• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Dear Will. I respect your considered opinion but if :
1) Third is not GPS 1 flyhalf ;and
2) TSS do not have more GPS 1 players than any other school,
Then I will go to Valley Ink with Digby and get a tattoo that says"Will was right"
As for the GPS premiership - I am content for time to prove me right. Just so you are aware- this is not an emotional decision: I do not support TSS.

Dear Will.As i predicted-Third at Flyhalf and the GPS1 team dominated by TSS.I could say "I told you so" but I won't, when shall I book you in for that tattoo??

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
You mentioned Horan twice but as I understand terrace were trailing Dalgliesh at 9 and Fowler at 10. Fowler didn't play too well at 10 but Dalgliesh was giving some brilliant ball to both Fowler and his forward runners I would be disappointed if he gets dropped after that performance. That wing said Horan had an outstanding game in the 16 A's. tough decisions ahead for coach Gibb. Also no McNamee, no Hiale. Terrace backline looked better than churchies that being said Nigel didn't play. Terrace couldn't compete against a churchie pack missing their star Digger Macmillan. It will be interesting to see if, with a healthy forward pack, what schools will Terrace be able to match upfront?

Picked up a nephew from Tennyson on Saturday arvo and saw the last parts of the ACGS-GT trial. This said, I can't comment on what kickbackkid saw earlier on in the battle of the backs. All I'll say is that it will need to be a very interesting defensive pattern that shuts down Tanuvasa and Parese being fed by Mason when Churchie gets all their men on the field. Parese came on late and was very good. Tanuvasa isn't back yet and MacMillan will lend starch to a pack which had the equal of GT. GT has some big guys, #1 and #3 and #13 especially but GT didn't get enough from them in the 15-20 mins I saw. I said TSS for the premiership before and I'll stick with it but if ACGS get some momentum, that could be one of the matches of the season too. Trials are trials, don't anyone get too carried away...... yet.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
BSHS seem to be caught off guard by the intensity of BBC in the first half allowing BBC to run through quite a few gaps in their defence for some easy tries. However, to their credit BSHS lifted their intensity and were much more competetive in a somewhat "fiery" second half that saw only one try scored, injuries on both sides and a yellow and red card issued.

Final score was 7 tries to nil in favour of BBC.My summary is:
1_)BBC played it's number 1 side missing 3 players (Saunder 1st xv hooker last year/ ,Quick GPS rep 13 last year and Karem new 7 from gold coast titans)All were replaced by under 16 players;
2)so it looks like BBC will field a very young team with 2 in grade 10 and 7 in grade 11;
3)having said that, as they lined up BBC looked much bigger than BSHS especially in backs where Nathan Russellmust now be 95kg and new Fullback (from NZ)Wilkins looking like a youg Chris F/Sautia with those massive thighs;
3) the opening kick off by BBC mirrored the whole first half-BSHS took it in but Bronson T counter-rucked and after about 10 phases Bowen threw a cut-out pass to Wilkins who strolled through.;
4) 1st half was 6 tries to nil -3tries by Wilkins all cut-out passes by Bowen;I agree with the above post that BSHS looked shocked at the intensity of BBC and 3 tries were scored in the 1st 5 minutes.BBC also got 2 tight heads.

5)Bowen dominated and looked like a player who both the Storm and Broncos are chasing.But on 2 occassions he overplayed his hand and made length of the field runs only to be stopped when he had players in support.
Best player for BSH was number 3,

I left at half time .BBC scored a 2nd half try but I hear Bowen was sent off and the match deteriorated when both teams sent bench players on.

In summary -if Bowen is not in a rep team the the rumours are true and he has already signed with Storm or Broncos.BBC have a very exciting backline but looking at 2nds and 16A team will again lack depth if ,like last year,they have a large injury toll. I hear thet picked up 3 more injuries.If they can keep Wilkins and the rest of them then next year they could be strong.They need to get Conrad Quick back on the field as they have no depth at o/c or hooker.

dark

Frank Row (1)
Picked up a nephew from Tennyson on Saturday arvo and saw the last parts of the ACGS-GT trial. This said, I can't comment on what kickbackkid saw earlier on in the battle of the backs. All I'll say is that it will need to be a very interesting defensive pattern that shuts down Tanuvasa and Parese being fed by Mason when Churchie gets all their men on the field. Parese came on late and was very good. Tanuvasa isn't back yet and MacMillan will lend starch to a pack which had the equal of GT. GT has some big guys, #1 and #3 and #13 especially but GT didn't get enough from them in the 15-20 mins I saw. I said TSS for the premiership before and I'll stick with it but if ACGS get some momentum, that could be one of the matches of the season too. Trials are trials, don't anyone get too carried

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)
1_)BBC played it's number 1 side missing 3 players (Saunder 1st xv hooker last year/ ,Quick GPS rep 13 last year and Karem new 7 from gold coast titans)All were replaced by under 16 players;
2)so it looks like BBC will field a very young team with 2 in grade 10 and 7 in grade 11;
3)having said that, as they lined up BBC looked much bigger than BSHS especially in backs where Nathan Russellmust now be 95kg and new Fullback (from NZ)Wilkins looking like a youg Chris F/Sautia with those massive thighs;
3) the opening kick off by BBC mirrored the whole first half-BSHS took it in but Bronson T counter-rucked and after about 10 phases Bowen threw a cut-out pass to Wilkins who strolled through.;
4) 1st half was 6 tries to nil -3tries by Wilkins all cut-out passes by Bowen;I agree with the above post that BSHS looked shocked at the intensity of BBC and 3 tries were scored in the 1st 5 minutes.BBC also got 2 tight heads.

5)Bowen dominated and looked like a player who both the Storm and Broncos are chasing.But on 2 occassions he overplayed his hand and made length of the field runs only to be stopped when he had players in support.

I left at half time .BBC scored a 2nd half try but I hear Bowen was sent off and the match deteriorated when both teams sent bench players on.

In summary -if Bowen is not in a rep team the the rumours are true and he has already signed with Storm or Broncos.BBC have a very exciting backline but looking at 2nds and 16A team will again lack depth if ,like last year,they have a large injury toll. I hear thet picked up 3 more injuries.If they can keep Wilkins and the rest of them then next year they could be strong.They need to get Conrad Quick back on the field as they have no depth at o/c or hooker.

I have had the chance to watch Bowen play some pretty high standard of football and as much as I would like to say how good of a player he is I don't think I can. j.Bowen looks a million bucks when he is playing against opposition who are below par but goes missing when the tougher opposition really gives it to him. The fact that Wilkins is being compared to F'Sautia is laughable. Wilkins as talented as he is has poor positional play and an opposition number ten with a half decent kicking game and something between his ears will find him out for sure. BBC will definetly be a force to contend with next year but like previously stated lack of depth may be their downfall.

BSHS were woeful to watch in the first half..hurt my eyes to be honest however come second half they did stand up and it was one try to nil. Dont count on the boys from the high school being pushovers like last year. Its safe to say the GPS comp. this year will be far closer then in previous years.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
You mentioned Horan twice but as I understand terrace were trailing Dalgliesh at 9 and Fowler at 10. Fowler didn't play too well at 10 but Dalgliesh was giving some brilliant ball to both Fowler and his forward runners I would be disappointed if he gets dropped after that performance. That wing said Horan had an outstanding game in the 16 A's. tough decisions ahead for coach Gibb. Also no McNamee, no Hiale. Terrace backline looked better than churchies that being said Nigel didn't play. Terrace couldn't compete against a churchie pack missing their star Digger Macmillan. It will be interesting to see if, with a healthy forward pack, what schools will Terrace be able to match upfront?
Woops my bad. Yeah I didn't see the game so I couldn't comment on the performance of players but I know that ACGS will definately be missing Schafer this year. Do you think there's any chance of Horan going to 10 and Dalgleish staying at 9?

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Also has it been confirmed if Hiale can play 1sts or not? Under the GPS rules there is no mention of this rule of players being able to play even if they come in term 2. Maybe Hiale is playing in 16's because he didnt participate in much of the pre season training or they simply don't think he is good enough (not sure havent seen him play)

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
I have had the chance to watch Bowen play some pretty high standard of football and as much as I would like to say how good of a player he is I don't think I can. j.Bowen looks a million bucks when he is playing against opposition who are below par but goes missing when the tougher opposition really gives it to him. The fact that Wilkins is being compared to F'Sautia is laughable. Wilkins as talented as he is has poor positional play and an opposition number ten with a half decent kicking game and something between his ears will find him out for sure. BBC will definetly be a force to contend with next year but like previously stated lack of depth may be their downfall.

BSHS were woeful to watch in the first half..hurt my eyes to be honest however come second half they did stand up and it was one try to nil. Dont count on the boys from the high school being pushovers like last year. Its safe to say the GPS comp. this year will be far closer then in previous years.

Hey Mitch:
1)I did not "compare " Wilkins with Chris F/S,>read the post!!i--I said he looked like him (at age 15 with massive thighs);
2) in any event you will find this week that he is named in the chairmans xv to play in Qld trials.Not bad for a 15 year old league centre in 1st year at fullback in union.; By the way Mitch-how many other 15 year olds made a rep team??+==(0)
3)yes Bowen went missing in defence at times last year but he did score some brilliant individual tries including 2 against BGS and 1 against TSS(not bad opposition Mitch);
4) in any event he is "gonski" to league next year.So Bellamy or Griffin see something you don't my friend.

Surely BBC cannot have as many injuries as last year??2 best players did not play asingle match and Junior played 2.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)

Bowen was red carded for throwing more punches than jeff fenech. What happens to a player red carded in GPS rugby?

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Woops my bad. Yeah I didn't see the game so I couldn't comment on the performance of players but I know that ACGS will definately be missing Schafer this year. Do you think there's any chance of Horan going to 10 and Dalgleish staying at 9?
Fowler is a leader of the GT team and will not be dropped unless he is injured. That being said I wouldn't mind Horan being given a shot to start at either 12 or 15 throughout this trial period just to see what terrace has to offer we playing another playmaker in their backline. I believe Horan will edge his way into the 10 jersey by first round but for cover for injuries I hope terrace trial him at 12 and/or 15 so they can make Dalgliesh there first replacement for any injury in the backline

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey Mitch:
1)I did not "compare " Wilkins with Chris F/S,>read the post!!i--I said he looked like him (at age 15 with massive thighs);
2) in any event you will find this week that he is named in the chairmans xv to play in Qld trials.Not bad for a 15 year old league centre in 1st year at fullback in union.; By the way Mitch-how many other 15 year olds made a rep team??+==(0)
3)yes Bowen went missing in defence at times last year but he did score some brilliant individual tries including 2 against BGS and 1 against TSS(not bad opposition Mitch);
4) in any event he is "gonski" to league next year.So Bellamy or Griffin see something you don't my friend.

Surely BBC cannot have as many injuries as last year??2 best players did not play asingle match and Junior played 2.

1. Tiaan is actually turning 16 this year.
2. Tiaan Played first XV football whilst in new zealand as a fourteen year old......
3. Would you rather have someone with good defence or good attack?
4. Bellamy and Griffin dont deal with junior recruitment so.........

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Tiaan is actually turning 16 this year.
2. Tiaan Played first XV football whilst in new zealand as a fourteen year old..
3. Would you rather have someone with good defence or good attack?
4. Bellamy and Griffin dont deal with junior recruitment so...

I think I get it Mitch....

You agree that as a 14 year old playing 1stXV type rugby in NZ he is no ordinary player. He is still 15 and has three years including this to show how good he can be at schoolboy level. Sounds pretty exciting!!

I have just looked at some video of earlier trials Vs BGS and TSS and it is clear there is a long way to go in terms of combinations. But Wilkins is physically confronting if he and the team can get it right. Barring injury a backline with Max Dempsey, Bowen, Nathan Russell, Quick, McLean, Sam Edwards and Wilkins with backup including Nanai, Seabrook, Harry Deck etc is an usually positive prospect for the College.

Feedback from others here suggest that State High were kept tryless on the back of stifling defence. Maybe a new rugby structure is developing under what looks like a more serious coaching team Tom Barker has put in place with Philpotts.

In any case we'll wait and see how the results run.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Noticed you've posted numerous posts about Hiale, questioning now if he's even good enough??..WOW!!!
Last w/end he was away at a training camp for U16's South East Qld Rep Team, (LEAGUE), carnival at pittsworth in the coming weeks. Which is why he didn't play last Sat in the first XV. I hear after carnival he will be fully committed to his Union and what I know of him I think he will be a handful.
I knew someone would say that hence why I said IM NOT SURE I HAVEN'T SEEN HIM PLAY read the post properly next time. But that's good to hear as I'm a terrace supporter

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
Noticed you've posted numerous posts about Hiale, questioning now if he's even good enough??..WOW!!!
Last w/end he was away at a training camp for U16's South East Qld Rep Team, (LEAGUE), carnival at pittsworth in the coming weeks. Which is why he didn't play last Sat in the first XV. I hear after carnival he will be fully committed to his Union and what I know of him I think he will be a handful.

Not taking anything away from Hiale's achievements but SEQ U16 rep doesn't really carry that much weight. Alot of the top U16 players are unavailable for selection.

Slayer

Frank Row (1)
Not taking anything away from Hiale's achievements but SEQ U16 rep doesn't really carry that much weight. Alot of the top U16 players are unavailable for selection.

I never implied that the U16's SEQ carried weight or so on, I just stated that he was away & that is why he didn't play against Churchie.
I am sure there were a number players that were unavailable for selection but you can't always keep everyone happy.

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
I never implied that the U16's SEQ carried weight or so on, I just stated that he was away & that is why he didn't play against Churchie.
I am sure there are hundreds off other players that are unavailable for selection but you cant always keep everyone happy.

Fair enough.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
oh shit it's 2012 groundhogg day all over.BBC have 7 out injured this weekend against TSS including Saunders,wilkins,Quick,Jerumi.Laefano,Karem Tauga-and Bowen suspended for 1 week. They need to look at their S&C program.Cricket score predicted.
Junior/lolo comeback all is forgiven. !

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
New kids at BBC this year: Wilkins, Swain, Tuuga, Laefano, Dempsey, Gunter, Helms and Leyland. Adding on Quick, Sala, Bowen, Peterson and McLean, that means about 10 or more players in their team will be on 'scholarships'. So will the team be:
1. Helms
2. Saunders (is he a hooker or loose forward)?
3. Sala
4. Swain
5. Leyland
6. Tuuga/Gunter
7. Peterson
8. Taukipulu
9. Dempsey
10. Bowen
11. ?
12. Russel
13. Quick
14. Mclean
15. Wilkins

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
Nudgee v Downlands should be a cracker on Saturday. I was under the impression that these sides didn't play each other anymore after a series of fiery stoushes back in the 90's - the fact that Downlands was generally pumping Nudgee wouldn't have pleased the powers-that-be at Nudges either.

If Downlands is a non- importing school as I suspect it may be I can't see how they will compete against Nudgee imports but time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.