• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas

BBC have got a massive lock from France, he's tall and well built but he's apparently a bit soft.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
BGS have picked up Cody Blackhurst, a hooker who played 16a's/ 1st XV for TSS last year. They've lost their three QLD schoolboy forwards, but their Aus A flyhalf Grant Davies stays around for another year. Lose a bit of size in the forward pack but gain in the backline. Likely to finish mid- table.

T

TheTruth

BGS have picked up Cody Blackhurst, a hooker who played 16a's/ 1st XV for TSS last year. They've lost their three QLD schoolboy forwards, but their Aus A flyhalf Grant Davies stays around for another year. Lose a bit of size in the forward pack but gain in the backline. Likely to finish mid- table.

Blackhurst quite a pickup at BGS but only because he wouldn't have made the TSS Firsts (hooker from 2010 is back this year) - am told a good kid with a lot of potential who should get some rep honours

W

Watcher

I believe he has previously played for QLD U15's and last year in the QLD U16's Red side. Got to wonder what else the kid had to do...

T

TheTruth

wandered past TSS training on the coast - boys there look very sharp but have to wait until some trials played to see how they go. Young PNG boy (front row) looks quicker than last year

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Blackhurst quite a pickup at BGS but only because he wouldn't have made the TSS Firsts (hooker from 2010 is back this year) - am told a good kid with a lot of potential who should get some rep honours

He played 4 1st XV games last year for TSS, so he'd certainly be in contention.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
BBC does have a huge lock back from an exchange in France, he's in my modern history class, apparently has huge potential but a bit soft. Other than lineouts, i wouldn't think he'd be overly dominant. Also new is Nick Fadden from the roundball section, very fit and very fast BUT no rugby background. Could be the dark horse of Mr. Barker's team. Players to look out for (bbc)

Ben Taur (was in last year)
Robert Lawless, captain of the 15a's last year and a hooker made of some staunch. English immigrant and is excellent in the loose, tackling rucking stripping support play all very good, and he is very very very fit.
Peter Jaffe (was in last year)

B

BGS Old Boy

It will be very interesting to see whether Tom Barker can lift the shambles that is and has been for a very long time, BBC Rugby. No doubt the School has had individuals like Genia and Horwill but as a program and as an indicator of School Spirit - Terrible. Tom will instill discipline and a real desire to represent the School, something they have lacked for eons. BBC v ACGS will be a cracker!

A

alc14

the other night ipswich played sunnybank colts, beat them pretty convinsingly apparently.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From what I hear it was a Sunnybank U18 team as the older players are not allowed to play against schoolboys due to the 2 year window. They also rested a few of their top players so I don't know what can be read into the result of this match.

O

OLDDOG

OK I've done my sniffing around, my prediction is:
1. BSHS
2. TSS
3. IGS
4. Nudgee
5. Churchie

Just an opinion of course... :)

B

BGS Old Boy

1. BSHS
2. TSS
3. IGS
4. Nudgee
5. Churchie

What makes you think State High at 1? They play TSS away as do Nudgee College and IGS; surely this is a massive advantage for TSS. I am interested to hear your thoughts.

StewP

Bob McCowan (2)
TGS was awful in there trial at Suncorp against St Eddies. By all accounts their coach wasn't happy with their performance.

W

Watcher

TGS was awful in there trial at Suncorp against St Eddies. By all accounts their coach wasn't happy with their performance.

That is surprising. I had heard that Gillie's had recruited well and had picked up a number of good prospects from S.A. that he had spotted whilst coaching the U16 Red side last year in Sydney.

T

Thomas

1. BSHS
2. TSS
3. IGS
4. Nudgee
5. Churchie

I can tell you know Nudgee is always the team to beat as not only do they have star players they also have the coaches and there game plans and tactics are of a very high level!

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
It will be very interesting to see whether Tom Barker can lift the shambles that is and has been for a very long time, BBC Rugby. No doubt the School has had individuals like Genia and Horwill but as a program and as an indicator of School Spirit - Terrible. Tom will instill discipline and a real desire to represent the School, something they have lacked for eons. BBC v ACGS will be a cracker!

He seems to be doing okay as a coach, changing the culture will take a bit of time, and he looks to be hard at work (I've been watching him getting people to sign up). His involvement means that the U16's (my age group) now have a decent coach / coordinator in Brett Shields (a.k.a. action man). That's an improvement, last year the coaching was abysmal - training was frankly terrible, no fun at all, no one instilled any commitments and half the time half the team would say bugger it and turn right to toowong village food court instead of going to wests...

They pulled some alright crowds last year, seem to play better when everyones watching (ACGS at suncorp) and then the terrace game which i swear had more people than some a-league games... They will be 7th or so on the table i'd say, but if Tom sticks around and changes things one team might even win for the first time since my brothers great under 13c side of 2006!

My Prediction:

1. Nudgee
2. TSS
3. BSHS
4. IGS
5. ACGS
6. BGS
789 in no order GT BBC TGS

B

BGS Old Boy

Will the move to Soccer in Term 2 next year and Rugby in Term 3 mean that rugby players will play soccer in Term 2 or will it mean that GPS boys will play for their local club and then start GPS in Term 3. It should provide an excellent lead up. Thoughts welcome.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Will the move to Soccer in Term 2 next year and Rugby in Term 3 mean that rugby players will play soccer in Term 2 or will it mean that GPS boys will play for their local club and then start GPS in Term 3. It should provide an excellent lead up. Thoughts welcome.

At this point the A teams and first squad will probably just train during term 2 and play some trials. The blokes in lower teams are probably free to play soccer if they want to.

I made a thread about it a while back: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/7346-Growing-QLD-Schoolboy-Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.