• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Has anybody (other than TGS and Downlands folk) ever made the trip up the range for the Downlands vs TGS clash? I've always meant to, but I've always been busy playing/coaching and this year my timetable permits me the opportunity. Is it worth it or would I be better off staying in Brisbane and watching my alma mater?

oldref

Bob McCowan (2)
Has anybody (other than TGS and Downlands folk) ever made the trip up the range for the Downlands vs TGS clash? I've always meant to, but I've always been busy playing/coaching and this year my timetable permits me the opportunity. Is it worth it or would I be better off staying in Brisbane and watching my alma mater?

Big crowd evenly split which rivals Nudgee v Terrace in some years - game is always close even in bad years for either team. The town absolutely roars that night with all the old boy reunions.

Johnny13

Peter Burge (5)
Round 5 Overview:

ACGS V TSS
The neat as a pin, always smiling, but quietly fuming Churchie crowd will be rooting for an upset here. Once again they seem to be writing a few rugby cheques that their bodies can't cash. It'll be no different on Saturday, as TSS win the breakdown and send the Range Rovers scurrying to a shady champagne tent at a nearby Polo Match.

BSHS v NC
State High might go close here. NC played a Mini-GF last week and don't be surprised if a couple of the Blue & White Stars are carrying injuries into this.
If State High use their backs and stretch the NC defence then anything could happen. Some one might even smack that silly, blue bear that runs around at every NC match. Never know your luck.

GT v BBC
The god fearing Black & Reds will be doing everything known to mankind to put the Toowong lads off their game. If I was the BBC team I wouldn't be grabbing my lunch from the GT tuckshop prior to the game. (It could be shades of the Allblacks at the SA World Cup). BBC aren't that sure what to do on top of the table and if they worry about this too much they could be mid- table by the end of this. GT to give them a healthy dose of slap and tickle but the College to get away with it.

BGS v IGS
This game is a bit like the Afghanistan conflict. We know it's happening, but we would rather not go and we're not sure who deserves to win. That said IGS will be smarting and they have a pretty good team. BGS aren't what they were last year and have had the week off - which might just go against them. IGS to lob a few hand grenades early and sneak away from Northgate with a win under their kaftan.
This may be right however. If Macmillan is playing it would be a bonus but it won't be a walk in the park for TSS. Will be interesting to see how they go though. In the front row especially. Brown and Fox will be a good show to watch. Both very skilful. Should be a cracker though. TSS may get the win just. Won't be a blowout

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like Barker will be running Tiann Wilkins on which might put Tom Morrison back to the 2nds. On top of this, Ben Gunter will go into the 2nd row instead of Darcy Swain. Strong team, will the boys from terrace be able to run them down? At home with plenty of support!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
BGS>IGS 24-17

Winning is a habit, and I don't think it's one IGS will start this Saturday. Not sure if Captain Landan Hayes is playing, but if he's not I assume the score will balloon out in favour of Brisbane.

TSS>ACGS 33-15

TSS will be smarting and will look to unleash upon on upstart Churchie team that just might be feeling they have a chance to knock TSS off their pedestal for the second week in a row. However, Churchie, even with Mason-Tanuvasa-Perese, is no match for TSS's starry side. TSS will be baying for blood after the upset, and unfortunately for Churchie it will be them looking down the gun barrel with their season falling to pieces around them.

BBC>GT 31-20

This match hinges on how Terrace start the match. If they can put a few points on early they stand a reasonable chance. They've been playing much better footy than most pundits are giving them credit. That being said, I predict BBC will pull out in front at the 50th minute and hold on to the lead from there. Should be a pretty good game I think :)

NC>BSHS 24-21

No doubt about it. Nudgee are in the prime position to take out a premiership this year, having the easiest draw far and away on the home stretch. If they realise this, and start to relax at the "assured" premiership I believe State High has the potential to give Nudgee a bloody good fright. If Nudgee do play to the level they did last week, it will be a blowout in favour of the Butcher Stripes. But I'm quietly optimistic.

I'd love a BBC-Southport Grand Final, even if it is to decide who shares a premiership with Nudgee :p

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Looks like Barker will be running Tiann Wilkins on which might put Tom Morrison back to the 2nds. On top of this, Ben Gunter will go into the 2nd row instead of Darcy Swain. Strong team, will the boys from terrace be able to run them down? At home with plenty of support!
Yes a stronger forward pack than last week but I hear Wilkins might still be injured.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
I would like to add that for BBC to continue to win games they need to sort the shit out with their first half defense. They have periods where they defend very well and periods where they leak in multiple tries.

Taking a closer look, against Nudgee in the first half it was even for about 15 minutes, BBC scored and then Nudgee hit back with 3 quick tries within 10 minutes.

The same happened at Churchie - scored first and then started leaking, again three first half tries. Up 17 - 0 at half time at toowoomba they let in two soft tries to let them right back into the game. If it isn't addressed sooner or later it's going to cost them a game (and the premiership)

I have noticed that it typically takes Tom Barker and co having a half time meeting to sort it out. they play tighter in the second half and have closed out games (apart from Nudgee).

If I was at GT this week I would be targeting this in a big way. GT need to put all kinds of pressure on in the first half, develop a big lead and then defend it like their lives depend on it.

Also I don't understand the decision to play McLean for seconds. IMO the current right wing is poor under the high ball and prone to making stupid knock ons and to my knowledge hasn't been good in attack anyway. Stick Mclean in and he will finish what Bowyer and Russel start in midfield please.
Completely agree. Did you see mcleans try with his 1st touch of ball last week . .?He really did look like a guy that that does go under 11sec for 100 mtrs

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
ROUND 5 (17 / 8 / 13)

ACGS v TSS
TSS have better form and structure in the forwards and will keep it with their piggies for as long as possible. If the Churchie backs don't get the ball, they don't score. TSS by 10.

BSHS v NC
Another loss will shatter the hopes of the boys in blue and white so they'll be coming out firing against a State High team that are looking at a mid table finish unless they can produce some real quality rugby. NC will need to shut down the BSHS 10 and rumble it up through their big runners to get away with a win by 12.

GT v BBC
We've already had one major upset this season so why not another? Terrace are dangerous on home turf and their backs have been looking flash. College will need to switch on in the first half if they want to be in this game against a GT team fired up after a big win the previous week. GT by 2.

BGS v IGS
There's always that one team in the competition that does completely crap and IGS is looking to be it. Sure, they may come away with a win against a scrappy opposition performance but I can't see Grammar being that side, especially when they're at home. The boys at the switch will stay at the bottom. BGS by 22.

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
My Round 5 predictions

Nudgee vs State high
Although State High are not bad this year especially around the backs Nudgee are simply too solid with tuttle, magnay and maclean Jones consistently producing great performances. As many others have said on this site, if state high can spread the ball wide with Iosefa they might trouble the nudgee backline but not to great extent.
Nudgee to win 25-7

BBC vs GT
There has been a lot of hype talking about GT being a solid side and that they are a good chance of upsetting BBC. I dont think so. The teams they have played so far have been quite poor (TGS, IGS) and the one good team they have played, (TSS) have exposed them as the team they are. In saying this they do have some quality players such as Horan, Mcnamee and Larosa. Mcnamee is terrific at the breakdown. BBC are just too solid around the park. Halfback dempsey is just awesome and hes joined by a stellar backline including Bowyer who I believe is one of the best players in the comp. Benroy Sala will have a big game.
BBC to win 35-18

Churchie vs TSS
In my opinion this is the game of the round. Churchie have a great backline but its the forwards that have been letting them down. They tire too easily and dont get involved enough. Fox made some solid runs against BBC but in the second half he had very little impact. I have not seen TSS play but from what I have heard they are pretty quality. Third has great vision.

*** If Macmillan is back I reckon Churchie will win by 1.

If not then TSS by 10

BGS vs IGS
How Interesting! this game last year decided who would be the only undefeated team thus far and this time its to prevent being on the bottom rungs of the ladder. I think this is the upset of the round. Anderson and Hayes are starting to fire up and Jamason is a very powerful ball runner. BGS injury woes are bad and IGS are overdue for a win. Morrey was a big blow to Grammar.

IGS to win 30-20

TGS vs Downlands
Don't know, don't care.

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
My Round 5 predictions

Nudgee vs State high
Although State High are not bad this year especially around the backs Nudgee are simply too solid with tuttle, magnay and maclean Jones consistently producing great performances. As many others have said on this site, if state high can spread the ball wide with Iosefa they might trouble the nudgee backline but not to great extent.
Nudgee to win 25-7

BBC vs GT
There has been a lot of hype talking about GT being a solid side and that they are a good chance of upsetting BBC. I dont think so. The teams they have played so far have been quite poor (TGS, IGS) and the one good team they have played, (TSS) have exposed them as the team they are. In saying this they do have some quality players such as Horan, Mcnamee and Larosa. Mcnamee is terrific at the breakdown. BBC are just too solid around the park. Halfback dempsey is just awesome and hes joined by a stellar backline including Bowyer who I believe is one of the best players in the comp. Benroy Sala will have a big game.
BBC to win 35-18

Churchie vs TSS
In my opinion this is the game of the round. Churchie have a great backline but its the forwards that have been letting them down. They tire too easily and dont get involved enough. Fox made some solid runs against BBC but in the second half he had very little impact. I have not seen TSS play but from what I have heard they are pretty quality. Third has great vision.

*** If Macmillan is back I reckon Churchie will win by 1.

If not then TSS by 10

BGS vs IGS
How Interesting! this game last year decided who would be the only undefeated team thus far and this time its to prevent being on the bottom rungs of the ladder. I think this is the upset of the round. Anderson and Hayes are starting to fire up and Jamason is a very powerful ball runner. BGS injury woes are bad and IGS are overdue for a win. Morrey was a big blow to Grammar.

IGS to win 30-20

TGS vs Downlands
Don't know, don't care.

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
BBC..GT

If Bbc forwards secure quick ball for there 9 the Bbc back line will be to strong
with the extra punch of wilkins playing at 15.
Gunter will add a bit more starch in defence for the Bbc forwards,Sala & Petersen
have been able to match it with any of the props they have played against this year.
A tight game early but Bbc to mobile later in the game.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member

Russ

Frank Row (1)
Have been watching the past few downlands games, the #4 has been playing some solid rugby as well as the #8 who is all but unstopable in the lineouts

Russ

Frank Row (1)
yeah mate, always worth the venture. Great display of UFC shown by both teams

Status
Not open for further replies.