• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think its a tough call, Churchie should smash BGS, even though playing away.

Unlikely that they will smash them. BGS d IGS, IGS d BSHS easily and BSHS smashed TSS who drew with churchie in brisbane. I think the game will be alot closer than many think..Churchie will crawl over the line in this match, perhaps buzzer beater or last minute try. Will need to combat and neutralise the kicking games of Davies and Greene to stand any chance and not give away careless penalties within 40m of the posts. A win wont seal the premiership for Churchie either, Nudgee are starting to breathe heavily down on them as are Ipswich and their bogey team: state high. The later two are yet to play the boys in blue and grey and will be chomping at the bit for a chance to knock them off their perch. Sleep with one eye open Jonesy, I hope you rested you're players well last weekend, you're going to need each and every single one of them to step up to stand a chance of delivering an undefeated premiership. An outright premiership beckons, but is it possible for the silverware to return to a school that hasn't seen it, or really come within reaching distance of it since 2005 and the school's glory days consisting of two young men named David Pocock and Quade Cooper?

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Good analysis by Light - IGS v Nudgee game will be the end of the one team's hopes for the year - if IGS play like they did against BSHS they can win and being at home should be an advantage. Comes down to who is more consistent

The BBC v Downlands game will be cancelled in all likelihood as almost all of the Downlands 1sts will be in Caloundra playing for Darling Downs in the CSS trials - that school needs to be in a genuine competition not just playing the GPS schools on their bye. They would boost the AIC competition massively and then maybe the rep fixtures would get better credibility

C

czar01

if they have such young good young guns, why do they have a points against of over 150 and points for of less then 50??? surely 5 guys should be enough to bring respectability to scorelines

You would think so!

Two of the 5 are out of position (through necessity). They were two of the leading possession getters and best ruck exponents in 2010 first XV. Two of the other 5 are coming into their own but will shine next year.

The Terrace problems are many but one of the keys is possession. Against Ippy and Nudgee they won less than 20% of the ball. What ball they won was under pressure. If any school gives Ippy or Nudgee 80% possession you will get a 70 point shellacking. Against TGS they had close to 40%. Same with BBC. Results closer but not enough possession again and invariably poor field position (and execution) when they had it. So quality hardened aggressive skillful tight 5 forwards are a problem.

Defense is the other area of woe (yes...not a surprise !LOL!). Undersized and under-speed back line with some appalling technique by the majority. No excuse for the technique. Combine that with a sliding defense and it is painful to watch bigger, faster and more skillful sides tear them apart in the outside channels.

The few blokes up to standard can't be everywhere. The two first XV players of last year in Birgan/Ayala are doing more work in 25 minutes this year than they did in 70 last year. They are playing trying to play their new roles and their old ones all at the same time.Crookes is a cut above as well. Given at Fullback has his hands full facing 2-3 players through the line every 5-10 minutes.

If it is painful to watch....I can only guess what it is like to play in that team when you know that against the othertop sides this year (there are no other real duds), you are in for another hiding. They prepare hard. They put their body on the line (particularly these 5), some make upwards of 40 tackles a game and you still come back to the half way line every 7 minutes.

Hats off to you Benny Birgan and the few hard heads he has. They have all tasted success, are proud, talented and have not given up. We feel your pain and those who have played rugby know these are some of the darkest sporting days you will endure. Endure it well.

R

rozza_13

I wouldn't go that far, the gap between GPS and AIC is such that competition between the two is fairly lopsided, I'd pick Terrace even in what is a down year.

Birgan most certainly deserves a run at flanker in the trials, regardless of whether it be in the GPS 1's or 2's or CSS. If he were still at flanker, he would be the best in the competition. However he is doing his duty as captain and leading from outside his position, and all due credit to him.

mate, gps players cant be picked for CSS teams. and downlands firsts aren't playing this week as they are all at CSS trials for the week

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
mate, gps players cant be picked for CSS teams. and downlands firsts aren't playing this week as they are all at CSS trials for the week

I thought the CSS team stood for combine schools? acts as some kind of wildcard team of players who the selection panel believe deserve another chance to make Qld. Consists of GPS/AIC players and players from the CSS trials this weekend. And i know for a fact that number #7 last year for CSS was Josh Frater from ACGS.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought the CSS team stood for combine schools? acts as some kind of wildcard team of players who the selection panel believe deserve another chance to make Qld. Consists of GPS/AIC players and players from the CSS trials this weekend. And i know for a fact that number #7 last year for CSS was Josh Frater from ACGS.

That is at the National Championships - at the state trials, CSS covers the state high schools, TAS and independent colleges like Downlands who are not in designated competitions

W

WB15

thats cpmbined states champ

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Brisbane Grammar's 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 14 are current year 11 boys. To add to this, year 11 boys Lakehm Aiono and Joshua Birch suffered season ending injures- both expected to star throughout the 2011 First XV season. Furthermore, as a result of a red card against IGS, year 11 boy Andrew Saunders started at flanker. Moreover, the current 16A BGS age group have been one of BGS's strongest and most reputable A teams in recent. The team still has many other stars such as Harper and Burke to add to the side next year. Don't be surprised if BGS emerge stronger than ever in 2011.

Grammar's 16A's reputable? they haven't one a game buddy. and anyone who says alistair harper is better than luke harlow has got to be joking

C

Captain Crunch

This week is shaping up to be a good one, as is the case every week in GPS rugby these days. Undoubtedly the game of the week is between Churchie and Grammar. This will be a very tight game, Grammar are no doubt the underdog due to nothing other than their reputation over previous years. If it is anything like last year (Churchie scored a try in the dying moments) it will be a fantastic game. Both have strong forward packs and although Churchie have some game changes in the backline. I think as a unit grammar is a better team and I think they will continue their role as the giant killers of GPS. There game against Ipswich, from what I heard, was won off raw emotion as they had 14 men on the park for a large part of that game, if they can play with that same passion and keep their discipline then they will be tough to beat.

Grammar's 16A's reputable? they haven't one a game buddy. and anyone who says alistair harper is better than luke harlow has got to be joking

Currently, they are plagued with injuries and have copious first XV players missing. In the past, the team has been very strong. On the topic of Alistair Harper, you must be joking about Luke Harlow being better than him. Harper is a hard runner, very structured player who is talented in the breakdown and in general is very intelligent and talented rugby player.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All this talk of grammar's harlow v harper is getting a bit old . Neither player has been thrown into GPS 1 or 2 contention so could someone explain who they are? Who is in the grammar forward pack (particularly backrow), are there any workhorses around the breakdowns? I've been cruising the GPS forums and havent really read of any standouts from the grammar forward pack other than #8 Auma . Give me some names cause its going to take more than one?

Captain Crunch: "I think as a unit grammar is a better team and I think they will continue their role as the giant killers of GPS"
What justifies them standing a chance against one of the strongest Churchie forward packs in years or we just basing this on the back line plays of Davies and Greene?

C

chrisjj94

All this talk of grammar's harlow v harper is getting a bit old . Neither player has been thrown into GPS 1 or 2 contention so could someone explain who they are? Who is in the grammar forward pack (particularly backrow), are there any workhorses around the breakdowns? I've been cruising the GPS forums and havent really read of any standouts from the grammar forward pack other than #8 Auma . Give me some names cause its going to take more than one?

Captain Crunch: "I think as a unit grammar is a better team and I think they will continue their role as the giant killers of GPS"
What justifies them standing a chance against one of the strongest Churchie forward packs in years or we just basing this on the back line plays of Davies and Greene?

Bro, your just gonna have to show up to one of grammars first XV games and find out for yourself what makes Grammar tick. Many have been in awe at what they've managed to pull off, guess your next on the list.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bro, your just gonna have to show up to one of grammars first XV games and find out for yourself what makes Grammar tick. Many have been in awe at what they've managed to pull off, guess your next on the list.

Perhaps the hype is true, rest assured i will be there watching them this weekend. You clearly have alot of pride in you're school and BGS has so far, done all the right things to ensure themselves as contenders for the title, but I dont see them winning the trophy. Takes years of foundation building in this competition before any team wins the silverware, BGS is close and capable of upsetting teams such as TSS and State High, but teamwork alone is not going to pull them over the line against Churchie or Nudgee at this point.

F

fourgreatkids

Takes years of foundation building in this competition before any team wins the silverware, QUOTE]

i dont think this is right, the right coaching and a good list of players can go along way. winning is a culture and now that bgs has finally tasted it they surely do not want to go back to the old days

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm not one to speculate or assume and jump out with outrageous statements, but is it true that BGS #10 Grant Davies was taken off last weekend with suspected broken ankle? im sure its not bad to that extent but can anyone confirm if he is playing this weekend? Don't come grilling me over this post, but if this is the case, with the addition of 4 suspended players, grammar could end up on the end of a flogging. Anyone with ties with grammar who can verify or put to rest this rumour?

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Currently, they are plagued with injuries and have copious first XV players missing. In the past, the team has been very strong. On the topic of Alistair Harper, you must be joking about Luke Harlow being better than him. Harper is a hard runner, very structured player who is talented in the breakdown and in general is very intelligent and talented rugby player.
are you kidding me? harlow is quite possibly the best player at the breakdown to have ever played hooker, has an innate ability to break the first tackle, especially for his size, and is incredibly talented across the park

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wingers for GPS 1?

Most likely Ioane (acgs) and Hunt (NC). Other contenders include Vakuata (IGS), Goodrich (TGS), Van Swimmer (ACGS), Kallel (BBC), Khuu (BSHS).
First 2 are easily a cut above the rest unfortunately :|, Hunt would be the pick of them, Ioane strong kick returner and can find the line. hes still in grade 11 and needs to improve kicking game to make the same step up Digby did

R

RedandBlackAttack

On the recent "opinionated" arguments proposed against my predictions, I have decided to change one of my predictions. I know that many of you believe that the winning margin proposed for the terrace/state high game was rather far-fetched. Terrace have been less than impressive this year, and I will be the first to admit that. However; I had the opportunity to view some of their training today - and my WORD I was impressed. I believe the term the lads use nowadays is 'shots' and believe me, these lads were putting on 'shots' aplenty. They were really sticking it to each other, and with numerous external and internal factors changing, their game is even more likely to improve.

The key tenet for these boys to find it within themselves is belief. If they believe in their team, their actions, they have a decent shot of displacing state high and possibly placing their first 'W' on the board. That is why, on a rather sour note I am moving Terrace's victory to an UNLIKELY 3 points. Good luck to all teams this weekend, it should be a rather cracker of a weekend and I hope many 'shots' take place across the many schools competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.