• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BGS Old Boy

That is surprising. I had heard that Gillie's had recruited well and had picked up a number of good prospects from S.A. that he had spotted whilst coaching the U16 Red side last year in Sydney.

Was that really their 1st XV squad? Surely not! They were fairly ordinary at best. I know it was hot and it's early in the season but their catch pass was sloppy as was their defense particularly off set piece. Their better players must be boarders who went home or they played lots of U16's because that was definitely not 1st XV standard. Having said that full credit to St.Edmonds who bustled TGS throughout the entire game with their inside backs particularly strong.

StewP

Bob McCowan (2)
Was that really their 1st XV squad? Surely not! They were fairly ordinary at best. I know it was hot and it's early in the season but their catch pass was sloppy as was their defense particularly off set piece. Their better players must be boarders who went home or they played lots of U16's because that was definitely not 1st XV standard. Having said that full credit to St.Edmonds who bustled TGS throughout the entire game with their inside backs particularly strong.

As I understand it Jason Gilmore was keen to have a good showing in this game as a couple of his proteges from his time at the Reds were coaching the Eddies team.

S

shitkicker

OldBoy. I can say that there were a number of 1st XV players who were missing from that game. Very good 1st XV players. But that still isnt an excuse. It was appaling!

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I understand that 5 or 6 players who would be considered for First xv selection were unavailable for various reasons including league commitments. Having said that I have noticed that the skill levels of players at TGS, particularly those that are fringe canditates is really poor and off the pace. The school needs a lot of work through their age levels on basics skills... Jason Gillmore is not going to correct these deficiencies in 12 months..its a 2 to three year program

W

Watcher

I understand that 5 or 6 players who would be considered for First xv selection were unavailable for various reasons including league commitments. Having said that I have noticed that the skill levels of players at TGS, particularly those that are fringe canditates is really poor and off the pace. The school needs a lot of work through their age levels on basics skills... Jason Gillmore is not going to correct these deficiencies in 12 months..its a 2 to three year program
Yes it will take time but ultimately Jason will have an impact there. No doubt and that can only be good for GPS rugby.

T

TheTruth

He seems to be doing okay as a coach, changing the culture will take a bit of time, and he looks to be hard at work (I've been watching him getting people to sign up). His involvement means that the U16's (my age group) now have a decent coach / coordinator in Brett Shields (a.k.a. action man). That's an improvement, last year the coaching was abysmal - training was frankly terrible, no fun at all, no one instilled any commitments and half the time half the team would say bugger it and turn right to toowong village food court instead of going to wests...

They pulled some alright crowds last year, seem to play better when everyones watching (ACGS at suncorp) and then the terrace game which i swear had more people than some a-league games... They will be 7th or so on the table i'd say, but if Tom sticks around and changes things one team might even win for the first time since my brothers great under 13c side of 2006!

My Prediction:

1. Nudgee
2. TSS
3. BSHS
4. IGS
5. ACGS
6. BGS
789 in no order GT BBC TGS

Probably agree but with Nudgee being 2 and Southport being 1 - simply because of about 11 boys from last year still in the side - experience experience experience

D

Doc

Was talking to a Terrace parent last night, seems the have had a change of coaching staff. Strangely, it was their forwards/defensive coach given the flick while the backs/attack coach remains. I'm not sure of the exact changes as I think they had three coaches last year, but three Oz Schoolboys (including the center-turned-lock (raper????)) and, by reports from other coaches, a very solid defense plus 4th place finish only to get the chop seems harsh.

Will be interesting to see how this effects the team. Originally, thought they may have been a chance for another mid-table run (u16 form counts for little) but might have to re-think that.

Also on Terrace (I may be totally wrong here) but isn't their backs coach Tom Barkers long time 2IC? Will make for an interesting clash with BBC. Master vs Apprentice.

R

redsfan123

Last year at terrace there were three coaches. Head coach / backs coach mark stevenson, who yes did coach alongside tom barker (possibly secured premiership together with nudgee in early 2000's). The other two coaches were co forwards coaches. From what I understand one of them is now the seconds coach and the other is a technical advisor to all the age groups. I believe this was to strengthen the coaching stocks. Yes the three aus schoolboys (bridges, ready and reiser) have all left.

T

TheTruth

Last year at terrace there were three coaches. Head coach / backs coach mark stevenson, who yes did coach alongside tom barker (possibly secured premiership together with nudgee in early 2000's). The other two coaches were co forwards coaches. From what I understand one of them is now the seconds coach and the other is a technical advisor to all the age groups. I believe this was to strengthen the coaching stocks. Yes the three aus schoolboys (bridges, ready and reiser) have all left.

Just shows how important the GPS schools take their rugby rivalry - great for Qld rugby in general

D

Diz87

What at BSHS, is Villa Park not up to scratch for rugby yet?

And in regards to the GPS comp this BSHS will be hard to beat again, I coach cricket up there and have no bias as I was a villa old boy. But from watching their 1st XV squad train and talking to one of their ex rugby masters they have some pretty excirting players, especially a new enrolment they have got from Africa.

T

TheTruth

What at BSHS, is Villa Park not up to scratch for rugby yet?

And in regards to the GPS comp this BSHS will be hard to beat again, I coach cricket up there and have no bias as I was a villa old boy. But from watching their 1st XV squad train and talking to one of their ex rugby masters they have some pretty excirting players, especially a new enrolment they have got from Africa.

Should fit in well

D

Doc

My nephew made his 14a debut today for Nudgee, so I went out an watched the trials vs Terrace. Hung around and watched the 1sts and 2nds. Won't comment on indivduals, just overall team performance.

Nudgee looked quite good but rusty. They won both games quite comfortably maybe 10 tries in 2nd and 6-8 tries in 1s. Doubt anyone kept score. In the 1s they looked like they could have done alot more damage apart from silly errors and the ref penalizing terrace quickly. Set piece was dominant, but it was against a 'traditional' terrace set piece that seemed lacking in basics. Backline was slick at times and looked capable. Some of the tries scored were very soft, where better opposition would have held them out. NC certainly treated the game more seriously than terrace with a 15 named, rather than a squad (or so it seemed).

Terrace looked ok at times and terrible at others. I believe it is very early form for them so won't read too much into it, but they seem to be lacking in the key areas that they were strong in previous years. Tackling technique was poor for the majority and less said about set piece the better. I cannot recall them winning a lineout. Most surprising for me given what I've heard about the change of coaches was that in both the 1s and 2s, not a single point was scored. I saw GT play twice last year and there attack (or lack there of) killed their chances of winning behind tremendous defence. Hoping this will improve and is only an early blip on the radar.

It seemed that the Terrace coach enforced the mercy rule at 3/4 time. But I also heard it was supposed to be thirds, just NC and the ref didn't know.

C

crazy horse

Terrace will be pretty weak in 2011. Hurts me to say it but I'm tipping them for the wooden spoon. Hopefully they do the jersey proud and play with a bit of ticker.

Saw GT v NC First XV trial game @ NC yesterday. GT Coach saw enough at 3/4 time and called the rest of the game off. Disappointing for spectators who came expecting to see a full game. NC tryline never breached and NC had 2 of their own by 1/4 time. Not the biggest NC pack I have seen but they do have ticker and if NC backs can maximise possession, they look set for a good season. They also have a decent 2nd XV. In their trial game, they also beat GT easily and suspect many of their 2nds will be promoted to Firsts next week as coach experiments with positions over coming weeks. Not much difference between their Firsts and Seconds really so they should have depth to cover inevitable injuries.Any feedback out there on other GPS trial games played yesterday???

C

czar01

Terrace got smashed at last years round robin competition as well.

Most of the 1st XV lads started training 2 weeks ago with the few who played last year (Birgan/Ayala) rested until midway through the second 20minute session (it was always to be 3 x 20 minute sessions) along with the talented year 11's Dalgleish and Henan (5'8 and incentre respectively). They stopped much of the bleeding when they came on. Missing big lock Crooks who is back for next week Knox trial.

Nudgee did look rusty but normal ruthlessness in spades. Terrace looked as if they just met which in reality they did.

For Terrace it is "into the gates of hell" as it normally is. They will do the school proud win lose or draw.

Nudgee looked good without extending themselves.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
BBC played St Laurences on the weekend and lost. News is that Ben Taur didn't play and is apparently injured for the season, which is a big blow on the goal of coming 6th.

Phare played in the seconds so I'm assuming Tom Barker has read GAGR and see's he's soft. Perhaps bring him on as a sub to fuck up some lineouts but that is all he will be good for. Nothing that wasn't predicted happened this weekend... as far as I can see anyway. Bring on the season.

W

Watcher

BGS played Villanova......any news? Churchie played BSHS...any news? TSS played Kings from Auckland in which I heard (albeit second hand) that TSS were smashed and suffered a number of season ending injuries for some....hopefully not as bad as what was portrayed to me.

T

TheTruth

BGS played Villanova......any news? Churchie played BSHS...any news? TSS played Kings from Auckland in which I heard (albeit second hand) that TSS were smashed and suffered a number of season ending injuries for some....hopefully not as bad as what was portrayed to me.

Also heard TSS got belted - suspected broken leg for UJ - this kid is potentialy the best kid to come out of that school for many years - have seen him play and a special talent

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also heard TSS got belted - suspected broken leg for UJ - this kid is potentialy the best kid to come out of that school for many years - have seen him play and a special talent

Big call considering Slipper, Simmons, Morahan, Tapps etc.

Hope that the injury isn't as bad as first thought as it is crule for players to miss out on their 1st XV season.

W

Watcher

Big call considering Slipper, Simmons, Morahan, Tapps etc.

Hope that the injury isn't as bad as first thought as it is crule for players to miss out on their 1st XV season.
Would have to agree with Jets. Most definitely talented but yet to be tested at GPS level and lets hope that UJ gets that opportunity this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.