• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Any details on the injury?

Injury was to utility forward Tom Rutherford-Taurua, I've had it confirmed from several of his 16A team-mates post game that he has torn a ligament in the back of his neck. The nature of the injury required the ambulance and subsequent neck brace, but no spinal damage.

I can't confirm this, but a few people have mentioned that he couldn't move his legs after the injury. I'll find him during the week and see what's up. Tom was a valuable member of the BGS First's training squad and it's sad to see him in such a bad way.

Seeing as no match report has been published yet (Grammar posters understandably still in shocked silence) I can give a quick run down. Final Score was 28 - 10 in favour of TGS

Team Match Ups as per program, I've highlighted the standout performances in my opinion. I'm not perfect, and I'm sure unhighlighted names probably made huge impacts that I didn't even notice

TGS / BGS
1. Sam Doyle ---------------------------1. Tom Spencer
2. Sam Castor ---------------------------2. Michael Murray
3. James McColl ----------------------- 3. Stuart McReight
4. Slade Martin --------------------------4. Fergus Baker
5. Mitch O'Hara ------------------------5. Dalton Cox (VC)
6. Yoni Meron --------------------------- 6. Jay Nyssen
7. Mace Hartley --------------------------7. Trey Kemp
8. Andrew O'Kane (VC) ----------------8. Paddy Dooley
9. Will Gilbert --------------------------9. Angus Yule
10. Thomas Kidston -----------------10. Fergus Halliday (C)
11. James Mooring ------------------- 11. Dan Forsyth
12. Harry Wathen (C) --------------12. Zac Laud
13. Dean Bender ---------------------13. Lachi Lanskey
14. George McCormick --------------- 14. Matt Marsden
15. Harry Whyte -----------------------15. Tom Sly

I asked some of the TGS students what had happened to Queensland Rep 13 Liam Jurd and was told that he had had a serious shoulder injury. I asked if it was the same shoulder as he hurt last year (that required a reconstruction) and was told it is the other shoulder. I heard that he would be back in 6 weeks, leaving him only to play State High in Round 9. Sad news for both him and the team.

Even now I'm not sure what happened in the game. Grammar's attack didn't posess any sting in it, and Toowoomba defended admirably. By the time Grammar had realised that the plan wasn't working it was halftime and they were down 14-5. Neither scrum was particularly dominant, and Grammar quickly had the measure of the Toowoomba lineout (they threw to 5. Mitch O'Hara on every single lineout bar one). That being said, Toowoomba still managed to retain the majority of their own lineouts and even disrupt some of BGS'. So the set piece was nothing remarkable.

In general play Toowoomba's forward were generally very well disciplined at the breakdown and nullified Grammar's hard working forwards much better than I could have imagined. On the back of that usually quick ball the transfer from 9 to 10 to 12 to outside was fast. Toowoomba so nearly scored in the first 3 minutes after going wide early inside the 22 only to be denied by a forward pass ruling. 12. Harry Wathen was excellent in both passing and running, frequently asking questions of the Grammar defence. Not only that - he's a bloody big bloke! Without a doubt the X-factor of the TGS outfit. The player who really surprised me though was 13. Dean Bender. I discovered the loss of Jurd early in the day, so I wasn't expecting anything from what I assumed to be a poor substitute in a weak side. But he played with a huge amount of heart and talent that belied expectations. He scored a great try after sprinting straight through the Grammar defensive line that impressed quite a number sitting on the BGS side of the fence.

From what I can tell TGS didn't have a particularly complex structure.
In the early phases of attack the forwards attacked around the corner of the ruck looking to beat the folding of the defence, usually only one pass out with not a single tip on in a single direction for 3 or 4 phases. No linkage between the forwards and the backs made this pretty easy to defend for BGS, but the forwards ran hard and got over the advantage line, and did well enough in support play to maintain posession. Once the forwards had battered their way up the pitch, 9. Gilbert would pass long and flat to 10. Kidston, who tore off across the pitch headed for the sideline. In some cases, 12. Wathen would drop inside for a short switch to slow down the sliding defence, and in others would stay wide (the drop option replaced by 13. Bender). When Wathen did stay wide he would stay back a bit deeper and encourage the defence to steal space, occassionally prompting a staggered d line. When scattered, he used his size to draw the wing, creating space for his wing outside. If the line stayed strong, he would take the tackle himself or look inside for 10, 15, or 13. He played a really good game decision making wise, and it was clear they built their attack off his strengths. Any future teams looking to avoid an upset would do well to shut down Harry Wathen.

It was a windy day that called for a lot of kicking, spearheaded by box kicks from 9, and grubber kicks behind the line from 12. Wathen or the outside backs.

Toowoomba played a game that was simple but effective, and won the game through their stoic defense. They look like a team that will certainly upset a few teams this season.

"Wooden Spoon Favourite" tastes a bit sour on the tongue :confused:

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
And I almost forgot; following a lifting tackle on BGS 7. Kemp, TGS 5. Mitch O'Hara was red carded (automatic one week ban, O'Hara will miss GT in Round 4) and 4. Slade Martin was yellow carded for his involvement in a fracas after the tackle.

This leaves a big hole in Toowoomba's lineout.

Just realised the last post was a bit long, I'm justifying it as the only information on Toowoomba available on the forum and so the details would be appreciated :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
./... snip..../..
I think you will find that NSW writers on the matter, such as "Hugh Jarse" will have a big interest in the Qld situation and write some interesting stuff - and so will others - but they may not visit a Qld GPS scholarship thread to give their input.

./.... snip.../..

I lurk on the QLD threads from time to time.

Several NSW boys that I have my eye on have been tempted across the border and I like to see how they are going.

I have some friends and relations from up in Red country as well.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some BBC defensive lapses against a committed BSHS. In the end when BBC controlled the ball they had too much class across the park, particularly outside backs. Bronson, Benroy strong and Bowyer, Edwards, Russell good in the backs. Tom Morrison showed enterprise at 15 moving up from 2nds. 2nds game was entertaining with BBC backs running in some great tries. Good to see running rugby at Miskin from the GWB. Max Dempsey at 9 again very good
BSHS first game away from home. It was obvious that a couple of the BSHS boys were carrying injuries. Although BSHS led early in the game BBC came home stronger and more determined to win. Be interesting to see how BSHS perform next week back at home.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Great gesture by the Ipswich Grammar community in allowing for a 1 minute silence before kickoff in rememberance of a terrace staff member who tragically died earlier this week. Brilliant stuff! http://twitpic.com/d66o95

In other news big congratulations to churchie on their big win on the weekend The Catholics wont be to happy being trampled by the Anglicans!

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Big round ahead, churchie at home vs college, and southport at home with nudgee. Possible premiership contenders play off this round.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Big round ahead, churchie at home vs college, and southport at home with nudgee. Possible premiership contenders play off this round.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Entertaining match at Miskin yesterday. Slow game up until half time (10 all) with the teams contesting very well. Dumb offside penalties from BBC lead to a Bin. Turning point in the second half was State High prop leaving field injured. Their scrum went to cactus and BBC took control. Plenty of tries in the second half (7 for the match) due to the free flowing nature. No more than 12 penalties in the match provided the entertaining spectacle. State High's mid field was dominated. Top players were State High #7 and BBC #12

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1st XV: ACGS 34 d NC 7; BBC 35 d BSHS 25; TGS 28 d BGS 10; GT 32 d IGS 26

16A: NC 32 d ACGS 0; BBC 36 d BSHS 8; TGS 12 d BGS 5; IGS 19 d GT 12

15A: NC 20 d ACGS 14; BBC 22 d BSHS 17; TGS 46 d BGS 0; IGS 19 d GT 12

14A: NC 20 d ACGS 17; BBC 31 d BSHS 7;BGS 24 d TGS 12; GT 15 d IGS 14

13A: NC 22 d ACGS 5; BBC 26 d BSHS 17; TGS 38 d BGS 12; GT 31 d IGS 5

Those results don't look promising for BGS just quietly. Either TGS is really starting to create some depth and taking the younger grades seriously or BGS have a massive premiership hangover across all age groups (except the result in the 14's). Either way that is not the usual story we are accustomed to

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
I think we watched a different game Sam - I thought that BSHS played 110% against a better opponent, and that intensity kept them in the game longer than they should've been. I thought BBC's execution and intensity was off at times !

Have to agree with Vegas. Even when it got to 35-14 BSHS refused to give up . They repelled wave after wave of college attack. I was so impressed with the guts of BSHS . The tackle by no 14 on a rampaging BronsonTakipolou 10 mtrs out was courage at its best BSHS must have had only 40 supporters there v 400-500 for BBC . Good luck to BSHS

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
Was lucky enough to see most of the churchie vs NC game and the last 5 mins of BBC vs State high.

What a performance by churchie. Really made Nudgee play to their game and were constantly putting the pressure on. Mack Mason is turning out to be one of the form halves of the comp. Imagine what this same team could do with schafer and Macmillan.

From what I heard and saw every time BBC ran the ball through their back line they looked very dangerous. Great strength in the forward pack with Dylan Leyland, Luke Peterson and Kareem Tuuga playing very solid. Tom Morrison who played fullback played very well setting up the first try apparently.

Next week shapes up nicely with The 2 winning teams versing each other. Though Churchie are at home I think the boys from BBC will pull away with the win simply because there backline defence is too good. They almost won it at Ross and i think this time they wont be as careless.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Churchie at home will be a real test for BBC, they have arguably the toughest draw playing both Churchie and Nudgee away and then the final match of the season against TSS. That could be an upset but for now Churchie has momentum and the centre pairing has been devastating the last few weeks. Mason and Fox will be the difference and BBC's record at East Brisbane is not good. Churchie by 15

TSS at home should get over NC but it will be a great match, both have everything to lose and NC need to rebound. Should NC get the win then the competition will be anyone's for the taking but TSS will be fresh from the bye and led around the field by Third and Clifton they will probably be too strong at home. TSS by 10

BSHS are running hot and cold but should be able to account for Ippy. The battle of the 10's will determine this one but it could really go either way. I'm liking the home side here but this could be the upset of the round. Still, BSHS by 3

The final match between TGS and GT is a tough one and could be the spoon decider. The red & black army have a solid side and will like their chances in the forwards but must not underestimate TGS out wide. It should be a close game but Tennyson could prove the difference, GT by 12.

BGS to smash D'lands. 30+

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
IGS with a bad start to their season, they might be able to snatch a win up against BSHS at BSHS. They'll really need this one to gain some momentum with the rounds going on.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
IGS with a bad start to their season, they might be able to snatch a win up against BSHS at BSHS. They'll really need this one to gain some momentum with the rounds going on.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Only a few rounds in and the number of undefeated teams has diminished rapidly. Here they are after three rounds:-

Opens - TSS
16A's - TSS, TGS
15A's - BBC
14A's - GT, NC
13A's - GT, NC

Good to see not one school dominating every age group but looks like some skews at the bottom and top end of the age groups. Although TSS and GT teams have enjoyed the benefit of the bye so it only reflects two games to date and not three that all the others have played.

Saying that, the TSS Open and 16's team are looking red hot and the GT 14's have form being unbeaten in the previous year.
The 14Ateams from GT and NC must be brilliant because the BBC 14A team that touched up BSHS in weekend looked red- hot. And the boy on the right wing who scored all the tries is eligible for under 13!

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Churchie at home will be a real test for BBC, they have arguably the toughest draw playing both Churchie and Nudgee away and then the final match of the season against TSS. That could be an upset but for now Churchie has momentum and the centre pairing has been devastating the last few weeks. Mason and Fox will be the difference and BBC's record at East Brisbane is not good. Churchie by 15

TSS at home should get over NC but it will be a great match, both have everything to lose and NC need to rebound. Should NC get the win then the competition will be anyone's for the taking but TSS will be fresh from the bye and led around the field by Third and Clifton they will probably be too strong at home. TSS by 10

BSHS are running hot and cold but should be able to account for Ippy. The battle of the 10's will determine this one but it could really go either way. I'm liking the home side here but this could be the upset of the round. Still, BSHS by 3

The final match between TGS and GT is a tough one and could be the spoon decider. The red & black army have a solid side and will like their chances in the forwards but must not underestimate TGS out wide. It should be a close game but Tennyson could prove the difference, GT by 12.

BGS to smash D'lands. 30+
I agree with what you say . Barker should keep Bowen at fly half and put Swain back in the team . The line out was poor againstBSHS. But above all he has to get over his tiff with Noel McLean and put him back in the side . He has now scored 5 tires in the 2nds -and has to be the fastest player in GPS and favourite win again the 100 mtr crown . The Melbourne storm want him but Barker does not ?. If Wilkins is not playing then Perese and Tunavula will be too strong. Churchie by 15

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

I'd say Ipswich has the spoon pretty much sewn up now, if Terrace clicks into form they'll finish above TGS, IGS and BSHS. Didn't watch Saturday, but must have really picked up after laying an egg against Downlands for 60 minutes.

The home field advantage around Tennyson also seems to be a bit of a myth. The crowds aren't what they once were, Internationals is very spaced out and Terrace still hasn't won a 1st XV match there since 2010 - hopefully that ends this weekend. Terrace still have a problem with size, especially in the forwards with Daniel Sitanilei gone, but they seem to have turned a corner and I doubt it'll be a 3rd year in the cellar.

IPPY75

Frank Row (1)
IGS were out coached. The backs tried hard but the forwards looked unfit and uncommitted. Sadly, it's going to be a long season for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.