• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

News from the Gold Coast is that TSS no9 Matt Fairnington is repeating. This will definitely improve their chances with a number of guys playing their second season of 1st XV football.

I hear there are lots of lads back in the TSS team (from year 11 last year) amd Matt F is the only real repeater. Rumour was that Cody Blackhurst only went to BGS because he would have missed out on TSS hooker spot anyway. Pretty damm sad that a kid changes schools because of 8 games of rugby. If you are good enough stay and fight for "your" spot. Shows plenty of insecurity IMO. looks like TSS will be a bit shy out wide without a "crook" standout in the mix

S

shitkicker

I hear there are lots of lads back in the TSS team (from year 11 last year) amd Matt F is the only real repeater. Rumour was that Cody Blackhurst only went to BGS because he would have missed out on TSS hooker spot anyway. Pretty damm sad that a kid changes schools because of 8 games of rugby. If you are good enough stay and fight for "your" spot. Shows plenty of insecurity IMO. looks like TSS will be a bit shy out wide without a "crook" standout in the mix

Surely it would have to show narrow minded-ness of the coaching staff too? How would it look if the new kid on scholarship was playing 2nd XV? Kid never really had a chance IMO.

T

TheTruth

Surely it would have to show narrow minded-ness of the coaching staff too? How would it look if the new kid on scholarship was playing 2nd XV? Kid never really had a chance IMO.

SK

You probably are correct in your presumptions. Head coach down there (Wallace) is pretty good and supported by the boys. The backs coach and forwards' coaches lack that support and probably deservedly so. Is Jones still the coach of Churchie after his shocker last year.

B

BGS Old Boy

Jones is still at Churchie still hoping that the fat wallet approach of last year will pay off. I don't think that the competition will be as clear cut as some people believe. Ippy have a number of cattle returning and Grammar will look to maintain their resurgence. Regardless there is no better football to watch. Bring on Term 2

T

TheTruth

Jones is still at Churchie still hoping that the fat wallet approach of last year will pay off. I don't think that the competition will be as clear cut as some people believe. Ippy have a number of cattle returning and Grammar will look to maintain their resurgence. Regardless there is no better football to watch. Bring on Term 2

Probably the only way Jones will be really successful

O

OLDDOG

I don't think that the competition will be as clear cut as some people believe. Ippy have a number of cattle returning and Grammar will look to maintain their resurgence. Regardless there is no better football to watch. Bring on Term 2

I would tend to agree with you there, it should be a much closer comp this year. rumour has it that BSHS have lost a few cracking players, but never count em out, their coach was/is amazing. Sounds like nudgee and TSS have lost some talent too. Having said that, the big 3 still have quite a selection of great talent either playing in their 2nd season, or new lads coming up to the boil nicely this year. Nudgee always seem to find great talent year in year out, a massive pity if Caleb is indeed gone, he was an amazing 8. TSS fwds on the whole look good, and they have some very good backs again this year, will be interesting to see how they replace their wingers from last year. Big new plans and recruits from the others in the comp can only be good for the competition. wouldnt it be great if everybody beat everybody this year!

R

rugby_09

Heard today that Curtis Browning is gone for season with shoulder recon. Just wondering if that is true or false

B

BGS Old Boy

Heard today that Curtis Browning is gone for season with shoulder recon. Just wondering if that is true or false

If that's the case then GPS Rugby will be very much the poorer. I hope that's untrue particularly for Curtis who in my mind has been the standout performer for the last if not two years.

T

TheTruth

If that's the case then GPS Rugby will be very much the poorer. I hope that's untrue particularly for Curtis who in my mind has been the standout performer for the last if not two years.

Thought Curtis was special in 2009 but not 2010

T

TheTruth

I would tend to agree with you there, it should be a much closer comp this year. rumour has it that BSHS have lost a few cracking players, but never count em out, their coach was/is amazing. Sounds like nudgee and TSS have lost some talent too. Having said that, the big 3 still have quite a selection of great talent either playing in their 2nd season, or new lads coming up to the boil nicely this year. Nudgee always seem to find great talent year in year out, a massive pity if Caleb is indeed gone, he was an amazing 8. TSS fwds on the whole look good, and they have some very good backs again this year, will be interesting to see how they replace their wingers from last year. Big new plans and recruits from the others in the comp can only be good for the competition. wouldnt it be great if everybody beat everybody this year!
one of wingers was lost to NRL (titans)(lausi) and the other L Crook lost to qld and having fun and playing at ACT in the Academy

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Lausi did'nt look to crash hot in gps fixtures because he didnt look to his support players enough. That said he played quite well in the reps games.

T

TheTruth

Lausi did'nt look to crash hot in gps fixtures because he didnt look to his support players enough. That said he played quite well in the reps games.

Fair comment but the kid backed himself, tough and good tackler - obviously why he was taken up in NRL

A

alc14

fatai latu the prop has not returned to ipswich this year moving back to his old school. unluucky

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Fair comment but the kid backed himself, tough and good tackler - obviously why he was taken up in NRL

Yeah a gifted athlete no doubt. Rugby league will be a perfect fit for him, think the game suits him a bit more.

R

redsfan123

The placings plus players playing their second or third year for each team in 2011:
1st - TSS - Large number of returning players. Good forward pack. Farrington, Paraka (easily quickest prop in gps), (very tall second rower unsure of name)
2nd - NC - Again players returning in key positions. Good allround. Satui , Mcmahon, Brittain , Hunt (craig) , Postal (hooker) . Will be affected by the loss of Timu
3rd - BSHS - Will be hurting without Browning but still have a good group of key players. Alo-emile, Meehan, F'sautia, Khuu
4th - 8th could be a mixture of remaining teams depending on how it goes on the day
ACGS - won the 16a's comp last year. S Palau returning
BGS - Will not be as strong as last year but still very competitive. Davies, Aumua
BBC - many players returning and new coach. Tarr, Jaffe, Levander, Bird, Kalell, Patridge, (halfback)
IGS - always plays with that attacking flair. King, Bowen, Tasi, Moore,
GT - Not as much talent as previous year but could cause some upsets. Ayala, Birgan, Hanley, Stewart(prop)
TGS - Not much known . But according to talk have recruited well. Hawker(centre)
*Please don't hesitate to add to the list*

T

TheTruth

Essentially agree with i,2 and 3 but unsure of the order - IMO IGS will be the smokie

T

TheTruth

He is supposed to be doing very well at the TITS, getting every opportunity he deserves and being looked after as well - kid will be in the big-time in a couple of years IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.