• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
There a lot of dam good talent at Nudgee hard to get a spot in any team some young man are on a rotation roster to play 5ths and 6ths there is to many for too few teams they could have had up to 8ths or 9ths bust wasn't feasible i believe.
Sometimes who have to go with the hard knocks of life and it doesn’t matter what team you’re in its all about you school and your team mates and doing the best you can with the card that is dealt to you and let’s not forget it’s just schoolboy rugby.
Too much finger pointing and pressure is but on school players and junior players at this stage of the rugby careers its more about what they do after school and aligning themselves with a good club and situation in colts while attending University or working that’s where they start to mature as rugby players and develop into the players of the future.
I have read this forum for many years and not commented some of the comments are great and factually but some are just pies in the sky and downright worthless.
Rugby is a game that I hold close to my heart and is sometimes to passionate about it builds great friendship and memories for life and unfortunately not ever can play Super 15.
And if the coaches believe you’re not good enough for that team go with the flow work harder, player better turn up at training 10 minutes early and you might be surprised what will happen with hard work and some sweat and maybe tears.

That’s rugby.
Very simplistic view and also usually the view of "the favoured". There are some boys in Rugby who, even if they were to lose an arm and a leg, would still be favoured over the boy who turned up 10 minutes early and trained until midnight. Once you are off the radar you are gone! The favoured ones only have to make one good play in a game and they are applauded. That, unfortunately, is rugby.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Table so far:
1st: TSS, BBC, NC
4th: BSHS, GT, ACGS
7th: TGS, BGS
9th: IGS

TSS have only won 2 with a bye - official table as per http://www.gpsqld.org.au/.

1st XV POINTS LADDER
1st: BBC, NC - 6 points
4th: BSHS, GT, ACGS, TSS - 4 points
7th: TGS, BGS - 2 points
9th: IGS - 0 points
Round 5: ACGS v TSS; BSHS v NC; GT v BBC; BGS v IGS; TGS Bye

I posted earlier that I thought TSS had a relatively easy run up to yesterday and hadn't been tested, and were far from the outright walk-ups for the flag that everyone was forecasting. Having seen them play twice now, I haven't changed my mind.
ACGS d NC, NC d BBC, BBC d ACGS, with High, BGS, Terrace and TSS to deliver more results that will frustrate the final standings. This is the best comp in a lot of seasons, and there is a great 5 weeks ahead !!

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Very simplistic view and also usually the view of "the favoured". There are some boys in Rugby who, even if they were to lose an arm and a leg, would still be favoured over the boy who turned up 10 minutes early and trained until midnight. Once you are off the radar you are gone! The favoured ones only have to make one good play in a game and they are applauded. That, unfortunately, is rugby.

Sorry, but I have to disagree Will Reason - there are plenty of examples of where talent, or tenacity , has developed later than others - even at the wallabies ( eg Phil Kearns ). BBC's victorious team yesterday played a young fellow at fullback, at the school since Grade 8 but not picked in the original training squad at the start of the year, but he kept at it, kept training , and got his deserved rewards.
Don't be blighted by the current " arms war " nonsense and scholarships outbreak. Rugby is far from a game for the " favoured ones " as you say. The real joy of rugby is within the reach of everyone who laces up a boot - pushing yourself as an individual to contribute to the success of the team and your mates - this is what is sustainable far beyond the game or the season - hopefully the boys running around yesterday will appreciate that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Dear Taipan . I take my hat off to you . You know your stuff or you have a crystal ball because that is exactly how it panned out. Mate - we need your predictions for next week.!!

There is no doubt BBC's work at the breakdown and general forwards play won them the game. Their loose forwards were faster and better in support in broken play, ACGS's loose forwards were typically too slow to contest and support the ball carrier in break-outs, or were far less effective in doing so. ACGS needed to dent BBC's impressive forwards' momentum through turnovers and they regularly had difficulty doing this.

It's no excuse, but ACGS badly miss the injured Macmillan at 7 and Scott-Young in the pack, the latter being an exceptional ball carrier in tight and very capable in the scrum. From father to son.

The other measure of this is ACGS's exposure to pick and drive-based attack moves against them in their red zone. Essentially, they lost to BSHS and BBC in almost exactly the same way, last minute forwards-driven tries under or near their posts that they couldn't avert through either forcing a turnover, knock on or opposition penalty close in. The inconsistency in this aspect of their play is bitter-sweet as they defended exceptionally well in 2H v NC when NC was camped on their line for long periods, and somehow ACGS routinely forced them into knock-ons and other handling errors.

Another ACGS decision unremarked upon here was their captain's decision v BBC to have Nucifora (9) take a penalty kick for points in 2H when the game was not yet quite in the balance and when ACGS had regularly scored 7 points when they got into BBC's quarter. The kick got them the 3 points IIRC to put them 5 ahead of BCC whereas a try then would have put them 7 or 9 ahead. They ended up losing by 2 as BBC scored a converted try at the death. The ancient dilemma for rugby captains: take a near-certain 3 points, or fight for 7. This time ACGS's conservative choice may have cost them the match.

Congratulations BBC on a fine win. And BTW, although I am a Churchie parent, I stood in admiration for the exceptional rugby played by BBC's 15A team. Wonderful to see such an obviously well-coached team play with such complete skill and tactical composure leading to, cough, total domination of our 15As.

Admire rugby excellence when and how found, and the game will always uplift and enrich.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I have to agree on the penalty decision.. well in the first half anyway it was like an under 6's game, everytime a team got into the red zone it was try time. The second half was a little tighter, so was it the right call? The right call was to probably stop the try adjacent to the posts at the end and win regardless

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good sportsmanship shown by Nudgee yesterday at TSS. Not one ran onto the field after the game. I agree with the previous posts, Nudgee forwards had a lot to prove and succeeded. This comp is open and anyone can win. Looking forward to the next.

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
Mr Caviar - you were half right BBC did make silly errors and Boyer- Bowen did push passes , their line out was a shambles and they had 3 penalties in attacking positions where they failed to find touch. That is what kept ACGS in the match !but gee the Churchie 10,12& 13 are exciting. Why did Churchie put that new boy on at half-time in front row none of their old boys that I was with new who he was .?

That boy was Richie Asiata. He only came to churchie from State hih 3 weeks ago. He plays seconds.

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
May predictions for round 4.

Nudgee over TSS by 10
Nudgee will be gutted by their loss to the churchie boys and I believ will stop at nothing to beat TSS and prove that they are mortals. Expect Tuttle to have a blinder. Knowing him, he wants this premiership more than anything. Magnay is back! and he is more than capable of handling Tanuvasa.

BBC over ACGS by 10
The Boys in green are firing this season and there backline defence is awesome. Russel and Quick are impenetrable. This week Wilkins is back and will be ready give churchie a bit of their own medicine. Bowen will be the difference.

BSHS over IGS by 12
IGS are looking quite poor this season with a couple players really not hitting the mark. especially in their forwards which always used to be their strong point. No flair in attack either. State high are hardworking and should grab the game.

GT over TGS by 5
I think the only reason TGS beat BGS was because of BGS's terrible injury woes which includes the like of Pat Morrey who was essential to their premiership dreams. GT are coming of the back of a good win and Larosa is back. Larosa will easily handle Wathen.

Now I dont want to boast...actually I do. Every prediction correct

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thoughts on the ACGS v BBC game.

Both teams were pretty evenly match with a see-saw'ing affair in the first half. It was nearly a repeat of last weekend at Ross Oval with Churchie conceding an early try only to bounce back with two of their own. Both teams relied heavily on the 10-12-13 combination, in particular Churchie with Mason and Tanuvasa playing key individual roles in their first three tries. BBC inside centre Russell was awesome, dominant in both defence and with the ball, he was assisted ably by his 13 who didn't really come to life until the second half. I thought Fox was very prominent in the first half making a few big runs including offloads but it was clear he would tire and lose impact at some point. At half time I thought it could have gone either way, most facets of play were pretty even and the ref was having a good game.

Second half was very tight early and the forward battle started becoming very important. BBC #8 really stood up and started influencing the game with big runs and important calls. BBC #1 was also very good and as soon as the substitution of ACGS #3 was made the game changed significantly. I thought ACGS #18 was very good around the park but come scrum time he just got dominated. Mason became very quiet except for his huge clearance kicks and ACGS seemed to rely heavily on #13 Perese, who scored a great try. Rarely did either side throw the ball past OC, the wings only really got involved on kick returns and in broken play but had very little influence. Towards the end BBC just wanted the win more and ACGS were playing really defensive rugby, the kick at goal was arguably the wrong decision but it nearly paid off a few minutes later when Tanuvasa picked up a spilt ball and had a clear sight of the line - someone had knocked it on back up the field and so it was another scrum. Had that been a try all would have been over, but it wasn't to be. BBC kept possession and played territory racking up phase after phase until there was room in the backs. Very disciplined display from both teams in the second half but both would consider the first a very scrappy affair. ACGS lost the forward battle in latter stages of the second half and that was the only difference between the teams.

Better team won on the day. Not sure who I would be handing out man of the match honours to as there were stand-outs all over the park, BBC #12 and BBC #8 were outstanding, #9 and #10 also played very well. Special mention to ACGS #10 and #12, they were a class above the rest of their teammates.

That BBC team was good, I'll be curious to see how they go against GT next weekend. As for ACGS, there goes any premiership aspirations, can't help but feel that MacMillan would have been an important player for them yesterday when they really started losing the battle of the breakdown. Regardless that was a great game and best of luck to both teams for the rest of the season.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
GT vs BBC is going to be an absolute cracker out at tennyson. Must win game for both teams to keep their premiership hopes alive. You'd have to say Terrace will go into the match as underdogs against a very strong BBC team. In saying that, Terrace is coming of a 40+ victory and will favour their chances as they beat BBC last year. Churchie came up with a similar perfomance against toowoomba and gave it to nudgee the following week.

ACGS vs TSS will also be a cracker, with both schools coming of devestating losses at home. They will be out for redemption. Expect both schools to come out blazing.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I am very much looking forward to GT v BBC at Tennyson... always a great atmosphere and should again be an absolute cracker. I can see it being very close again. GT should not be underestimated and have a very proud rugby heritage.

This season is still wide open

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am very much looking forward to GT v BBC at Tennyson. always a great atmosphere and should again be an absolute cracker. I can see it being very close again. GT should not be underestimated and have a very proud rugby heritage.

This season is still wide open

Agreed. I think Terrace will definitely fancy their chances and shouldn't be considered underdogs at home.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
NC have given TSS a bit of their own medicine for last years upset on Ross Oval.
Round 5 should be interesting (home team named first)
ACGS v TSS
BSHS v NC
GT v BBC
BGS v IGS

I predict
TSS by 10
NC by 20+
GT by 2 (Would probably back BBC if I wasn't a terrace boy)
BGS by 14

The local toowoomba game will be packed as usual looks to be a close one too

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
What a great weekend of results, certainly makes the back half of the comp interesting!

Can anyone share their thoughts on where IGS are going wrong? A team list from yesterday?

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)
What a great weekend of results, certainly makes the back half of the comp interesting!

Can anyone share their thoughts on where IGS are going wrong? A team list from yesterday?
In order for igs to succeed they need to ask more questions of the opositions defense. Hayes seems to have sustained an injury yesterday so that'll only setback igs's attack more. It is however important to remember a large number of the igs first xv are only grade 11.

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
quote="Black234, post: 523189, member: 9998"]Whatever happened to breeding 1st XV players from grade 8 through to 12?

BBC had 8 of the run on side in 1sts today who have been at school at least since grade 9 - 2,5,7,8,11,12,14,15. 4 more have been there for the last 2 years (1,3,10,13) with the remainder in grade 10 or 11. How many other schools have more than half of their current run on side at the school for that time?[/quote]

In the Terrace side that overpowered TGS were 9 that had been there since year 5, 4 since year 8, and only the #3 2years, and #13 this year. I doubt any other schools would come close to that home grown effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.