• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't know if it has already been posted on G&G, but I read not long ago that Browning is the grandson of Dick Marks, the former Wallaby. Pretty impressive bloodlines.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are either of the Hunt boys from Nudgee staying on next year?

Also did either of them have the same impact as Stefano did in his final year. Not sure but I think Stephen is being looked at by the force

Stephen is quite a different player than Stef. He is more in the mold of the oldest Hunt boy, Junior, who was more of a hard running centre before the Reds made him have surgery on his heart due to a dodgy ticker. I watched Stephen a couple of years ago in the 15 or 16 A's and he was a man among boys on the field. People walking past the field would stop when he touched the ball as he was tearing up the poor boys from Terrace. Would be great if he was picked up by someone.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm third cousins with the lucas brothers and they haven't got another one coming through their for a few years lol so that might let you down. Also you guys have James Dalgleish, guy going into year 11, plays inside center and went to primary school with me. Used to play club rugby down there at taylor bridge. He's big enough, fast enough, has the skills and fitness, and most likely has the ticker. Surely he will at least make the bench?

Yeah I expect alot of the younger guys will step up to first level as often happens when you have a bit of a weaker age group. Best of luck to them.

D

dleezy02

On the Terrace front, i hear that the 15 As played the 16 A shortly after this years season only to have beaten their older peers by a couple tries. This may suggest that the Terrace first XV of 2011 will have many up and coming players flourish from grade 11

T

Thomas

Yeh the 16A from terrace this year weren't very good but they had a few injuries I heard

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know if it has already been posted on G&G, but I read not long ago that Browning is the grandson of Dick Marks, the former Wallaby. Pretty impressive bloodlines.

I didn't know that. Those bloodlines are impressive.

On the face of it, the rugby genes don't seem to be from the same pool: the granddad an accurate, no frills test centre and the grandson a hard-nosed, rambunctious schoolboy lock, though destined to be a senior no.8.

But, if memory serves: Dick was a tenacious player and he was not easy to tackle with ball in hand. Those attributes have been passed down to young Curtis.

A

alc14

ipswich are looking strong they have a big front row and a very fast back line with queensland reps all over the shopp

T

Thomas

Will there front row be this years U16's front row or a mixture of players from this years 1st's and 16s?

R

Rothschild

Welcome on board there alc14.
A big statement there.
Who do you predict as the Ippy standouts this coming year?

A

alc14

they have a fair bit of talent up front with the likes of maile and his cousin fatai with some good flankers in tasi tasi , and there back line includes matt gorden and denzel king so its looking alot better than last year

A

alc14

my cousin goes there and i watch the games but he is telling me they have a new boy called fatai who is the aussie hookers cousin , thats all i know as of yet

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
yes I too have heard from a couple of friends that ipswich are looking fairly strong this year. Strong enough to make a title challenge maybe not but possibly make the top four.

R

Rothschild

they have a fair bit of talent up front with the likes of maile and his cousin fatai with some good flankers in tasi tasi , and there back line includes matt gorden and denzel king so its looking alot better than last year
I thought Maile was in year 12 this year

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
yer ipswich look strong but they never seem to have many boys picked in the GPS sides will it be the same this coming year ? thoughts

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
If you're suggesting that there's some bias in the selection process, you yourself are making a valid point but beware: this forum is very visible to everyone from every school that likes looking at rugby news. You'll get every man and his dog trolling on here, and we'll end up having a sportal version two for anyone who saw what happened there. Be careful what you say.

R

Rothschild

yer ipswich look strong but they never seem to have many boys picked in the GPS sides will it be the same this coming year ? thoughts

Go back two years and nearly the entire GPSII team was wearing red and white socks. Reality says though that they get their fair share based on their player merits. The only one this yearthat had any goods really was Liam law but he was injured before the season started and Maile had a strong year as well.
Last year (2009) you also had a good share of reps right thru to Qld Schools, so I really don't see the validity of your comment.
Please put fishing icon alongside in future.

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
i wasnt suggesting that at all i think they just did not have the players to make those sides. yer well that is true they were not that strong is there team next year strong and will many boys have a chance at making GPS sides

B

brisbanepassword

My prediction- 1.BSHS
2.TSS
3.NC
4.IGS
5.ACGS
6.BGS
7.BBC
8.TGS
9.GT

State high wont be as dominant as in 2009, and probably not as strong in all areas as the 2010 side, although sautia and browning will be unstoppable, as well as the presence of some other solid players such as khuu, alo-emile and kerevi to provide support. TSS has plenty of players returning, and their forward pack will be the best in the comp, not so sure about the backline though. Nudgee will be strong as usual, and look out for their flyhalf, billy brittain. The IGS front row is going to be very strong, and they also have plenty of athleticism in their backline. Churchie will be solid in all areas, with no standouts, although the centre soap someone is a player to keep an eye on. BGS have their QLD and GPS 1 flyhalf returning, as well as a powerful number 8, although they will have nothing on the 2010 team. BBC will have a strong front row (ben tarr has heaps of potential) and also some quick outside backs, but nothing too special. I dont rate their halfback either. Toowoomba and Terrace will battle it out for the wooden spoon. Toowoomba has a solid hooker and some tough flankers, but thats about it. Terrace dont seem to have a chance, they have a massive kid playing prop, and some gritty flankers, but thats about it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.