• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
i hear bbc though scouted 2 qld under 16 players.

Correct, they are now in the boarding house as of term 4. I believe they are playing in the backline but will look into it to check, but I have definately seen two new rugby players about the school.

It's going to be another tight year, who is the standout team? Id put them into two groups at the moment. TGS BBC and GT to fight for 7 8 and 9, the rest to have a chance of taking the cake.

I was impressed by your post

Debating mate, debating. Lost to BGS in the state semi finals and was not a happy chap though.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Probably not but the culture is beginning to change i think anyway. A Couple of good players but the team lacks size and strength. Good halfback but no one really standing up as a standout flyhalf... No real combinations in the backs (although the two new players could change that if they work well.) The biggest strength of the team should be the scavenging of hood, Lawless' fitness around the park and workrate. Tarr should do well however there is a bit of ambiguity as to what kind of prop Barker is looking for in him. He put on 10 Kg (doing weights) last off season and then Barker told him to get it off him as he wanted him more mobile. Intesting

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here it is folks hot off the presses - the GPS Rugby Draw for 2012

Round 1 21/7 IGS v TSS, BBC v NC, TGS v ACGS, BGS v BSHS, GT Bye
Round 2 28/7 ACGS v NC, BSHS v BBC, GT v IGS, BGS v TGS, TSS v Bye
Round 3 4/8 NC v TSS, BBC v ACGS, IGS v BSHS, TGS v GT, BGS Bye
Round 4 11/8 TSS v ACGS, NC v BSHS, BBC v GT, IGS v BGS, TGS Bye
Round 5 18/8 BSHS v TSS, GT v NC*, BGS v BBC, TGS v IGS, ACGS Bye
Round 6 25/8 TSS v TGS, NC v IGS, ACGS v BGS, BSHS v GT, BBC Bye
Round 7 1/9 BGS v TSS, TGS v NC, IGS v BBC, GT v ACGS, BSHS Bye
Round 8 8/9 TSS v BBC, ACGS v IGS, BSHS v TGS, GT v BGS, NC Bye
Round 9 15/9 TSS v GT, NC v BGS, BBC v TGS, ACGS v BSHS, IGS Bye
* = Tipping Nudgee to lose this one against the odds. Previous three opponents are ACGS, BSHS, TSS, 2 of which are away. Have IGS and TGS away following this match so expect a few upsets

Whilst speculating, it is very important to look at the draw when predicting results for next year. We saw in both 2010 and '11 that home advantage can be the deciding factor between two pretty equal teams. My thoughts on each teams performances at home and away

BSHS - Bad travellers, always a strong team but just don't get the away crowds they should get for being the largest school in the GPS. Even in premiership winning years the motivation for the students isn't there and I think it cost them dearly in 2011. At home they are very beatable, Fursden road is no fortress and Churchie showed how to win there comfortably. Strengths: Forwards, psychology, know how to win. Weaknesses: Depth not there to last 9 rounds, no real individual standouts, Nudgee, TSS, ACGS.

Nudgee - Are beatable at home but have to be having a very bad day. You wouldn't bet your house on them losing away either just quietly, look shaky against BSHS and TSS but have the majority of teams' measures. ACGS will be their big task in 2012. Strengths: Hard to beat at home, skillful, physical. Weaknesses: Experience, depth, ACGS, tough draw.

TSS - Very good at home, the trip down the coast seems to take away something from travelling teams and when the TSS army shows up they are as vocal as they come. That stupid shark fires them all up and in front of a very loyal old boy following they are tough to beat. Can falter away from home and travelling must hurt them if done in consecutive weeks. Strengths: Strong at home, good forward pack, elusive backs. Weaknesses: Depth, no real individual standouts, experience, Nudgee, BSHS.

ACGS - Great at home, good away. 100th year so expect the home crowds to be in the 1000's, away from home they will be rallying the students to support and will probably be more vocal than 2011. Nudgee, IGS and BSHS at home will favour them but TSS away looks to be their bogey match and probable premiership decider, this team is far too consistent to lose to any of the other teams at home or away. Strengths: Depth, experience, crowd, speed, backs. Weaknesses: Forward pack, ability to close out tight games, TSS away.

GT - The GT army is my most respected of the crowds, at home or away. Win, lose or draw they get behind the boys and carry the struggling team. Their annual match with Nudgee is always a great prospect and GT will see next year as an opportunity for an upset after years of domination by the blue and white. Expect them to struggle away from Tennyson though. Strengths: Plenty to build on from last year, experience, back line combinations, crowd. Weaknesses: Psychology of winning games, skill, depth, every other team.

BGS - IMO the weakest team at home, Northgate just isn't the field for vocal crowds and creates no real atmosphere. In saying that, their clash this year with Churchie was one of the best matches in the last few years of the competition but they just don't seem to draw energy from the crowd. Away from home they are hot and cold, when hot though they will be a hard team to beat. Momentum is their secret to success in 2012, a bad start and it's all over. Strengths: Starting XV, experience, unpredictable, depth. Weaknesses: Premiership monkey on the back, skill, physicality, mentality, ACGS, don't travel well.

TGS - The trip up the mountains to Toowoomba seems to leave a lot of teams flat and this works to their advantage, at home they are strong but away is another story. They can't seem to foster the support away from home and this is primarily due to crowds not willing to travel, that being said the boarders have the ability to create an atmosphere like no other when at home. Strengths: At home, improving by game, physicality, forward pack. Weaknesses: travel, strategy, depth, experience.

BBC - Hot and cold when it comes to vocal supporters but the highlander has a unique ability to fire up the boys in green and black. They haven't performed well away from home for the past few seasons and next year will probably struggle both home and away. They will fancy themselves at home against TGS with the country boys having to come down the mountain in the middle of winter after a tough game against BSHS. Strengths: coach, skill, crowd. Weaknesses: depth, travel, every other team.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
it'd take a miracle for terrace to beat nudgee next year. that miracle may come in the glorious land that is tennyson

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
it'd take a miracle for terrace to beat nudgee next year. that miracle may come in the glorious land that is tennyson

Very true but after playing Churchie and BSHS away and TSS at home, Nudgee will be the walking wounded. They have without doubt the toughest draw and will even if they win 2 of the 3 games (TSS and BSHS likely) they will be lucky to have XV fit players. They don't appear to have the depth of previous years and a fired up Terrace at home might just be one ask too many, you have to remember this is a derby match which has been tradition for the last 100 odd years and a match that Terrace will dare to dream winning. Even if Nudgee come away with a win they will run into Ipswich at Ross Oval and then have to travel up to Toowoomba for a physical encounter against TGS the following week.

Even if they win 4 of those games they will be relying on other teams to lose including Churchie, BSHS, IGS and TSS. The odds are against them, if they can win with that draw it will be one of the greatest premiership teams in a very, very long time. To be brutally honest, it doesn't look it on paper.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
On Northgate, I agree with light, its flat, dull and uninviting, wide and open and there is no real chance for any atmosphere. It's also on the far North side of town. IMO they lost a lot of southside enrollments when they moved their (for example dad is a Grammar old boy but I go to BBC because there is no way we can go to Northgate every 2nd week). Compare the atmosphere with say Miskin oval and it feels like your right on top of the action, when there are big crowds the walkries reverberate off the hill. Anyway GT have a chance of beating Nudgee at home, they came close at halftime this year, provided that it doesn't flood again (and thus the soil get covered in poop) they will have the home advantage. Would love to see them fire up and get that done!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was wondering who the returning players are next year from the GPS representative teams, any I've missed or not in the GPS anymore?
GPS 1.
Dan Preen - IGS
Jack Tuttle - NC

GPS 2.
Jack Cornelsen - BGS
Monty Ioane - ACGS

GPS 3.
Will Shipperly - NC
Dean Van Heteran - ACGS
Ben Tarr - BBC
Logan Tibbetts - BSHS

And from the QLD U/16 teams.

QLD RED

Daniel Anae - Nudgee College
Sam Clifton - TSS
Mikey Dyring - BBC
Netinili Fielea - TSS
Henry Fitzgerald - Nudgee College
Pat Ivey - TGS
Adam Korzyck - BSHS
Alex Mafi - Nudgee College
Douglas McMillan - ACGS
Jonah Placid - TGS
Aaron Pleash - IGS
Phillip Potgieter - TGS
Jayden Rodwell - Nudgee College
Dylan Sikimeti - Nudgee College
Jack Tuttle - Nudgee College

QLD WHITE

Stuart Bougoure - TGS
Riley Brennan - Nudgee College
James Dalgleash - GT
Nic Fordyce - Nudgee College
Adam Gauder - TSS
Michael Gunn ACGS
Luke Harlow - GT
Landon Hayes - IGS
Braedon Hood - BBC
Robert Lawless - BBC
Paulo Leleisiuao - Nudgee College
Dimitri Loukaras - BSHS
Connor Mulheron - IGS
Daniel Preen - IGS
Benroy Sala - BSHS
Mitch Third - TSS
James Tuttle - Nudgee College
Alex West - ACGS

B

bottleneck

On Northgate, I agree with light, its flat, dull and uninviting, wide and open and there is no real chance for any atmosphere. It's also on the far North side of town. IMO they lost a lot of southside enrollments when they moved their (for example dad is a Grammar old boy but I go to BBC because there is no way we can go to Northgate every 2nd week). Compare the atmosphere with say Miskin oval and it feels like your right on top of the action, when there are big crowds the walkries reverberate off the hill. Anyway GT have a chance of beating Nudgee at home, they came close at halftime this year, provided that it doesn't flood again (and thus the soil get covered in poop) they will have the home advantage. Would love to see them fire up and get that done!

B

bottleneck

your right that huge trip to northgate can be very draining.and when you get there the walk from the carpark to your oval can get mum and dad a little frazzeld not to mention little johnny

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Was wondering who the returning players are next year from the GPS representative teams, any I've missed or not in the GPS anymore?
GPS 1.
Dan Preen - IGS
Jack Tuttle - NC

GPS 2.
Jack Cornelsen - BGS
Monty Ioane - ACGS

GPS 3.
Will Shipperly - NC
Dean Van Heteran - ACGS
Ben Tarr - BBC
Logan Tibbetts - BSHS

Cody Blackhurst- BGS (GPS 3)

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Far out. This is some serious shiznit in this thread right here. I see no more thoughtful analysis in the discussions about Super teams, or the Wallabies. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or a litttle scared. Probably both. The thought that this sort of scrutiny will be applied to my boys (assuming they rise to the task) and their teams is, interesting.

What I would like to see is some discussion about the B's, C's and D's. Plenty of Rugby mad parents with Rugby loving kids who aren't superstars. They still go out and play for a win every weekend right? Maybe a new thread for Queensland GPS 2012 Second Tier Terrors? :)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
sorry but i dont think thats going to happen

Sad reflection of society, but he is right. If schools placed as much importance on their B,C,D teams as they do on their A teams the motivation to play the sport would probably be higher than it already is and the standard of lower grade teams would be higher than it is now.

Unlikely to happen any time soon though and reasonably so, I think the A teams reflect the schools' skill levels appropriately. I only think it's a bad thing for the tournament when the 1st XV side is the only team in the school to win games and the B,C,D teams get thrashed week in, week out. With the dominance of Nudgee and TSS came depth and success across the board, Churchie followed suit and TGS and BGS are starting to develop the winning attitude throughout all teams rather than just the showpiece divisions.

It worries me when I see State High win the Open premiership with a team full of QLD players and yet not one other team in the school comes close to winning their division. Everyone automatically assumes that the following year they will be weaker and yet they somehow always manage to field a very strong 1st XV with no importance placed on creating depth or a winning culture.

We as arm-chair critics are equally as bad, I would love to say I care about the lower teams in the competition but truth be told the lower divisions are dominated by stronger financially equipped schools and the score lines are what you would expect during the term 1 cricket season. I may be passionate about rugby and happy to follow my sons 'E' team but if asked for a reflection of the schools' rugby program all eyes turn to the 1st XV and in some cases the 16A's, anything lower than that and it would be lucky to make the school year book.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I'm just a bit surprised that there's no-one even interested in talking about it - even if it's just for $h!ts and giggles. I mean by definition, there are more players and parents in the lower divisions, I thought there might be some indication they wanted to talk about the players and games they are involved with. Maybe there's another forum for that. Maybe only those with kids at the "elite" level are that interested in allocating internet time to the subject.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it's all relative, the ones with the interest in the schoolboy level are the same ones who are interested at a national level. If you have a son who is perhaps 'elite' you are going to be finding out information about possible pathways and possibly even keeping tabs on players in positions similar to your son. The 1st XV is the showpiece and the only game which actually gets a reasonable amount of supporters and old boys, it's the common game that both spectator and players watch and thus most people can make conversation about. Anyone who has had a kid in the C-E team would know how hard it is to tell a story about an amazing try or brilliant individual with potential, if it happens in the 1st XV game suddenly the kid is brought up in conversation throughout super rugby circles.

Not saying the way the system works is right, but I think there is some logic behind it and even if the only people talking on forums are parents of 'elite' sportsman than so be it, as long as there is no talking up or bias in comments I don't mind reading them. We have to recognise that it is somewhat contributing to the growth of the game and that's what we all want.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I don't see it as a problem, just wasn't what I expected. When you think about it, it makes sense. It is what it is. Parents with kids playing b's might be hoping he has a crack at the A's, but parents with kids in the c's and d's is probably happy little Johnny is playing a team sport, enjoying the game and the camraderie and learning the lessons Rugby can teach a young fella at any level.

B

bottleneck

after years of critisism terrace are changing their tune on rugby imports>

Status
Not open for further replies.