• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
My preview for this week:

TGS V IGS

Toowoomba versus Ipswich is the biggest game of the week in my view, with both sides so far having posted strong performances in 2012. Ipswich have arguably been, to use a super rugby analogy, the Stormers of the GPS, getting the job done week after week by a low amount. Their workaholic forward pack has set a strong platform up front so far this season and if successful they will win on the back of that effort. TGS smashed rivals Downlands in a top of the shelf (or range) display of rugby last week and bring to this game a big run of form. They finished clinically and had some aggressive hitting going on. At home TGS's backline should see them home by 1 - 7.

GT V Nudgee

Terrace are coming in full of confidence after their first win in two years against an injury depleted BBC last week. Nudgee however are at full strength with the return of Tuttle and co. Terrace need to improve their execution at the breakdown and around the park to have a chance here, and Dalgleish needs to control the game very well. GT forwards played well last week and the best chance they have is for their backs to defend heroically and their forwards turn it into a battle of attrition up front.

Nevertheless, Nudgee by 15 in my books, with two much firepower in the backline and a big platform to be set up front. Terrace will fight hard but run out of gas mid way through the second half.

TSS V BSHS

Everyone knows the finish for this one. TSS are in red hot form and should dominate the encounter. BSHS have very little going for them this season. Look out for TSS #14 who was deadly against Churchie.

TSS by 35

BGS V BBC

Both teams are coming off a defeat last week, against IGS and GT respectively. Sam Greene still played well by all reports, however it appeared Grammar lacked a killer instinct. BBC however are without Hood, Kallel, Junior, Conrad and Collins (sick), and thus lack firepower up front and in the midfield. These are all key players and without them BBC lack the spine they've used to be competitive against Nudgee, and come close to victories against Churchie, Terrace. Grammar by 15 -20.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
16A table after round4

BSHS 6
TSS 6
TGS 5
BGS 4
NC 4
GT 4
ACGS 2
IGS 1
BBC 0

Interesting that State High are on top.
Have made the changes, thanx Refabit.
BSHS webpage has them on 7 pts.
NC12 BSHS 15 (Round4) was unexpected

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Some food for thought guys, would anyone like to comment on the amount of injuries at First XV level? It's akin to professional rugby with the amount of games players are missing. I know for example that here at BBC we are missing Hood, Junior and Quick for the season, who are essentially our three best players. Why is it that the higher up in the game of rugby we go the more injuries we get? Is it because players are pushing themselves harder in training? Is it because the hits are tougher and the game longer?

When we compare levels of professionalism it always seems that the closer you get to Amateur the less injuries. How many times do you see a kid walking off with an ankle injury at 14c level? I know I've played rugby as a low team player for 12 years and I can't say I've ever missed a game with injury. Was there less injuries at a national level etc in the Amateur days? It's disappointing not just at schoolboy level but at SupeRugby and indeed the Wallabies to see so many players constantly on the injury toll.

The game at 1st XV is much more physical and faster than lower levels. The amount of training and strain these guys put on their bodies...something has to give. Particularly also when their bodies are still growing. And being a short season doesn't help. If you miss 2 games that's a quarter of the season gone.

T

tightfive

BGS knocked off BSHS in 1st round so they cant be on 7 points.
Also they haven't played Churchie or TSS so some tough games to come.
No one has beaten Toowoomba either.
Correct BGS beat BSHS RD 1 11-7 - BGS, TSS, TGS undefeated - though BGS 2 draws - Why are Nudgee struggling in 16As this year? Is their depth being stretched by the 1st XV?

Groundwork

Frank Row (1)
TSS d BSHS by 30+
BGS d BBC - 10
IGS d TGS - 5
GT d NC - 0-5 (who doesn't like an upset)

I am an avid follower of the great GPS and have been for the past 8 years. If anybody has learnt anything from this season it is to expect the unexpected. This week I have decided to reside at Tennyson which I believe is one of the strongest playing fields in the GPS, not only for the 1st XV but for all ages. As Saturday supposedly marks the 're-opening' of Tennyson, I am backing the men of the Red and Black to put up a concerted fight with the historic foes from Nudgee College. Expecting crowds of 8000+ this match will be like no other. I wouldn't be surprised by an upset.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
I think most schools are feeling the impact of injuries. BBC has probably been one of the worst schools effected, but Churchie and BGS are not far behind. Churchie lost their best player, Nigel Tanuvasa, in round two for the season, and many other players in that team are carrying injuries while playing. BGS are also missing Andrew Saunders and Nick Anderson with what looks like season injuries as well. Nudgee were without Tuttle for a game due to injury and lost that convincingly. Serious injuries happen every year in the GPS, and schools with the most depth are able to cover them well.

As well as BGS hooker Cody Blackhurst.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
That is a huge loss for grammar they looked to have the front row all sorted at the start of the season, could this affect there near perfect run so far?

It's a dilemma Grammar have in front of him. Both Nick Anderson and Cody Blackhurst have been the strong foundation up front since 2011 so its a major loss but is filled very comfortably by Alister Harper throwing the goods and Nick Newton on the side.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
It's a dilemma Grammar have in front of him. Both Nick Anderson and Cody Blackhurst have been the strong foundation up front since 2011 so its a major loss but is filled very comfortably by Alister Harper throwing the goods and Nick Newton on the side.

Thats two players front row consists of three and you need a fourth on the bench unfortunately grammar aren't known for their depth in rugby.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Thats two players front row consists of three and you need a fourth on the bench unfortunately grammar aren't known for their depth in rugby.
Front row this weekend is:
1. Nick Newton
2. Al Harper (started every game)
3. Anthony Fatseas (started every game)

Blackhurst, from what I have heard, should only be out for this round. Grammar's depth has been tested so far, but it has proven not to be a great issue.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
GT 1st XV starting lineup

Luke Harlow, Tom Mellor, Robbie Green, Isaac French, Bill Ovenden, Daniel Pepper, Toby McNamee, Daniel Sitanilei, Angus Fowler, James Dalgleish (Captain), Joe Jenkins, Chris Larosa, Jack Heenan, Lachlan O'Rourke, Tom Given.

NC starting lineup as per program(Aug18)

1.Postal
2.Mafi
3.Wessels
4.Fordyce
5.Speldewinde
6.Jones
7.Fitzgerald
8.Rodwell
9.Tweedy
10.James
11.Tenakanai
12.James Tuttle
13.Deshon
14.Hussey
15.Jack Tuttle(C)

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
With my predictions I had a perfect week last week tipping 4/4 which now makes me 11/16 for the season.

Southport will beat State High

It doesn't take a lot of thinking to figuring out who will win this match. The only question is by how much.

Ippy will beat Toowoomba

Toowoomba's biggest weapon is their ability to counter attack Ipswich should try to avoid kicking the ball as it will often take defenses at least 20 meters to bring down Placid when he is given space. Ipswich have the advantage in the forwards with out a doubt and will try and exploit that. I hope the Ipswich front row will be able to last a full game as it is pathetic watching uncontested scrums at first XV level.

Grammar will beat College

I believe that BBC has suffered the most out of any team in the competition with injurys and have been really struggling to find first XV level players to replace them, they have had to reshuffle their forward back and their back line because of the lack of depth in certain positions which I think will hurt them when they come up against when of the top tire teams like grammar. I haven't actually seen grammar play but from what I have heard their back line lead by Sam Greene has been unreal. I expect grammar to get up by a lot this weekend.

Terrace to beat Nudgee

I know what you are thinking that i am an idiot but so far this season there has been upset/s every round and this upset seems to be very far fetched but terrace is certain to bring in a huge amount of supporters. As well as this terrace has come off a win against BBC and the two teams had a close scoreline in the trials where Nudgee came out victorious. This will be the game of the week simply because of the history of the two schools and how evenly matched these two teams were in the trials however I am tipping terrace to have their nose in front come the final whistle

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I live nearby Reg and I'm a neutral but don't think I can get there, too much work on. Should be a cracker of a game, is it being filmed as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.