• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Apart from winning the First VIII, Nudgee haven't been overly succesful in rowing, similarly with churchie.

I disagree, Churchie, Nudgee and TSS have constantly been successful in both with members in both the 1st XV and 1st VIII.

Nudgee of the top of my head has won the Rowing in 03 and 2011, I was under the impression Nudgee won both Rugby and Rowing then?

Churchie won in 2005 where they won the rugby as well.

TSS have constantly won the Rowing and been highly competitive.

T

tranquility

Churchie also won the rowing in 2004, 2005, came second by a nose in 2006 and I believe they have won it again since then. They also won the rugby in 2003, and 2005 (both tied with Tss).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Churchie won the Old Boys Rowing last year (2010) Tranquility.

I think you guys are finding links that aren't really all that relevant. It's more to do with how much momentum the school has from previous sports and years, yes winning Rowing helps the school in Rugby but State High doesn't even compete in Rowing so I doubt that argument has that much merit.

Overall Churchie won the GPS cup last year and Nudgee has already sealed it for 2011, I'd argue that has more bearing on the rugby premiers as it takes into account all sports.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Churchie won the Old Boys Rowing last year (2010) Tranquility.

I think you guys are finding links that aren't really all that relevant. It's more to do with how much momentum the school has from previous sports and years, yes winning Rowing helps the school in Rugby but State High doesn't even compete in Rowing so I doubt that argument has that much merit.

Overall Churchie won the GPS cup last year and Nudgee has already sealed it for 2011, I'd argue that has more bearing on the rugby premiers as it takes into account all sports.

State High does compete in rowing, it's just not their strongest point. I take back what I did say about Churchie and Nudgee not being overly successful, that was just the case a few years ago when I did row and Terrace were winning nearly every weekend (not the case now).

Old Boys Cup 2011
Place
1st Nudgee 108
2nd Churchie 94
3rd TSS 92
4th Terrace 83
5th Grammar 57
6th BBC 47
7th State High 9

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not surprised, State High don't participate in rowing or sailing and have no interest in swimming, tennis, chess, debating, track & field or cross-country.

B

bottleneck

winner in 2012

with the work going into churchie rugby now, their 1st 15 looking very hard to beat ,not a weak point anywhere on the paddock.Tss only school capable of beating them but very unlikely

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's great for Churchie but as we all no a season is not won in October. These guys will be having a massive preseason considering the GPS season isn't starting until term 3 next year.

Also welcome on board bottleneck.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jets, I agree, it will certainly be interesting to see how they approach the season in term 3 rather than term 2. Preparation will be key, coaches will probably be encouraging these boys not to participate in soccer and other term 2 sports.

Upon reading my previous comments I think it was a little too early to be predicting next year, it's impossible to know what players are staying and leaving the schools, who might get injured and whatnot. It's too early to predict but I think one thing is becoming very clear about this competition, and that is that to win you must have great depth. To survive the 8 weeks without significant injuries to vital players is increasingly important, where the bye falls is also of great importance. As there won't be a holiday in the middle, teams will be required to play matches in consecutive weeks, meaning recovery and rest will be of greater importance than previous years. As we have seen in the world cup so far, your second best player in each position must be ready to step up when given the jersey, if there is any difference in skill or fitness, the opposition will find it out.

Depth and recovery are just as important as skill now and I think alot of teams will get found out.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Im looking forward to the later start to the season. I expect we will see much better drilled teams. My only quam with the new set up is that it will be harder for the provinces to identify talent early and stop blokes getting poached by league.

I was a bit surprised to find my comment about churchie was deleted for being inappropriate. All I will say is that I'm sure their centenary year will be a fruitful one on the sporting field.

Anyone care to post up the new importing rules in the scholarships thread.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I was a bit surprised to find my comment about churchie was deleted for being inappropriate. All I will say is that I'm sure their centenary year will be a fruitful one on the sporting field.

Anyone care to post up the new importing rules in the scholarships thread.

Very touchy topic, aye Bowside.
In regards to your second sentence I know for a fact this is true, for someone with a interest in the school itself (as an old boy and now father) I hear plenty of the conversation that goes on regarding this issue. It's near impossible to win a trophy now without that kind of assistance, even throughout the coaching ranks, you only have take a look at the director of rugby at the school to see what's going on. Regardless it's not a one horse race nor anything that can be blamed on any particular school, it's old boys with financial interest in the school that pressure the rugby program to achieve, not the school itself. Although relevant, it's not the only deciding factor in the premiership. I look on the whole issue for it's positives rather than negatives.

I haven't heard too much regarding the scholarship rules (sorry for use of the s word), I do remember hearing that they are post-2012 and thus we will see similar patterns to previous years. 2013 will be interesting when they actually kick in, if what information I have is correct. Probably all that can be said on the matter at this point, things will clear up early next year.

B

bottleneck

can we get some chat going

Jets, I agree, it will certainly be interesting to see how they approach the season in term 3 rather than term 2. Preparation will be key, coaches will probably be encouraging these boys not to participate in soccer and other term 2 sports.

Upon reading my previous comments I think it was a little too early to be predicting next year, it's impossible to know what players are staying and leaving the schools, who might get injured and whatnot. It's too early to predict but I think one thing is becoming very clear about this competition, and that is that to win you must have great depth. To survive the 8 weeks without significant injuries to vital players is increasingly important, where the bye falls is also of great importance. As there won't be a holiday in the middle, teams will be required to play matches in consecutive weeks, meaning recovery and rest will be of greater importance than previous years. As we have seen in the world cup so far, your second best player in each position must be ready to step up when given the jersey, if there is any difference in skill or fitness, the opposition will find it out.

Depth and recovery are just as important as skill now and I think alot of teams will get found out.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I see that the BJRU are changing their program for U16 & U17 players for 2012 with the hope more school players participate. Would be nice if this happens but I know of at least one 1st Xv coach who has told his players not to be involved.

bigpapaG

Frank Nicholson (4)
Churhie First XV
1.Jack Leamon
3.Ethan Machin
4.Sebastian Georgiou
5.Luke Shepherd
6.Michael Gunn
7.Digger MacMillian
8.Lochey Oppenheimer
9.Darcy Eason
10.James Watson
11.Alex West
12.Angus McClanahan
13.Monty Ioane
14.Dean Van Heteren Swemmer
15.Moses Clarke Give him a chance in fullback

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I see that the BJRU are changing their program for U16 & U17 players for 2012 with the hope more school players participate. Would be nice if this happens but I know of at least one 1st Xv coach who has told his players not to be involved.

Yep, most 1st XV coaches would be against a player playing in the club competition and competing for school. Unless they are trying to prove fitness for the following week and are willing to get club membership for that, the risk of injury is too high.

Bigpapa G - Looks a very strong team on paper, Gunn and MacMillan are both openside flankers which will be interesting to see. Both tend to play in the tight stuff and go through a mountain of work, but I haven't seen both on the field at once in a while. Clarke has been played at fullback in the past (13A's?) and just doesn't look strong under the high ball. He doesn't rely on the elusiveness you see from a Beale, let alone a return kick of any sort. Just relies on pace and size, sure it worked for a very long time, but by this age opposition have worked out how to tackle properly and he will be brought down without doing any damage. I don't know who else they have but their game plan is easy to work out with him at the back. Looking forward to the Eason-Watson combination we saw for much of the year, experienced and reliable players.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
IGS rugby has come on in leaps and bounds in the past 3 seasons or so, I can remember when they were the laughing stock of the GPS. In 2011 they derailed Churchie's chances of a premiership and it's fair to say they have turned into a real dark horse in the competition. Whether or not they will be up in the top 3 or 4 next year remains to be seen but this coaching improvement would surely have to help. One advantage they have is a large player pool to select from and due to geographical location they tend to pick up a lot of rugby league players who are good in the forwards and have speed to burn in the backs. Prime examples of this were Tasi and Bowen who played #8 and #15 respectively this year and both went on to represent QLD and CSS.

I look forward to bigger and better things from them next year, there will be no easy-beats in this competition. BSHS, NC, ACGS, TSS, BGS and IGS are all contenders in my eyes and I would expect the premiers to come from there. TGS look to be improving and thankfully so. I was having a chat with my old man about their dominance of GPS rugby in the early days of the competition and he was shocked that they rarely leave the bottom of the table nowadays. Terrace and BBC will fight it out for the spoon but I think BBC looks the weaker of the two based on 2011 results in 1st XV and throughout the 16's and 15's.

Status
Not open for further replies.