• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iboughtfood

actually yes, consideration of the younger lads wasn't taken from grammar's perspective.. at least a top 5 finish i would admit

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
actually yes, consideration of the younger lads wasn't taken from grammar's perspective.. at least a top 5 finish i would admit

Agreed. Due to my association with BGS I acknowledge my opinion is somewhat biased, however a Top 5 finish is more than likely. Former Wallaby flanker Jules Gardner and former Reds assistant coach Damon Emtage have brought a very professional mindset to the team. For example, a QLD Schoolboys representative was dropped against Iona College for missing a training session. They've also got a skilled and experienced spine, including 2010 1st XV players Levi Aumua, Grant Davies, Blake Laud, Harry Theile and Jackson Cail. New faces Cody Blackhurst and Josh Birch are excellent additions to the squad, adding size, skill and more representative experience. After last years much improved efforts, including an extremely hard- fought contest against BSHS, expect a good year for Grammar Rugby.

H

hatman

GT have a small inexperience side, lacking ticker and pace in the backs. Picking players out of position is not the go in the Firsts. A recipe for disaster. Defintely wooden spooners

T

TheTruth

GT have a small inexperience side, lacking ticker and pace in the backs. Picking players out of position is not the go in the Firsts. A recipe for disaster. Defintely wooden spooners

Jeez Hatman - what do you really mean or did you miss selection in your preferred position LOL

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Saw last night's Suncorp curtain raisers.Post-match wrap up. NC got beaten by Churchie but won against TSS .....both games close but deeply unattractive rugby from all 3 teams............flowing backline plays a la the Ellas of the '70's just doesn't seem to happen these days............perhaps GPS coaches need to have a good hard look at themselves in light of the quality of rugby served up last night.....I wouldn't call it rubbish but damn close to it.....maybe I am a harsh critic but the reality was the wingers in all 3 sides hardly handled the ball .........one NC winger touched the ball maybe 3 times in 70 mins of playing time....not good enough....on one of those rare occasions he scored .....in the corner.............the highlight of an otherwise very ordinary night of GPS footy from a spectator point of view......... looks like if you are a winger in GPS rugby, unless you go looking for the ball, it's unlikely to come to you at the end of a sweeping backline move...hopefully all 3 sides stayed back to watch the REDs backs last night.........much better game (as you would expect)...........

I watched the last period of play between TSS and NC and have to agree that the skill level was down a bit. I was involved in some 1st XV coaching in 07-08 and these guys are a level down from that. To be fair though the last time I watched NC play JOC (James O'Connor) was in the team and I also got to see a TSS team with Slipper, Simmons, Lance, Tapui, Morahan's so it was a special time in GPS rugby. Didn't see anyone of that quality out there on Saturday night.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Being a GT old boy this is a sad situation for them to be in. One thing I will say is that picking players out of position at this level isn't uncommon and a lot of the time it is due to the coach having a better understanding of the game and seeing skills in players that will suit other positions. It happens at all levels of the game.
I have also seen many 1st XV teams that were written off before a game come out and beat fancied teams through enthusiasm and execution of a simple game plan.

H

hatman

No. Watched a relation (NC) play a trial against GT on 9 April & he knocks around with GT grade 12s

T

TheTruth

I watched the last period of play between TSS and NC and have to agree that the skill level was down a bit. I was involved in some 1st XV coaching in 07-08 and these guys are a level down from that. To be fair though the last time I watched NC play JOC (James O'Connor) was in the team and I also got to see a TSS team with Slipper, Simmons, Lance, Tapui, Morahan's so it was a special time in GPS rugby. Didn't see anyone of that quality out there on Saturday night.

That TSS team on 2006 and 2007 and the BSHS team in 2007 and 2008 were all special - reckon it will be many years before those teams are replicated - quite a few have gone on to bigger and better things. NC in 2007 (i think) had JOC (James O'Connor) and he was dynamite

B

bjtoby

That TSS team on 2006 and 2007 and the BSHS team in 2007 and 2008 were all special - reckon it will be many years before those teams are replicated - quite a few have gone on to bigger and better things. NC in 2007 (i think) had JOC (James O'Connor) and he was dynamite
The TSS & NC teams of '07-'08 and BSHS team of '09 were absolutely brilliant sides

D

Doc

I have also seen many 1st XV teams that were written off before a game come out and beat fancied teams through enthusiasm and execution of a simple game plan.

GT last year did just this. Very well coached defense, set piece and skills. Stuck to game plan and upset a few better sides.

Every couple of years there is a GPS 1st XV who stand up and surprise. I thought this year it would be TGS, but after early reports I'm not so sure.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Any standout players this year in GPS after Chris Sautia.

Heard their may be another of the hunt clan for Nudgee this year, Curtis Browning still eligible this year?

T

Thomas

I think there's 2 hunts this year. And Curtis Browning is injured not sure when he will be back though, I'm sure most schools hope Week 4, Term 3 though!

H

hammer

anyone know how knox went on their tour of qld against ips, tss and gt?

C

czar01

No. Watched a relation (NC) play a trial against GT on 9 April & he knocks around with GT grade 12s

That would be the game where GT coach removed his experienced players (not many mind you) and threw the remaining (including 6 year 11's) up against NC 1st XV. He did get to see who stood up in the face of a belting. Mission achieved.

While wooden spoon is a definate possibility the GT team will also likely improve more than most given they trained as a full side for the first time 4 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.