West). Also if Carter Gordon plays NRC that may leave the door open for Zach Hogan (UQ) or Isaac Crone. Byron Ralston has earned an NRC spot which will open more doors for others. Souths 12,13 West 11,15 East 13 Bond 12 UQ 11 GPS 13 SB 12,15 only time will tell
  15. Brisbane Boys Frank Nicholson (4)

Mate I just hope that the selectors actually use there eyes and not same bullshit nepotism system that every other rep team gets picked on. Fro mine Reno from Souths and Ben Bucknell from GPS should be playing colts two given the lack of effort I have seen from both this season.
    Dark Shark and Getwithme like this.
  16. The Nomad Tom Lawton (22)

Anyone heard anything about Will Chaffy?

TGS / QLD 1 last year got picked in the initial Aussie Schoolboys squad but ended up having a shoulder recon midway through the GPS season last year.

There was talk of him coming to Easts, would have been a very good lock paring for the Tigers with Chaffy and Fewtrell.

Hopefully recovering , just thought we might have seen him by now.
  17. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

From what I understand he played a couple Colts 1 game before sustaining another injury
  18. The Nomad Tom Lawton (22)

^ Cheers , thought it was strange that he hasn't been seen , particularly after getting named in the Aussie U20's squad earlier in the year.
  19. Sgt Slaughter Herbert Moran (7)

Mate I just hope that the selectors actually use there eyes and not same bullshit nepotism system that every other rep team gets picked on. Fro mine Reno from Souths and Ben Bucknell from GPS should be playing colts two given the lack of effort I have seen from both this season.

^^^Brisbane Boys

Selectors using their eyes? never heard such blasphemy - nepotism is the foundation of what this game is built upon, without it there would be no need for Forums where we can converse about how shit every thing is :)

On a serious note you can bet your house Reno will be selected if he is fit for play, in my opinion I think he is overrated and his work rate is below average in comparison to the likes of Beil (UQ), Cross(Brothers), Wood (West) and even Paddy Price from East.

In saying that we must not forget at TSS he was a Prop 2015,16 converted into No8 2017,18, his work rate as a Prop is outstanding - however his work rate for a No8 is well below the required level. It would be interesting to hear how he feels about the positional change as he still looks unsure of what he should be doing as a No8 in my opinion. Either way you can bet your bottom dollar Reno will be selected.
    Happyman and RugbyReg like this.
  20. Happyman Ted Fahey (11)

Bank v UQ I am going with the bank due to the wet weather which will sit well with the power of the Bank. I would take UQ in the dry.
    Easts v Wests both playing for pride. Wests to bounce back. Wests by 14
    Norths v GPS Norths for mine by 10
    Souths v Bond Souths by plenty.

Game of the week will actually be the Souths v Bond colts 2 game. This will be for the premiership. The word is Bond are loading that team up as it will be the only grade to play finals. Souths are losing a few to Colts 1 and injury so I will take Bond at home